1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Sword luggage?

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by Oberu, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Oberu

Oberu

Dec 20, 2012
    Greetings!
    I'm about to make a trip and I'm taking a sword and several knives of the larger variety with me. I've done this in the past and some of the items were broken somewhere in transit. My question is do any of you know of luggage that would be sufficient for this? I was thinking of buying a golf bag in hopes that it would be rigid enough to protect the carved wooden bits on handles and such. I appreciate any information or ideas. Thanks!

2. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Back when I flew w/ archery equipment, arrows were easily bent in any standard box and they fit awkwardly in hard side luggage.

I took a length of 4" schedule 40 pvc pipe and glued a cap on one end and a female drain out fitting on the other and then used a male fitting to cap it. Had a chunk of foam at the capped end to protect points.

For a "security" lock, I drilled a 1/2" hole through the pipe and female fitting, screwed in the male fitting, marked where holes the holes would line up and drilled a second set into two sides of the male fitting. I would run a 12" to 16" zip tie through both set of holes. TSA could easily cut the tie for physical inspection, which would also alert me if it was opened. I carried spare zip ties for the return trip.

For a handle, I sewed a piece of nylon strap to 2 medium dog collars with the adjustable plastic buckles. I had the dog collars adjusted to be fairly tight around the pipe. When the pipe came down the luggage carousel, I snapped the dog collars around the pipe (at 2 Sharpie lines on the pipe for a predetermined balance point) and carried it like a little suitcase.

Prior to TSA BS, I would just carry the pipe on as carry-on luggage, with as many as 36 32" arrows w/ points.

Depending on the sword, you might have to go up to 6" pipe depending on the width of any guard/quillons.

3. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    The easiest way is to get a rifle hardcase and use a TSA approved lock to keep the casual ramp rat out of it. And depending on how much you want to spend, a traveling guitar case will work great--if it's good enough for your axe, you can trust it with your sword. In my roadie days, I saw some that would have survived a plane crash well enough to play at the band's funeral.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  4. SouthernComfort

SouthernComfort Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 8, 2011
  5. GWashington1732

GWashington1732 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Just stick it in your carry on they won't mind. :p

Is shipping it to your location an option?

6. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
  7. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    Pelican bought Hardigg, because they have superior products. The storm case is awesome.

8. berzerker

berzerker

Jan 27, 2002
    You can buy hardside cases from any supplier of fencing equipment; or, do what many fencers do...buy a golf travel case from some discount house (cheaper option, and essentially the same thing. If you're carrying more than one blade, or will carry items that might knick the edge (or which the edge might damage), I would do as suggested with the Schedule 40 pvc pipe (in addition to the golf case).

9. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I have a hunting rifle hardcase that holds several swords and knives. I wrap all in cloth and pack to give some room between everything. It will go as regular luggage. A TSA lock will help, but people in the back all have the keys. Placing an unloaded cheap pistol in the case and checking it in with TSA as a gun will make sure no one touches it.