Surplus Marine NCO Sabers

I've been casually looking off-and-on for a sword, and recently came across some surplus USMC NCO Sabers for a price that, to my understanding, are significantly lower than the original price. So I have two questions:

Does anyone with experience with these know what the build quality is like?

Would military people frown upon someone who isn't/wasn't a marine owning one of these sabers, even if it's a surplused one?

Pictures needed.

There were some fakes of antique Marine cutlasses floating around a couple months ago.

USMC official noncom's and officer's swords are made in India these days.

Well if the staff at KeepShooting weren't lying (and they seem trustworthy to me) they were USMC sabers from Camp Pendleton, so probably official. I assume if they're made in India then the OEM is Windlass? They're actually sold out already though. It's been only a few days but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. There was probably either a very low quantity or they sold like hotcakes.

I guess I'd still like the original question answered though in case these are offered in the future. I try not to display military symbols or military emblazoned memorabilia because I'm neither military nor from a military family, and I don't wish to false advertise. I'm also not a collector of any specific military items. My understanding is some consider the saber a special part of the NCO dress uniform, especially in the marines, so I figured I'd ask around.

Last edited:
This is just my opinion. I'm from a military family, and served myself. Frankly, I don't see any problem with you owning and using such an item. If indeed it was surplused out by the military, as a taxpayer, you paid for it ! At least surplused items return a small portion of the costs. This is no different than rifles released through the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

It's damned sad IMO that we have to get our military swords from India, but that's another topic.

WKC of Solingen is a larger supplier of military swords. Guessing at where the sold swords were made is a waste of time. They were possibly pre Vietnam, so Spain and India as suppliers back then were probably not involved. The primary source was German companies (Eckhorn, Horster, etc.).

Cheers

GC

Back