Taylor's Eyewitness

It's already a worn and damaged knife. What are you wanting, just to polish it up a bit? A clean rag, a bit of oil, and some elbow grease won't do any harm. Personally, I wouldn't bother beyond that, but it depends what you want :thumbup:

Ah, but there's guessing, and there's knowing ;)

True true.

If Taylor's is not producing, at least until they have a new building, is Wright's the only manufacturer currently making knives in Sheffield? I know that there are a few little mesters like Mr. Shaw still at work from Jack's posts, but is Wright's the only factory at present?

If Taylor's is not producing, at least until they have a new building, is Wright's the only manufacturer currently making knives in Sheffield? I know that there are a few little mesters like Mr. Shaw still at work from Jack's posts, but is Wright's the only factory at present?

Jack Adams is still making knives, mainly FBs. They also sell folders with the John Nowill mark.

Eggington Group sell knives under the Rodgers/IXL/Ibberson names they own. Also marketing knives under the 'Sheffield Collectable Knives' name.

There are a number of manufacturers of kitchen and butcher knives.

I did talk with Taylor's Eye Witness on3-7 -2017 and again 3-13-2017 and they assured me that my Lambsfoot was now made , finally , but not shipped . They claimed that they were having difficulty in obtaining Acceptable Quality Ramshorn . I was having , and still may have , problems receiving E-Mails from the UK and even had trouble making a phone call to the UK. So it would APPEAR that TEW is producing some product . My order was to take 6 to 8 weeks from 1-3-2017 . So we will see . I still have no evidence that I can get an E-Mail from the UK .

Harry

Update on my very small TEW's collection . I guess having 3 makes a collection ????
2 Barlows and now Lambsfoot

Only 1 more to go .

Harry

That is the photo I was looking forward to seeing Harry :) :thumbup:

Harry - that Lambfoot Eye Witness is just great- well done my friend!

Thanks a lot Duncan , but if you are talking about the Jigged Bone one , I wanted it to be Lambsfoot , but after measuring it a few times , I could find no Taper to the blade width . So therefore , I believe it to be a Sheepsfoot . I like it a heck of a lot anyhow . It is a very solid knife with Steel Pins and Liners . It has one tiny tight crack in the bone on the Mark Side by the Butt End Pin . Pull is probably an 8 and it snaps open and closed like a big croc . It does need some cleaning on the Bone and Blades but at least some fool Did Not ruin it by trying to over clean it . Now I just have to try to determine an approximate age . I know for a fact that it is older than my other 3 , but you don't have to be a genius to figure that out . I have already tried to sharpen it at 15 Degree per side and it came out like a razor . Well maybe not quite , but it is okay for me .

Thank you again for the very kind words my friend . I am hoping that I will get to meet up with you this summer .

Harry

Last edited:
Now if we had a Sentinels of the Sheepsfoot thread, that would be a charter member! It will be interesting to know its age, but it sure was very well cared for having seen some honest carry at some point. Nice!

Very nice knife regardless, Harry. You have an outstanding display there, too. Very compelling to consider the comparative lines of that quartet.

Harry. It's always a fine line between the two - in fact when I posting I deleted Sheepsfoot and replaced it with Lambsfoot as I was unsure when looking at the photos. Either way my friend- I like it no matter the name.
Harry- it would be a great highlight to meet you at the Rendezvous- let's hope my friend. I will bring a wee present for you just in case 👍

Harry. It's always a fine line between the two - in fact when I posting I deleted Sheepsfoot and replaced it with Lambsfoot as I was unsure when looking at the photos. Either way my friend- I like it no matter the name.
Harry- it would be a great highlight to meet you at the Rendezvous- let's hope my friend. I will bring a wee present for you just in case 👍

Will be talking to SWMBO about that today .

Harry

Very nice knife regardless, Harry. You have an outstanding display there, too. Very compelling to consider the comparative lines of that quartet.

I will give you some comparative pictures and some dimensions . If there is more that you want , let me know .
There are 4 in total . 2 Barlows , 1 Lambsfoot , and 1 Sheepsfoot .
Left to Right
#1 Barlow has 2 blades , Clip & Pen , Ox Horn Covers , Worked Back , Yr. 2014 and 3.45 Long
#2 Barlow has 1 Clip blade , Ramshorn covers and plain back , Yr. 2014 and 3.45 Long
#3 Is a Lambsfoot with 1 blade , Ramshorn covers , Worked back , Yr. 2017 and 3.6 Long
#4 Is a Sheepsfoot with 2 blades , Sheepsfoot and Pen , Jigged bone , and plain back , Yr. ??? and 3.69 Long

The Barlows have the Squared Off Ends

The Barlows handle Up-sweep is on the Blade side and the Lambsfoot and the Sheepsfoot handle up-sweep is on the back side . The Barlows handle up-sweep is also a little more abrupt meaning that it starts farther away from the pivot end .

Handle thickness picture is hard to tell that the 2 blade Barlow is the actual thicker of the 4 . Left to Right /// .67 /// .67 /// .63 /// .72

Now Right to Left :It is a little hard to tell with this picture , but all blades are centered pretty well , even the Old Sheepsfoot . The Barlows have Brass Pins and Liners and the Lambsfoot and Sheepsfoot have Steel Pins and Liners .

Main Blades only :
Over-all Length : Barlows = 6.09 /// Lambsfoot = 6.32 /// Sheepsfoot = 6.32
Blade Length : Barlows = 2.62 /// Lambsfoot = 2.75 /// Sheepsfoot = 2.62
Cutting Edge : Barlows = 2.19 /// Lambsfoot = 2.45 /// Sheespfoot = 2.38
This is just a very subjective measurement or opinion .
Most Comfortable in the hand when making a Cut with the Blade Turned Away from me . # 1 = Old Sheepsfoot then Lambsfoot .

Harry

Back