1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Sweat on VG-10

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by wuyeah, Sep 12, 2012.

1. wuyeah

wuyeah

Sep 29, 2005
    Hello,

I was trying to wipe finger print off my delica, and found out there are marks around the holes just can't be wiped off. light soap wash still can't get off.
    I start to think can it be caused by hand sweat during summer time got on it and I didn't notice and didn't do anything to clean off at the time and might have cause the VG-10 Steel react with sweat?

After all, sweat is like salt water....

It is hard to come through from photograph to show you guys though.

2. Steel130

Steel130 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Other than H-1, I am not aware of any steels that are truly stainless. So even steels dubbed stainless can still rust and stain, they should be called stain resistant. Some peoples sweat will cause rusting, other it won't. It comes down to the body chemistry of the individual. But to answer the question, sweat could be the culpret.

3. panch0

panch0

Jun 16, 2008
    Try some WD40. I tried that on my Balance and it wiped the rust spots off with some pressure. +1 on the H1

An extra fine scotch brite pad might work as well.

4. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    Flitz should clean it right up.

5. Bogie

Bogie

Dec 14, 2005
    I have not noticed any of this on my ATR that has ridden in my pocket for 7 years an as a fireman is see a bit of sweat maybe its the black coating.

6. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I agree with Fanglekai. Flitz is the product that you need.

7. berserk87

berserk87

Sep 16, 2009
    In my experience VG-10 is pretty corrosion reistant, but as you have seen, it can rust. I carried a Matriarch on all of my bike (bicycle) rides for about a month before it showed signs of rust. It got pretty sweaty during that time. I got tired of chasing rust spots and using Tuf-Glide all of the time (due to my own laziness) and ended up switching to a Spyderhawk in H-1.

8. scrinmaster

scrinmaster

Mar 4, 2007
    The VG-10 should hold up pretty well. I wear my Endura to the gym, and it gets pretty damp and sweaty, but no rust. I've worn my Endura in a salt water pool for a few hours and it just got a couple spots of rust that came right off with some CLP and a paper towel.

9. knife_fan

knife_fan

May 1, 2012
    This is why I carry a H1 in Summer.

10. knife2Agunfight

knife2Agunfight

Jan 11, 2012
    I second the Flitz.

BTW, I learned the hard way not to use the rough side of a sponge when cleaning rust off. I scratched the side of my Spartan and my Leek to hell with it.

11. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Flitz works really well for this amd it's inexpensive. The little cup will last you years.

12. BLUEGINGER

BLUEGINGER

Aug 8, 2012
    I second this. +1

13. jasonp

jasonp

Oct 7, 2002
    This is my VG-10 Dragonfly running rig. I carry this around my neck when I do my nightly 5 mile runs. I sweat like a ***** in church and all I do is a quick wrinse with tap water when I get home and no rust issues THUS FAR.
    [​IMG]
    JP

14. adnj

adnj

Aug 15, 2006
    +1 on the rinsing. Your particular body chemistry will react differently with different steels. A quick rinse and dry will work wonders.