1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Thank You Giveaway...WINNER on pg.3!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by confucius37, Aug 7, 2012.

1. confucius37

confucius37

May 18, 2008
    In the short time that I have frequented the Traditional forum I've learned more than I'd ever thought I would about knives and the people that use them, make them, collect them, and in general enjoy them. I get a lot of enjoyment from reading all the stories posted here and drooling over the wonderful pictures of beautiful knives. To say thank you to all you here that take the time to post such high quality material, I'd like to host this giveaway in honor of your generosity.

The question I pose is: What do you enjoy about knives?

I enjoy using them, I like to work with my hands, I like the feeling after a "job well done". I like tools in general but there is something uncanny about the combination of great beauty and great utility in knives.

Rules are pretty simple:
    1) there are no rules*

The winner will receive this Case Small Texas Jack with CV blades and Amber Bone Covers along with a WR Case black suede knife pouch.
    [​IMG]

I'll ship it anywhere in the world.

*as long as you follow the traditional forum guidelines

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  2. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Fantastic give-away...thats a lovely knife.
    Im not too sure but I really hope Im not going to sound silly by saying this ...but I enjoy the knife ...as in aesthetically, the way it handles, the actions etc...more so than the use.
    Anyone can use a knife, and anyone can use any old cheapo knife...but Traditionals bring out the classy looks, quality and all that with usefulness.
    Everyday I carry a beautiful knife, that I am so proud to own.

3. brets-ftw

brets-ftw

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks for the giveaway, it's very generous of you.

What I enjoy about knives, well to give you a little back story, I was always one of those kids who took everything apart. Might not figure out how to put it back together, but I sometimes managed, and one those rare occasions when I could put something together for different bits and pieces, well it was the best feeling. Fast forward a few years and a knife became the do-it-all tool. These days I've toned down what I do with my knives but that feeling is still there, the tinkerer inside. Now coming from an artistic japanese family there was a saying that always went about. A craftsman; whether a potter, blacksmith, carpenter, imbue a little bit of their soul into their workings, a bit of themselves into the work. With traditional knives I feel that holds true. Something about a worn down jigged bone scale, scratched bolsters and the heavily stained blades just shouts character. So when I start carvin up a storm in some spruce or pine, the feel of the knife just seems to make it more complete then any of the new aged knives. Not to mention the thinner stock seems to glide right through the wood.

Brets-ftw

4. trevytrev

trevytrev

May 4, 2010
    What a generous GAW!

I like being prepared to tackle jobs that require a knife. I like that my wife or kids, when faced with a situation that requires a "sharp"(as the kids call them), will ask me for help. I wholeheartedly agree with the job well done sentiment, very satisfying:thumbup" Good luck to everyone and thanks for the chance.

5. neeman

neeman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Enjoy?
    Interesting

I think I have carried a knife for the past 50 years
    From sharpening my school pencils, to working as an electrician to now as a hi-tech worker
    So on one one level it is only a cutting tool

But...
    I enjoy sharp cutting instuments
    I enjoy the ascetics of knives, hand made by someone
    A $20 knife can hold as much interest as a $90 knife
    I enjoy the very sharp blade
    And knowing the blade is very sharp
    Holding as a worry bead to turn it in my hand
    And then the different patterns and their designs

6. RogueBowie

RogueBowie

Nov 16, 2011
    Wow, takes a real generous person to give away such a beauty. Thanks for the chance.

I enjoy knives because they are so often initially misunderstood just like many of us. Sometimes I am with family or friends and we get in a bind or come across a predicament. Sometimes the situation calls for an edged tool. When they first see a blade come flicking out I see the looks in their eyes if they are among the family or friends who have not been exposed to my hobby. Looks of surprise, even fear. Then I get to the task and afterwords safely put the knife away in my pocket. I can see that change that happens to some of them. The eyes that looked scared now look curious and inviting, there is now an interest replacing the fear and from there I know I have a chance to convert another person from being afraid and nervous to even be close a knife into a person who is confident and self reliant, carrying their own little helper tucked into their pocket.

Thanks for the chance.

7. mike Berkovitch

mike Berkovitch Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Thanks for lovely GA knife. I enjoy the combination of an everyday use tool and precise craftsmanship, this combination had always fascinated me.
    Mike

8. Nightshifter

Nightshifter

Jul 27, 2010
    Please count me in and thanks for the wonderful chance. I love owning and using a good knife every day. Whether it's using a stockman for projects around the house, to my trusty SAK w/corkscrew for opening wine at an outing; or using a trapper pattern for field & stream.
    Always have a knife and love 'em.
    Paul

9. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I've often pondered that each of my ancestors going back until the beforethings time would have at least once in their life sat and gazed into a fire.
    It's likely also that they would have appreciated the usefulness of a knife of some sort.
    The traditional knife links us to these past events and people as well as to the future.
    The newer production of tradional knives speaks of quality materials,precision and knowledge.
    cheers.

10. comoha

comoha

Jan 12, 2006
    Thank you for your kind generosity.

Having worked in machine shops all my life, I enjoy the precision crafting of the steel. It's functional art to me. Being a lover of nature I
    am taken with the way bone, stag and other natural materials can give a cold metal tool such character, soul and warmth.
    I am reassured by the heft of a slipjoint in my front pocket that I have on me someting that can give me an advantage under
    various circumstances. I feel nostalgic that such things were carried by my grandfather, and the men in his life before him.

11. freezergeezer

freezergeezer

Oct 29, 1999
    Thanks for the generous giveaway.
    For me, it's a tool first and foremost. But I was brought up to look after tools (not without much neglecting or even returning of my Dad's tools over the years, I confess). In my world, a tradesman or craftsman is, in part, defined by their tools. Your tools earn you a living, and over time you develop an attachment to the special ones, the ones that have stood up to all you can throw at them & keep on going.
    I have several tools that are still in good or perfect working order, but live at home now simply because I'd be devastated to lose them. They've done their work, done it well and deserve to be cherished.
    I deliberately buy high quality tools that need a bit more looking after. I don't like my tools to be all chrome, I like character and besides, I simply don't trust a highly polished surface not to slip. So I buy the old style Bahco adjustable spanners, for example. The phosphate finish needs some rust prevention, but develops character over time. And they are simply the best adjustable I have ever used.
    I try to pass this on to apprentices. That it's alright to buy cheaper tools to get you out of a tight spot, or where you know you're going to use the so seldom it doesn't make economic sense to buy the best. But the tools that you rely on every day, to earn your keep - spend money. Get the best you can afford. Look after them & they'll look after you and (hopefully) eventually become much prized heirlooms.

So, after all that long winded diatribe, for me the enjoyment is in looking for the knife that best suits that description. That changes over time, depending on what I'm doing and how I'm earning a living. I have tried many knives over the years, mainly since finding this & other knife fora & am still enjoying the search. I have come closer & closer, and while I still buy & use modern knives, I find it's more often the traditionals that give you that 'special tool' feeling.

12. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    what a great comp

I enjoy seeing a NKP struggling with a task they realy should have a knife for and enlightning them :D

13. Vanguard41xx

Vanguard41xx

Dec 29, 2010
    Thank for this giveaway!

What I like about collecting knives is the hunt (talking finding older ones). It gives me a lot of excitement when I find an old jewel in a junk box or in the bottom of a display case.

14. Turk88

Turk88

Aug 11, 2011
    Thank you for the generous giveaway opportunity. I enjoy the look and feel of a well made knife. I also like to have a proper cutting tool to be used by myself but, also for others who need something cut with a well cared for and well sharpened blade.

15. Humppa

Humppa Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Thank you for the generous GA :)

What I like about knives - that´s how they feel in hand and in pocket. I like it when they get a nice patina and the the nice sharp edge they may take. The tool-like thing is, of course, during working with my knives.

Next thing is, how it is when a little package arrives. The excitement of taking them off the package and looking at them. I know, a little strange. And the hunt, while ordering knives is great.

Kind regards
    Andi

16. megnin

megnin

Jul 8, 2012
    Thank you for your generous Giveaway!

What I enjoy about knives is that each is a work of art in it's own way. There are masterpieces, amateur works and fakes just like in canvas art. I enjoy having a "masterpiece" work of art that I can not only look at and enjoy it's beauty, but hold in my hand, use it and admire the work and craftsmanship that went into creating it. I find a simple elegant design just as beautiful as an elaborately ornate one.

17. iahunter3

iahunter3

Mar 2, 2011
    Thank you for the generous give-away.
    What I enjoy about knives is the continuous search for the pattern that is most useful and appealing to me. To me the knife you carry tells a little about yourself. I enjoy having that "worry stone" in my pocket, but it is very useful in many tasks. I like to pick up a stick in the yard and sit on the patio while the sun drops whittling away the days stress.

18. jakemex

jakemex Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Good looking GA choice! I have several modern knives and they have their uses, in my case use where I don't want my traditionals to be abused or blades dulled on dirt or other surfaces.

I was admiring my slimline trappers lately, especially the well worn Case CV yellow delrin model that I have used since my father-in-law bought it for me in the mid-70's. That was until I picked up my trapper in SS and chestnut bone. I hadn't warmed up to it until lately. The SS just never seemed to sharpen up quite right by hand. So, I bought a Smith's Field Kit with Diamond hones and set angles for sharpening to see if I could maintain my modern blades as they came from the factory and try to put an useable edge on this Case SS. I finally got an edge that I could use. This knife had other issues from the time I bought it. Not long after taking it home the bone cracked at the spring pin and it had a hairline crack that developed at the junction of the bone and non-pivot bolster. Sure enough after a short time it broke and a 1 5/16" triangular piece fell out. 5 minute transparent epoxy came to the rescue. This really made it one of the knives that had been put in the knife drawer and then after time into the metal box where the rest of my unused knives live.

I really like to carry larger knives and I felt bad leaving this one in storage. After hanging around this forum now for several months and considering that one day soon the Trapper will get it's turn as TOTM, I took it out to see if there was any redeeming qualities that might liberate it from its prison. I really liked the weight and size and the feel of the jigged bone as compared to the polished delrin. I also got to looking at the springs and liners and noticed there were no gaps and that they were flush at the pivot end when closed. I opened up the main and then the spey and noticed that the springs were both still flush and my jaw dropped. All this time because of the cracks and SS etc. I was distracted by a few minor things and bypassed the great finish overall that the knife had. I'm still bummed that the shield side scale is messed up and not perfect but this ole trapper has it's spot in my right pocket now and has left the prison box for life.

The Traditional Forum has given me a new perspective seeing how all the older knives here with broken blades, scraped and damaged scales and some sharpened beyond much further use are fawned over and praised. This is a great place to spend time posting and lurking and enjoying.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  19. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    Thanks for the chance. My first knife was a Case 2 bladed pen knife with a bail, and jigged bone handle. Still have it.

Ric

20. odd

odd

Mar 31, 2012
    awesome giveaway! Thank you!!

Knives I own:
    the look.
    the sentiment behind some. example my first knife was a SAK given by my father or the first knives I bought my kids (birth year case trappers).
    the feel ( nice bone, grippy g10 etc).

Knives I don't own:
    Seeing new interpretations of new and old knife design and process.
    The desire to own. :)