1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Swedish military axes (with lugs)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    If anyone happens to get one of these, please report back with your impressions. I'm not a fan of flat-cheeked axes, and mail-order military axes can be hit or miss, so I think I'll pass (for now). But that price is attractive ($18 or $16).

7" head, 4.5" edge, total weight 3 lbs 10 oz.

Handle length listed as 27.5", but it's probably around 30" since they seem to measure only the exposed handle (based on previous axe purchases from Sportsmans Guide).
    [​IMG]

2. Bridger

Bridger

May 20, 2009
    I really like the look of that. I'd love to hear a review if you buy one. Any ideas on who makes them?

Edited to add:

Nevermind. I just bought one for myself. I'll submit a full report in 3-7 days. I've really missed my Wetterlings large hunters axe and I think this make fit the bill. I just hope they were made by Hults Bruks like the previous round of axes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  3. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    yeah, i saw that too. it does look interesting... wouldnt it be something if they were made by GB...

4. Blunt Forged Edge

Blunt Forged Edge

May 15, 2012
    Is that what appears to be a Crown embossed on the handle under the eye?

5. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Yeah, actually 3 crowns, the same mark is on other Swedish military axes that I have.

6. Bridger

Bridger

May 20, 2009
    Excellent! So it is a HB. I should have ordered more. I can think of a few of my friends that would love one of these.

7. Blunt Forged Edge

Blunt Forged Edge

May 15, 2012
    I'm no expert, but from what brief Google[ing] the three crowns (Tre Kronor) is basically a known national emblem of Sweden. But I stand to be corrected.

8. scruffuk

scruffuk Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Spot on. The Tre Kronor mark simply denotes its Swedish Army issue/surplus.
    They may or may not be individually stamped with a makers mark.

I picked one up a good few years back, did a bit of modding on it, and its been my go to firewood axe ever since....
    [​IMG]
    Mine is marked with the SAW (Wetterlings) logo :)

9. Ravaillac

Ravaillac

Feb 14, 2005
    Yeah the three crowns are a national Swedish emblem.
    Basically all Swedish military equipement (and hence surplus) is marked with that.

10. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    Well, I hope they end up being good, cause I ordered two of 'em yesterday!

11. Blunt Forged Edge

Blunt Forged Edge

May 15, 2012
    Now I'm really liking that!

12. doc trinidad

doc trinidad

Aug 29, 2009
    I see they have used and new axes listed which are you guys ordering?

13. scruffuk

Jan 14, 2010
    Cheers.

What might not be apparent is the fact I re-profiled the top of the head, flattening it off. That took some time too!!

In doing so it did expose something interesting though; this axe has a steel insert cutting edge. From what I remember from an interview with the CEO of Wetterlings, this would date my axe to the 70's (or before).

14. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    The used ones for me, doc.

Scruff, that thing looks awesome. Did you do the paint on the bottom around the haft?

15. scruffuk

Jan 14, 2010
    Thanks. The head was covered in a rather tenacious blue paint. It was almost impossible to get off the underside of the head, especially as its rather roughly finished.
    The handle was just sanded to remove the layers of varnish, then I set the blow torch on it, sanded, and repeated a couple of times. Finished it with some BLO.

16. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    Steve -

Thanks for the post and the info. Looks like maybe it could be a hell of a worker, especially if deemed that by the military, you know they want to keep basic functionality and prices low. Thats what I say it looks like a worker. I bet if properly taken care of, it would last a long long time.

Nice post. Thanks!

Mike

17. cckw

cckw Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2008
    Did anyone try one of these?

added: I see they are now out of stock until July 23. I went ahead and ordered a couple

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  18. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    I ordered two. Should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know, cckw.

19. Bridger

Bridger

May 20, 2009
    Mine came in yesterday. I would have posted then, but I wanted to get a reply from Sportsman's Guide before I commented. I ordered three of these because I figured my brother-in-law and a buddy of mine would like one too.

In short, the axes pictured are not what you will receive. All three of the axes were by different makers (Which isn't a surprise. Different companies could be hired to fill a quota or just change over time.) and were of slightly different shapes and weights. The axes they have do not have lugs and are not in the carpenter-like pattern of the one in the photo. I gave brother-in-law the Hults-Bruks that I received and I kept an older, possibly unmarked (unless the maker's mark is hiding under all the paint) axe that had a nice geometry that I liked.

I received a reply from Sportsman's Guide today that they actually don't have any axes that resemble the one in the ad (I would have bought two more if they did) and they couldn't hand pick certain types from their stock to even assure a certain maker. I'm not disappointed with what I got, but I am annoyed that they don't even have any like the axe pictured. That is at least negligent false advertising and they really need to change the photo. I wanted a smaller axe like this for my collection, but if I was collecting a specific type and wanted the one pictured I would have returned them.

Buyer beware. If you are looking for a decent, medium-sized axe and don't mind putting on a new handle, this could be a great deal. If your wanting something like in the picture, don't get one. They do seem to be of good quality and two out of three don't have flat cheeks which is a plus, but they aren't as advertised.

20. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2011

Sadly I'm not surprised. Sportsman guide has always, imho, ran on the edge of shifty. Don't know why I thought this would be any different than the last tme I used them. I ordered one myself, should show up tomorrow. Would you mind posting pictures of what you got for us? Thank you Sir.