Tanto in a folder

Looking for a tough tanto folder. I want big and over built. Give me some ideas on custom and production knives please. I like a tanto that is more blunt then stretched. If that makes sense.

Less expensive: my buddy has used a tanto CRKT M16 for years and loves it. It's a big blade.
More expensive: the Emerson/ZT colab comes in tanto. They are beefy. May be too pointy though.
Cold steel makes too many to list.
I now EDC a tanto micarta sebenza 21. I hear the tip is much stouter than on the tanto Umannzan.
Michael Zieba makes his S1 and S2 in tanto occasionally. Super affordable, tough customs.

This
DSC_0884.jpg

Looking for a tough tanto folder. I want big and over built. Give me some ideas on custom and production knives please. I like a tanto that is more blunt then stretched. If that makes sense.

For starters, I'd highly recommend getting a ZT 0620! :thumbsup:

If you have some extra money to spend & you want a beefier, nearly indestructible tanto, try either a Medford Mini Praetorian or a Strider SnG. Both are amazing knives!

Good luck & welcome to BF's! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
If you want to remain in the affordable/cheap range you could take a look at cold steel. Im not a fan of their knives but you might like the voyager tanto.

Cold Steel Recon 1. Great ergos, excellent steel, and the strongest lock in the business.

Cold Steel Recon 1. Great ergos, excellent steel, and the strongest lock in the business.

Probably. This is pretty good bang for buck, too, and was what was in my pocket today, the compass will give you an idea of scale. It's a Kershaw Emerson cqc-8K.

N9OUsII.jpg

Good to try before you decide if real Emersons are your thing.

Tough, Big and Overbuilt are in black

Less than $50:
Kershaw Cryo, Kershaw Blur, Kershaw CQC series, Kershaw Link
CRKT M16
Ontario Utilitac II
Cold Steel Pro Lite, Cold Steel Voyager
(AUS8)

Less than $100:
Cold Steel Recon 1, Cold Steel Voyager
BM Mini Grip
SOG X-Ray, SOG Zoom, SOG Vulcan
Gerber Propel

Less than $150:
Cold Steel Golden Eye, Cold Steel Recon Tanto XL, Cold Steel Voyager XL
BM Barrage, BM AFO II
Buck Marksman
Extrema Ratio BF1
Steel Will Apostate, Steel Will Onrush

Less than $250:
Emerson CQC 7, Emerson Bulldog and others
Gerber 06 FAST

Probably. This is pretty good bang for buck, too, and was what was in my pocket today, the compass will give you an idea of scale. It's a Kershaw Emerson cqc-8K.

N9OUsII.jpg

Good to try before you decide if real Emersons are your thing.
I've been retinning that one for a while as well. Is it a full chisel grind, like the CQC7?

I've been retinning that one for a while as well. Is it a full chisel grind, like the CQC7?

Full banana :D Left hand chisel grind. Almost feels like a real cqc-7 except is more refined in fit and finish, G10 isn't as rough, scales are well flushed, you know, vs the real Emersons! ;). Liner lock (steel) - so far I have had no issues with lock stick or apparent premature lock wear.

Ergos are prettty much identical. If not a little better, as the visible (IMO ugly) jimping on the mid spine is a nice place for your thumb to choke up on when doing finer work.

Only drawback that might or might not be a big one is 8Cr13MoV. I find it's ok. It's Kershaw 8Cr13MoV. This is a beater knife. It's easy, dead easy to resharpen, obviously one needs to do it often.

TLDR; Otherwise, for all practical purposes, this is a CQC-7 with just an ever so slightly different shape and inferior but usable steel at a Kershaw low end price.

Edit:The recon 1 probably is a better choice as you can get it in a monster sized blade, in better steel, if that's the OPs desire, but just throwing this out there. I'm an Emerson fan and this spares wear on my real Seven.

Ei6s6dx.jpg

I'm quite confident it will do well with reasonable use. :) and no, I don't baton stuff with anything other than my BK9 or cheap Chinese monstrosity bowies.

Last edited:
Back