The best knife to ever come out of the Swamp?

Time is moving on and newbies don't know the original line as well as they should, but I think the Satin Battle Rat was the all time best over all.

1. Res C Howler, hands down. No contest.
2. Res C Battle Rat

I like the RMD but I think the new Rodent Solution will be occupying the 2nd or 3rd podium position for me.
These are the knives I will actually bother to carry, if I am carrying gear and not just using it around the property at home, or having in a vehicle.

It's been a while since I've owned a SRKW. I had the Battle Rat, Camp Tramp, Bog Dog, Swamp Warden and a couple Howling Rats. Out of those, I remember the Camp Tramp being the best all around.

Original Ratweiler is just about perfect. The SAR is a good knife too, but i would've liked to see it 3/16" instead of 1/4".

The SAR is a good knife too, but i would've liked to see it 3/16" instead of 1/4".

That is the only thing keeping it safe from being carried everywhere by me... If that thing was skinny, it definitely would be the most versatile, comfortable, good-looking knife of ever (not just bussekin). That's how much I love and hate it... :confused:

Last edited:
I love my INFIcoots, but the best all-arounder to crawl out of the Swamp is probably the RMD.

Best total package....
DSC02978.jpg

Camp Tramp.

'bout time the CT is getting shown some love! ;) :)

That being said, since my Battle Rat got into the Koyote pants, it's been getting a lot more carry time! Rides smaller and lighter now...

IMG_3231.jpg

with friends..

IMG_3240.jpg

More RMD love here. Carries so well I don't notice it's there. When it's needed it gets the job done and feels great in the hand.

My first Rat and the blade which converted me to 52100 steel is the RMD. Still one of my favorites hands down.

However the knife which first got me interested in Swamprat knives was the Ratweiler, which is a fantastic and legendary blade. Still waitin to get my hands on either a Ratweiler or a Ratmastiff.

there is no best. Only "What is best for me?"

Having said that...
ratweiler

Most iconic: Ratweiler
Most useful around camp: Satin Battle Rat
Most useful in kitchen: Dog Skinner
First one in my sheath for a hike: Desert Jack
Best Chopper/Bush Clearer: Rat Daddy LE

Battle Rat
SAR
Ratweiler

With that said I do favor the Battle Rat a big little knife or a little big knife. Either way the Battle Rat so far.

My first Rat, Howling Rat I got in 2002. Still have it, along with the Camp Tramp (Stays in my work bag), and a Battle Rat. I've had these 3 since 2002, early 2003. All get used.

My favorite 'newer' Rat is the HRLM. I like the ergos on it even better than my Gen I Howler.

I've had many of the Rats, especially before 2007 or so, but I keep going back to those original first 3.

Wet

Camp Tramp and Bandicoot. They are the ones I have had since the beginning, throughout all my knife buying and selling, and the ones I will always have and use.

I just got this original release Basic 9 the other day to match my generation 1 Battle Rat and Dog Father! These may not be the best knives to come out of the Busse, Swamp Rat, and Scrap Yard compound, but they are certainly among my favorites!!!

attachment.php

hmmmm haven't seen a photo of the BR next to a DF for awhile...man, the DF is a beast!

hmmmm haven't seen a photo of the BR next to a DF for awhile...man, the DF is a beast!

That it is bro! It has A LOT more forward weight than the Battle Rat and B9. Great chopper for the price!

Back