Thanks Sal: me & spyderco vs 2 pit bulls

glad you are okay man and well done for the reaction. I carry at least a para when I walk my dog because you never know what can happen.. either from another dog or human attacker. I am lucky to live near a quiet suburb area with a friendly park, rarely see a dangerous/threatening dog since most everybody knows one another.. but that doesn't mean you should leave your blade at home.

traumadoc, thanks for the great story, and glad that your two dogs are OK. The fur on the knife in the second picture is more chilling than the blood in the first for some reason. I almost wish you gave some more detail! It was inspiring enough that I have a knife retail site open right now browsing Spydercos :p

Were you in a crowded area when this happened? After seeing in dog runs how chaotic scuffles can be, I can't say I'd feel confident in my aim with a knife or a gun if any dogs were to attack mine.

Perhaps too late, but, with all due respect, I think the thread would not have gotten derailed and still make sense if it were simply titled "me & spyderco vs 2 dogs."

I hate to hear you feel that way, but I suppose there are plenty of other types of dogs you could have and love. Being educated about pit bulls is important. First, they are/were trained to be dog aggressive, not people aggressive. Most attacks are on other dogs, and they typically win. Attacks on humans do happen (you will hear about every last one in the media) but not really at a higher rate than some other dogs. Most attacks are from a group of free-roaming pit bulls and they usually attack a small child (disliking them more I bet, and understandably so) or an elderly person. Good pit bull owners always keep their pits leashed and contained properly because of their dog-aggressive tendencies. But, a properly raised pit that is socialized with other dogs and raised with children can make a wonderful pet that is not anymore dangerous than a lab, collie, or you name a breed. I am not trying to change your mind or anyone's mind on them, but feel that knowing the facts is important to understanding what the problem is. It is the owners' not the dogs, as most people know.

Exactly. Fantastic post:thumbup:

Don't close the thread. I just saw it and showed it to my wife. I've tried to get her to carry a knife while she runs for a long time. Thanks for sharing.

I am impressed by your ability to keep a levelhead and protect yourself and loved ones. As a parent of 2 little girls (3 and 5), I personally can't stand pitbulls - the statistics and virtually every single owner/dog pair I've seen in my area has only affirmed this dislike.

I feel sorry for you and your children, and I hope that your girls will become more educated then you are. Ignorant people mostly have terrible time going thru life. Also based on the profile of people that live in "your area" (people that you dislike so much), it may be beneficial for your children future to move out of that "area". Just a common sense :) Please do not get any "Pit-bull's", you would probably give them even more of a bad reputation. No offense to anybody:)
f0578e91.jpg

fb822bdb.jpg

22a92aad.jpg

54e3fb22.jpg

Statistically the most dangerous dog (judged by the number of attacks and bites) is the weiner dog...dachsund. Pit bulls were bred to protect your family, particularly children, from varmits and stray dogs as they play around your house. That's why they are not human aggressive, but dog aggressive. Even then, they are only dog aggessive when there is a threat. The dog in the Buster Brown shoes and the dog in LilRascals are both pits; at the beginning of the 20th century, they were the black labs of the day (i.e. family dog.) Before pits, the dog to be afraid of was Rotts, before Rotts, dobermans, and before dobermans, german shepherds. It's the owner not the dog. If you can't see that, you're an idiot.

Before pits, the dog to be afraid of was Rotts, before Rotts, dobermans, and before dobermans, german shepherds. It's the owner not the dog. If you can't see that, you're an idiot.

I remember that progression when I lived in the Bronx, in an area where people did use their dogs to intimidate. I didn't see the Rottweilers then, and we had a boxer, who was aggressive enough that I walked him on a short leash. Dobermans were supposed to be the meanest of the mean but the only dobies we knew were like my boxer, very friendly around neighbors.

Aggressive dogs are raised by ignorant owners. Many of them don't even know how to raise a dog. Many of them don't know how to raise a child -- there are similar skills involved. I wouldn't want to characterize people that don't understand this as idiots, though, especially in a thread with a high emotional content.

But it is a shame that "pit bull" has come to mean vicious, because that only encourages lowlifes to make them exactly that. I also believe that the media tags any short-haired vicious dog as a pit bull even if it isn't. There is a lot of room for education out there, surprisingly since we call dogs "man's best friend" and still know so little about them.

A dog of any breed can be made vicious by systematic abuse, a dog of any breed can turn vicious due to injury or disease, but dogs of some breeds are better equipped than others to do damage IF they attack. Daschunds may be responsible for more bites, but anyone who says they'd rather be attacked by a crazed daschund than by a crazed pit bull has the potential to become Darwin award recipient. And anyone who thinks their dog, regardless of breed, could never snap is deluding himself.

they were out for a run. that was made clear in post 1

Seriously? Did you read the entire thread? I know what happen. I was simply stating that it isn't abnormal to see individuals out walking-or running-with their dogs and carrying a small, blunt weapon.

My $0.02:
Personally, I don't like being around Pittbulls (or some other breeds including Rottweilers, Dobermanns, Cane Corsos, Akitas, Neapolitan Mastiffs and German Sheperds. These are the first breeds that come to my mind) at all.
Why? I know that they are capable of inflicting severe damage and have done so in the past (no one can deny it, just google it. PS: I was attacked by a German Sheperd, my mother and sister by a Neapolitan Mastiff).
I certainly know that how a dog was raised is a major, major factor in how said dog will interact with a person. However, I still just don't trust these dogs at 100% (even worse the scenario of meeting an unsupervised dog out on the loose: who knows who raised it, how it was raised and what are its intentions...) and therefore I just prefer to err on the side of caution and just avoid them at all cost.
And that's my right as a citizen of this free nation. Now I understand that people who love these type of breeds and are responsible owners won't be pleased by someone like me completely rejecting the breed of their beloved pooch but that's simply my choice. At the end, I respect their choice of breed and they must respect mine (and please keep your dog away from me, thanks!).

My $0.02:
Personally, I don't like being around Pittbulls (or some other breeds including Rottweilers, Dobermanns, Cane Corsos, Akitas, Neapolitan Mastiffs and German Sheperds. These are the first breeds that come to my mind) at all.
Why? I know that they are capable of inflicting severe damage and have done so in the past (no one can deny it, just google it. PS: I was attacked by a German Sheperd, my mother and sister by a Neapolitan Mastiff).
I certainly know that how a dog was raised is a major, major factor in how said dog will interact with a person. However, I still just don't trust these dogs at 100% (even worse the scenario of meeting an unsupervised dog out on the loose: who knows who raised it, how it was raised and what are its intentions...) and therefore I just prefer to err on the side of caution and just avoid them at all cost.
And that's my right as a citizen of this free nation. Now I understand that people who love these type of breeds and are responsible owners won't be pleased by someone like me completely rejecting the breed of their beloved pooch but that's simply my choice. At the end, I respect their choice of breed and they must respect mine (and please keep your dog away from me, thanks!).

This is my attitude. I am always a bit wary when I am around powerful dogs that are equipped to do serious damage. I don't fear dogs, but I certainly respect what some breeds can do. Owners of these dogs need to understand that no automatically knows how sweet your dog is. Don't expect everyone to love your dog the way you do, and keep it under control when it is out of the house.

There is no such thing as a bad breed of dog, just bad owners. I have met some lovely pitbulls, they do naturally have some aggressive traits but nothing proper training cannot weed out. Aside from that I have witnessed dog attacks first hand, Im glad to hear you were able to defend yourself, your family and pets, the ferocity of a dog attack would overwhelm most.

Never will be 100% good owners. We are talking about people you know.

I don't care for vicious dog breeds for this reason. You can't look at a dog and say, "Hmmm", I wonder what his owner is like.

Been way, way to many attack's in my county over the years from vicious dog breeds. It is kinda like redneck central in my area, so I have to assume most any dog of this type is vicious.

Good that it worked out well! There are really no aggressive dogs where I run but still carry a knife. This is a perfect example of why I do. Being in California a handgun won't fly and the pepper spray laws are sketchy.

x2

I live in Los Angeles where the knife laws are really backwards from CA state law. So it's easier and legally safer to carry a folder, and there's no size limit which is just bizarre.

Honestly, I really dont know what it is about pit's i've seen both sides my buddy had a great one that would never harm a soul, but I have seen the other side as well, ran a call about 4 months ago where a pit killed a 16 month old girl, that he had been raised with since he was a puppy supposedly this was a wondeful dog that had had no problems beforehand, I'm not really gonna go into graphic detail, but you cant possibly imagine what that dog did to that kid, before we got there the first arriving truck a very seasoned medic got on the radio and said"the patient is beyond help" The cops had to shoot the damn thing because it wouldnt let em near her. Now please dont mistake this post to bash pits, because it's not. I am a huge animal lover, I have 2 dogs and a cat and rescue all I can find, but after that day I will be damned if I ever let one of my babies near one. regardless of reported temperament.
YMMV.

A pit bull killed a newborn in Chicago last week. When I lived in NC, a jogger was killed by a pair of Rotweilers.
My wife was attacked and bitten by a Great Pyrennes a few years ago.
Owners of large/strong dogs need to be sure that they train them properly, or they could be a hazzard.
As I mentioned earlier, a pocket knife can save you, but it is a last ditch defense. A long stick and pepper spray are useful to keep a dangerous animal at bay. I always carried all 3 when walking my dog. I favor a 3' Phillipine stick, a garrote, for walking a dog, but a good walking stick will do fine. A long stick was recommended by animal control.
Laws are pretty lax in IL. One person I know is married to a vet, and apparently dogs here are allowed "3 free bites."
The problem is that too many owners in my area do not properly control their pets, and don't train them at all.

I feel sorry for you and your children, and I hope that your girls will become more educated then you are. Ignorant people mostly have terrible time going thru life. Also based on the profile of people that live in "your area" (people that you dislike so much), it may be beneficial for your children future to move out of that "area". Just a common sense :) Please do not get any "Pit-bull's", you would probably give them even more of a bad reputation. No offense to anybody:)
f0578e91.jpg

fb822bdb.jpg

22a92aad.jpg

54e3fb22.jpg

If someone doesn't report you for posting such graphic images, I will. The horror.:p

Back