Tactical vs traditional

I wouldnt call the mini-grip tactical at all, its just modern. Why do you think its tactical?

Get one with a blue grip, problem solved :)

Is the Para Military 2 really considered a "tactical" folder? Its seems, to me, to me more of just a great EDC knife. I think tactical would be more like
the Zero Tolerance line of folders.

Traditional was okay when I was working and had one blade made into a screwdriver, which I used at work sometimes. Now, I'm retired and I've got screwdrivers on my workbench in the garage.
I like the looks of tactical knives.
Sonny

I think a lot of us are calling knives tactical when they are one-hand opening and locking. Few of them are for actual combat or even combat zones, but the fantasy lives on! They are modern utility knives. I like them, I carry them, I've even used them in the kitchen. But fixed or traditional are more convenient for use, tactical are more convenient for carry. :)

I like both, I have a Case slimline trapper, and its almost always in my pocket even when I have a "tactical" knife. I really wish that word would be replaced with modern more often.

Hey, which one do you guys prefer for an edc - work knife a tactical or traditional folder and why. I am trying to choose between a Benchmade Mini Grip with M390 and a Case Stockman with CV.

For me, it's traditional all the way. I sold off all my Spydercos a couple years back. I prefer the superior cutting power of a thin, sharp blade like on my Case. I also got tired of pocket clips catching on things and either scratching furniture (in one embarrassing case) or pulling the knife out of my pocket. Also, I'm a 44-year-old father of three who has a good job working at a computer all week. I just felt a little silly pulling out an Endura to cut a thread off my little girl's sweater. Also, I quit playing army when I was about 9.

For me, it's traditional all the way. I sold off all my Spydercos a couple years back. I prefer the superior cutting power of a thin, sharp blade like on my Case. I also got tired of pocket clips catching on things and either scratching furniture (in one embarrassing case) or pulling the knife out of my pocket. Also, I'm a 44-year-old father of three who has a good job working at a computer all week. I just felt a little silly pulling out an Endura to cut a thread off my little girl's sweater. Also, I quit playing army when I was about 9.
Leads me to my question. I'm a Spyderco noob, and I'm curious, does anything like the PM2 or the Caly 3.5 Super Blue have the same slicing potential as say a SAK or Case knife? I have plenty of prybar fixed blades, so I'd like a nice constant slicer EDC that doesn't need a pouch.:thumbup:

Leads me to my question. I'm a Spyderco noob, and I'm curious, does anything like the PM2 or the Caly 3.5 Super Blue have the same slicing potential as say a SAK or Case knife? I have plenty of prybar fixed blades, so I'd like a nice constant slicer EDC that doesn't need a pouch.:thumbup:

Remy, try a Case sodbuster in CV. Nice wide blade with great geometry for slicing and dicing. Very light for it's size and carries well in the pocket without a pouch.
Carl.

Remy, try a Case sodbuster in CV. Nice wide blade with great geometry for slicing and dicing. Very light for it's size and carries well in the pocket without a pouch.
Carl.

I have one, haha. I enjoy it. Not easy to get to for myself though. I tend to keep a lot of stuff in my front pockets. I keep a SAK in a pouch behind my right hip, but I would love a more modern edc equivalent to these types of blades.

If by tactical you mean one hand opening I really rely on the one hand opening when only carrying one knife. The number of times I am holding something to cut in position, or even holding the grill lid while checking the steaks and I use one hand opening is by far my greatest consideration when carrying an EDC. Now while hiking I carry a SAK plus a fixed because opening isn't really an issue but opening cans is.

I carry both modern folders and traditional ones. It feels more honest using a traditional knife to cut a loose thread or trim a fingernail than whipping out a 4" black blade tactical.

I'm curious, does anything like the PM2 or the Caly 3.5 Super Blue have the same slicing potential as say a SAK or Case knife?

No. Compare the blade thickness. The SAK will slice an apple into quarters, while the Spydies will split the pieces in two like a wedge. I'm not saying Spydies are bad knives; in fact I will always recommend them to someone looking for that sort of knife. But for my real-world knife use, I just prefer a thinner blade, like what you'll find on a SAK or Case or Opinel.

1st thing's 1st. if you can get a Mini Grip in M390 for a decent price- BUY IT.

now that that is out of the way....

ive been edc'ing a traditional (congress in D2), but i also have an M390 MiniGrip, the Mini in M390 is a fantastic knife and will out perform a Case any day of the week. i have lots of Cases in various trim and like them well enough but they just cannot compare to that MiniGrip. especially if you install a set of Wilkins (or similar) grips on it, mine is in that configuration and there isnt a knife on the planet id trade it for.

As they say, what you see depends on where you sit. I don't need a heavy-duty, rapid-deployment blade for self-defense or workfloor use. I'm too old and slow to care. But I still like to cut things. :)

Recent acquisitions: L'Ecureuil (A spear point variant of the Douk Douk), GEC Northfield Ben Hogan (slipjoint with a long narrow spear point blade), and as of yesterday, my JKFFXL is on the way! (John Kiedaisch Friction Folder XL).

When you don't need the security of a lock, a slipjoint is actually more efficient. Open, cut, close. No fumbling with a lock removes a step each time you take it out to use. Sometimes that can be a lot. Replace your Spyderco EDC with a UKPK and see.

It isn't either / or. I've got almost as many tactical as I have Bladeforums posts. :D
OK, not quite as many ... but keep a slipjoint handy, too.

This is a post I missed because I had to take a month off due to a medical problem I had. So now I've gone all the way back to my last post before I started up again on June 25th. That means I had to go back 58 pages, so there may be a few more ressurections before I get back to the current time.

I picked this post because I like both styles, have both styles, and carry both styles daily. I will have one "tactical" styled knife in my right front pocket and a "traditional" style slipjoint in my left front pocket. For the past 6 months the tactical has been a BM 275 Adamas, a BM 810 Contego, and for the past 2 weeks a LionSteel SR-1-B. My traditional knife switches between Case, to Hammer Brand, to Rough Riders, with the latter 2 being made in China. Right now it is a Hammer Brand Swell Center Jack, and I have been really surprised with the fit/finish/sharpness/ the ability to stay sharp and sharpen back up of these China made slippies.

Like Esav, I have gotten older and no longer do as much camping as I once did, or even just taking a day and going hiking. There are many days where I do not even need a knife, even though I have two in my pocket. You might think that it is odd for me to carry them even though I don't use them much, but I just like to carry them because of the quality of them, because they make me feel secure, and because I just love knives and have always liked them and had them.

So I don't see having to choose to carry one style only and say go for both styles, after all normal pants have at least 4 pockets so you can't say you don't have room!

It worries me that so many people seem to view knives as weapons and not tools. Many folders can be open 1 handed; do you really need to do it in a fraction of a second? If you're hoping to use your knife as a self defense weapon, you're deluded. Sell your knives and buy some running shoes. Running like a coward is the self defense of the true survivor.

I don't have a single nostalgic bone in me, and so for me the latest is almost always the greatest. I don't like outlandish designs but if a better steel, a better grip, a better lock, a better deployment or a better handle material comes along, I'll take it. Does that mean a tactical folder? I don't think so, modern is a much better descriptor. Some may indeed have a tactical designation but most are just modern designs.
It's a purely human characteristic to want to drive old sh1tty cars, listen to vinyl records, watch VHS tapes and use 19th century folders. I like proven technology but the more modern the better.

Back