The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Afternoon, Nathan!

Just received the D2EDC with the unbuffed micarta. Love the feel of the micarta like this and was hoping to try and replicate it on one or my field knives. Was curious if using a low grit sandpaper was all I'd need to do to achieve this. Thanks much!

Also wanted to add that your new shop assistant - sorry, forgot his name - did a wonderful job on this knife. Big thanks to Team Carothers. :thumbup:

Nathan,

Are you planning on the "Survival Knife" to make its debut on here before this year's Blade Show or are you reserving the official unveiling on and during that 2017 Blade Show?

Another thing, perhaps it would be a good idea to sticky this thread so that it doesn't get pushed down stream and folks can use it as the main thread to ask you questions.

Thank you, CS~

Either to Nathan or whomever may have observations,

Is there a huge difference between the standard 3V and the Delta HT versions? This being based on the Field Knife size blade. Just curious as it seems the Delta variation has been out for a bit now so was curious as to how users have felt that it was a major upgrade or just fine tuning.
I have a member here graciously offer to sell me a standard 3V FK but couldn't decide if it was worth holding out for a Delta version. General field use etc and daily carry will be what my use case is; not smashing through cinder blocks or heavy batonning. I am a Timber Cruiser so in the woods Monday-Friday here in BC and carry and use a blade constantly.

Thanks in advance!
Andy

Afternoon, Nathan!

Just received the D2EDC with the unbuffed micarta. Love the feel of the micarta like this and was hoping to try and replicate it on one or my field knives. Was curious if using a low grit sandpaper was all I'd need to do to achieve this. Thanks much!

I don't know, but I'd suggest something like 220 grit.

Nathan,

Are you planning on the "Survival Knife" to make its debut on here before this year's Blade Show or are you reserving the official unveiling on and during that 2017 Blade Show?

I don't generally wait for a show to unveil anything, it's just a matter of being ready when it's ready. But, yes, that's probably about when the timing will work out. But the "unveil" will be here on the CPK forum.

Either to Nathan or whomever may have observations,

Is there a huge difference between the standard 3V and the Delta HT versions? This being based on the Field Knife size blade. Just curious as it seems the Delta variation has been out for a bit now so was curious as to how users have felt that it was a major upgrade or just fine tuning.
I have a member here graciously offer to sell me a standard 3V FK but couldn't decide if it was worth holding out for a Delta version. General field use etc and daily carry will be what my use case is; not smashing through cinder blocks or heavy batonning. I am a Timber Cruiser so in the woods Monday-Friday here in BC and carry and use a blade constantly.

Thanks in advance!
Andy

There is not a huge difference between Delta 3V and the un-named low temper tweak that immediately preceded it. They're related processes, the primary functional difference being improved edge durability with the Delta version. This difference shows up in side by side testing in rough use but I think most folks would like the predecessor just fine, it was no slouch.

Folks need to keep in mind the development of tweaked 3V has been on-going for years. We finally did the formalized R&D to put-to-bed the fully optimized tweak and named it, but the previous tweaks were good tweaks.

Do you have any side by side comparison videos of the Pre-Delta and Delta 3v in use? Just curious because I have both in your FK, but have yet tested and compared them. Thanks again for making awesome quality blades.

I have video of industry standard 3V and D3V side by side (there is a significant difference that shows well in video), but no video of D3V and the immediate predecessor. It probably wouldn't make a very interesting video, the difference is visible, but less dramatic and would be difficult to see on screen. These tweaks have been incremental improvements over time.

Nathan, can we get a picture of the new "nameless" knife? I'm really liking the idea of a camp knife between the FK and LC. Also, what are the chance of getting a preorder for it?

A camp knife with a wide 8-9 inch blade would be handy outdoors. Great to do light chopping and battoning firewood for cooking
Any plans for such an outdoors tool ?

A camp knife with a wide 8-9 inch blade would be handy outdoors. Great to do light chopping and battoning firewood for cooking
Any plans for such an outdoors tool ?

it's definitely been discussed...

Not a question for Nathan, but an observation which may have happened a while back which I just happened to have noticed!

Lorien has become a Moderator of the Blade Forums. Again, I may be too slow and this may not be news to anyone else but me! Just wanted to congratulate Lorien but didn't want to start a frivolous new thread about it :)

Not a question for Nathan, but an observation which may have happened a while back which I just happened to have noticed!

Lorien has become a Moderator of the Blade Forums. Again, I may be too slow and this may not be news to anyone else but me! Just wanted to congratulate Lorien but didn't want to start a frivolous new thread about it :)

Oh, yes, the uproar about that finally died down about a month ago:D

Nathan I was just wondering what the most significant difference there would be between your D2 EDC and the Delta 3V version and would the average user even notice?

EDIT The reason I ask is I have a Delta 3V EDC that I really like but am not really going to "hard use" it, it's more of a daily task tool. My understanding is the Delta3V is a very rugged material, but I wondered if the D2 would be better suited to my lighter duty needs or use ?

Last edited:
Oh, yes, the uproar about that finally died down about a month ago:D

haha! That's what you think!

for whatever reason, the men in the big pants decided that I should moderate the Custom and Handmade Knives forum.
I spend most of my time there, and that's where Nate and me met. It's a cool forum, and I hope you guys all swing by from time to time :)

Nathan I was just wondering what the most significant difference there would be between your D2 EDC and the Delta 3V version and would the average user even notice?

EDIT The reason I ask is I have a Delta 3V EDC that I really like but am not really going to "hard use" it, it's more of a daily task tool. My understanding is the Delta3V is a very rugged material, but I wondered if the D2 would be better suited to my lighter duty needs or use ?

They're both good choices for the kinds of work this pattern is suited to.

If you cut a lot of soft abrasive material like cardboard or media that cuts better with a toothy edge like hide or rope they'll both work well but D2 will work better. It's a great choice for someone who cuts drywall and drywall tape and opens plastic planter pots and sand bags etc.

If you're like me and need a very sharp edge for duburring fuzz from plastic machined parts but also want the edge stability and gross durability to shave burrs from metal parts and scrape out steel chips embedded in aluminum fixtures they'll both work well but Delta 3V will work better. It's a great choice for someone who strips insulation and cuts wire with his knife or carves hardwood or scrapes rust etc. It's also extremely durable and would be the best choice for a knife you have to depend on.

They're both hard, durable, abrasion resistant steels with fantastic edge retention, you really can't go wrong with either for a small every day use cutting tool. If you're hard on your knives or want a larger margin for error go with the Delta 3V. If you're skinning a lot of game and want that toothy edge go with the optimized D2.

Back