The cleaver discussion thread.....

Someone from up the road stopped by a while back with a battered old cleaver and wanted another grip put on. I don't know if he was surprised with the result... It's kind of a style I operate in with the wood as the basis, this one being from pear wood, a simple surface texture feels good in the hand and improves grip, tool marks clearly on there, a ferrule formed with a simple improvised forge set-up with a propane torch, that sort of thing.
DSCF0852_zpsfe8d70f0.jpg

E.DB.

That handle has character. I like it.

Food service handles will do well with a few coats of mineral oil. Electrical conduit makes nice ferrules.

I just like so much the way pear wood takes up oils and dirt from contacting the skin and takes on a differential finish after some time of use. A shame to darken this nice wood by oiling it.

E.DB.

This is a chopper made from an industrial-sized wood chipper blade. Got this from a fellow in Mena, AR. It weights in at 2 pounds, five ounces. The spine is 1/4 inch thick.IMG_0222.jpg

A silly photo I took the other day with an F. Dick beef splitter cleaver. I posted this on the thread in General the other day, but I know some of us gravitate towards this corner so it bears reposting. :D

I got this Laduk which is a small Dayak cleaver as a gift from Anton aka Naturalist.

GiftFromAntonDayakCleaver13.jpg

It was made somewhere in Palangkaraya, Kalimantan Tengah (i.e. Central Kalimantan), Indonesia by some unknown Dayak Smith.

GiftFromAntonDayakCleaver14.jpg

The banana in the pictures is called as Pisang Tanduk (i.e. plantain) which is the largest banana locally in Malaysia.

mohd

A silly photo I took the other day with an F. Dick beef splitter cleaver. I posted this on the thread in General the other day, but I know some of us gravitate towards this corner so it bears reposting. :D

[video=youtube;LWME4d1BRCk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWME4d1BRCk[/video]

:D

Murphnuge, Snakebreaker - Thanks! When I get a bit further down my list of tomahawk orders, I have more cleaver commissions to tackle. :cool:

Some great cleavers in this thread.

Just finished this short cleaver-machete a few weeks ago:

oakcleavermachete_zps03ccf007.jpg

Back