1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Sword ID

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by rwn2000, Dec 20, 2016.

1. rwn2000

rwn2000 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 6, 2003
    My friend picked this up at an estate sale in South Carolina. the only information he got when he bought it was that it was from the 1800's. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

We are thinking it might just be a blacksmith's show piece and not an actual sword.

thanks for your help

randy

2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Maybe a cooking spit?

3. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    I concur with the idea of it being some sort of one off blacksmith made something or other. I've never seen any historical piece (or otherwise for that matter) that looks even remotely like this. I have seen plenty of decorative ironwork done by blacksmith's however that looks like this. Notably blacksmiths did not make swords.

4. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    The item does not look like a practical sword. It lacks a grip and appears to have never been sharpened or ground. It's construction seems to he more of a spike than a sword. Those flanges down the main blade by the "guard" I have never seen on any sword I know.

5. gadunz

gadunz

Dec 4, 2012
  6. J W Bensinger

J W Bensinger KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 26, 2009
    +1 on it being a spit-though it could be a blacksmithy wallhanger.
    That loop at the top was a pretty popular finial in the ornamental blacksmithing crowd when I was still doing it

7. JJHollowman

JJHollowman

Jul 16, 2016
    I think it's a stake of some sort. Push it in, then use the guard to "stomp it in". Tie horses or tents in windy areas to the top ring.