1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Tactical Pocket Cutie in Ironwood Burl (better photos added)

Discussion in 'Knife Maker's Gallery' started by PIndelicato, Dec 18, 2011.

1. PIndelicato

PIndelicato

Sep 16, 2002
    I just finished up an order for a fellow forum member for one of my Tactical Pocket Cuties (so named by the customer who purchased the first ones I made), a Dress Tactical Pocket Box Cutter model. Comments and questions are welcome; thanks as always for viewing my work!

-Flat ground 1/4" 5160
    -~3" blade, ~6" OAL
    -3 finger tang w/ beautiful slim Desert Ironwood burl scales, black G-10 spacers, SS pin and thong tube
    -Mill scale and heat treat coloration were left intact on the flats to contrast with the machine finished surfaces
    -Sheath is a dark brown handsewn and wet-molded Wickett & Craig Premium cowhide ambidextrous pocket sleeve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really struggled to capture the depth and detail of the figure in the Ironwood burl scales for some reason...the pictures in this case just don't do them justice.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. blindhogg

blindhogg

Feb 21, 2001
    I would call it a SBAK, Small bad ass knife.
    CW

3. PIndelicato

PIndelicato

Sep 16, 2002
    Thanks Chris, I appreciate the comment!

4. Mountain Wildman

Mountain Wildman

Aug 29, 2010
    Pretty awesome!!
    Reminds me of a meat clever.
    If it was mine I would call it a
    Butchers Neck/Pocket Knife.
    Joseph

5. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    That's really awesome. I think with 1/4" of steel it would fall through my pocket, but it's sweet. Do you plan to make any thinner ones?

-Daizee

6. Shawn fu

Shawn fu

Dec 10, 2005
    That is cool!-The desert iron wood looks great.

7. PIndelicato

PIndelicato

Sep 16, 2002
    Mountain Wildman, that's a good name too; thanks for your comments!

Daizee, thank you as well for the feedback! I actually have thought about making some in thinner stock, but haven't done so thus far. Please feel free to PM me if you would be interested in one.

Shawn, I love ironwood and this particular piece is really cool, but it didn't want to photograph for some reason. Thanks for the comment!

8. chainring

chainring KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2008
    Holy smokes, I need one of those. That is cool!

9. PIndelicato

PIndelicato

Sep 16, 2002
    Thanks for the nice words Matthew, I appreciate them!

10. fugazy

fugazy

Jun 25, 2010
    It looks really nice, I love the thickness and the design. Good job.

11. PIndelicato

PIndelicato

Sep 16, 2002
    Thanks for the nice words fugazy!

12. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    Funky crazy cool piece. Nice job on the chisel tip.

13. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Wow! I am going to start saving for one. Awesome work.

14. PIndelicato

PIndelicato

Sep 16, 2002
    Thanks Salem and Rockywolf!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  15. adamrockcrawler

adamrockcrawler Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That is Badass! How does it fit in the pocket?

16. David Sharp

David Sharp

May 23, 2008
    Very nice; I like none stabby blade shapes!

17. Revenuer

Revenuer

Dec 10, 2011
    That's damn cool.

18. PIndelicato

PIndelicato

Sep 16, 2002
    Thanks adam! I suppose it depends on the size of your particular pockets, but for me it fits in front jeans pockets, back jeans pockets, etc. One gentleman who purchased one from me wore overalls for work, and he was carrying it in the chest/bib pocket of them. The handle scales are shaped thin for a low profile in the pocket.

Thanks David and Revenuer, I appreciate the comments!

19. PIndelicato

PIndelicato

Sep 16, 2002
    I meant to update this post with these awesome photos RyanW sent me a while back and I totally forgot (sorry, and thanks again, Ryan!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  20. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Nice.

I made a square bladed knife, with exposed tang, and it is surprisingly useful blade shape. (I was enamored of the Razel profile).

I have used the design a couple of times to do weird odd jobs (I used it to chisel out strike plate grooves on a couple of doors with a mallet).

One of the things that appeals to me is it looks very utilitarian.