The cleaver discussion thread.....

Oh it's a cleaver alright--it's just a "household" cleaver rather than an industrial one.

I could see it used as a skinner or scraper or something but with those 2 tiny rivets holding it together I just can't imagine it being used as a impact tool (cleaver). But since I surely don't know what it is I could be wrong. But it just doesn't add up.

...help me figure out what it is...
2012-05-19_15-23-19_172.jpg

With the curved edge and the not-so-sturdy construction, I'm guessing that it was made for cutting on the push or pull stroke, and not for chopping like a cleaver. Maybe for cutting dough at a bakery???

Ever actually see how much abuse small steel rivets can take? Quite a bit! And I'm making a presumption here, but I'm guessing it's fit into slots cut in a solid bar, which means it would have backing support from the rod. I'm guessing that it's from the 30's or 40's. The depression era had a lot of oddball kitchen gadgets and interpretations of classic tools.

Thank you all for your input on the mystery blade and actually I found one on ebay earlier and they listed it as a vintage Kitchen Hatchet.

and just a little more info, the whole bottom of the blade is sharp like a cleaver.

P.S. I was at a flea market earlier today and picked up a Lamb Splitter for $20 but no real markings on it.

here is the lamb splitter i got from the flea market. also on the little angle part of the handle before the blade, there is writing on both sides. It says "L&G" and below that is "PAT. 1919"

If anyone can provide any info on it I would greatly appreciate it. They guy who sold it said it was 75 years old.

P5210039.jpg

What a beauty! I'm guessing the L&G is for Lamson & Goodnow. That's a great cleaver right there.

Will it work on crow? 'Cause I think I need to eat a healthy helping.
blush.gif

I imagine it might! :p It's only natural for you to look at it and think it looks flimsy, though. If it were made today the shank wouldn't be heat treated, so it would bend during serious use--and stay that way. Back in the day all the heavy wire/round stock tools were heat treated. Try taking a vintage potato masher made from the same kind of stock and bending it out of shape--it's not gonna' happen! :D

It's only natural for you to look at it and think it looks flimsy, though. If it were made today the shank wouldn't be heat treated, so it would bend during serious use--and stay that way. Back in the day all the heavy wire/round stock tools were heat treated.

I realize how tough 3/8 H.C. wire can be. I've got a few bit braces around here. They're tough but surely not what I would call 'impact tool tough'. Plus it's just a lousy shape for the spine of a 'kitchen axe'. It impedes penetration through thick cuts of meat and bone. It's easy to see why this style never became popular.

It's definitely a sub-par design based mostly on novelty and economy, but I imagine it would hold up fine for household cleaver use--household cleavers were usually used for things like halving chickens rather than serious butchering work like industrial cleavers.

Attachments

• 2012-06-01 09.40.02.jpg
    2012-06-01 09.40.02.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 2012-06-01 09.39.26.jpg
    2012-06-01 09.39.26.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 2012-06-01 09.37.53.jpg
    2012-06-01 09.37.53.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 2012-06-01 09.37.33.jpg
    2012-06-01 09.37.33.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 2012-02-23 15.52.14.jpg
    2012-02-23 15.52.14.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 132
That is some seriously cool stuff right there! And Lamont is a heck of a guy. Love the added fuller that blends with the hanging hole.

I posted a pic in the 'chicken killer' thread but I figured I should post these here for posterity. The smaller one is stamped on the handle: Dexter U.S.A. High Carbon and the number 5096 which I don't recognize as a steel type so it's probably a model number.

The big one is stamped with a shield reading 'Briddell of Crisfield', 'Made in U.S.A., 'No 800 8" ' It weighs a bit over 2 pounds.

Cleavers1.jpg

Briddell is good stuff, so I've heard. It sure looks it, at the very least! Great ol' choppers. Thanks for the pics!

I just picked up this old cleaver for 80 bucks, the guy wanted 140.

2012-06-24_15-38-48_873.jpg

It says C. Hammond, Philada. Cast-Steel
Patented August 10th 1869

What an interesting cleaver! I wonder what the advantage of manufacturing them like that was? Cost?

Briddell is good stuff, so I've heard. It sure looks it, at the very least! Great ol' choppers. Thanks for the pics!

Thanks. From what I've deduced there were two levels of finish on Briddell cleavers. One level has a less elaborate stamp - just marked 'Briddell' and may be fitted with steel rivets. The other level is marked 'Briddell of Crisfield' in a shield. These have brass rivets. The steel is probably the same. This one set me back $40 but in this condition I couldn't walk away from it.

Last edited:
I wish someone would make a "hard use outdoor cleaver" with modern materials, for a reasonable price. BKleaver has a nice ring to it !!! :D

I'm just sayin'. :D

Back