1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

The Custom Stock Knife: Variations On A Theme

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Blues, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Definitely the pattern I have more of than any other...thought it'd be fun to put a few images of them together in one thread. Won't go into details but am happy to answer any questions should anyone have any.

Here's one image of each of the knives I have in my collection based upon the stockman pattern. (I added one two blade "Texas Jack" at the end since it dovetails nicely with this grouping.)

Hope you enjoy looking at them.

1.[​IMG]

2.[​IMG]

3.[​IMG]

4.[​IMG]

5.[​IMG]

6.[​IMG]

7.[​IMG]

8.[​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

10.[​IMG]

11.[​IMG]

12.[​IMG]

13.[​IMG]

14.[​IMG]

15.[​IMG]

16.[​IMG]

17.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. Peregrin

Peregrin Moderator Moderator

Sep 2, 2004
    A beautiful collection Elliott! You have great taste in pocket cutlery!

3. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Awesome to see them all together, thanks Elliot!

May I say, the bone on that R. Bose is incredible. It almost looks like wood, its just amazing IMO.

That Pena is also a stunning set up. Slight recurve to the main clip must really get that one to dig in :)

Not that I would blame you if you don't, but do you carry all of them? Do you have one that is your favorite EDC? With so many nice knives I would find it hard to pick one to hold in a regular EDC slot. I have a hard time just with my paling (in comparison) collection of production knives.

You are a lucky man to have built such a bold collection. Im sure you have gained great relationships with all the makers as well.

Kevin

4. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Thanks Gary and Kevin.

I don't carry them all, though some have been both carried and sharpened. The ones that see the most carry (in numerical order of the images from top down) would be numbers 2, 3, 5, 7, 12, 13 and 15.

The one that gets the most carry by far is Ken's "maroon marauder" (#12) with the polished G-10 scales and oval shield. That one has been in my pocket more than any other knife since I got it...though it was replaced for a good while by his shadow version.

I should mention that the knives range in size from 3.5" to 4 1/4" closed.

5. Humppa

Humppa Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Great collection, Elliott.

I like the Stock knife very much as an EDC. But no comparison to your beauties! Thank you for showing these great fellows. :) :)

Kind regards
    Andi

6. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Very nice! That Maroon Erickson seems like a natural choice! It looks very pocket friendly, ergonomic and the G-10 is a no worry material.

Its been a while since you posted that one up when you received it new. Must be something special to have stayed in your pocket so long.

Thanks Elliot,

Kevin

7. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Stunning collection Elliott. I can't explain why, but Rusty Preston's knife really appeals to me. It just looks right.

- Christian

8. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    I'm glad you said that, Christian. Rusty doesn't get a lot of play on the forums but when I saw the first one (#6) on Dan Delavan's site, I had to have it. I just loved it. It's a muscular little beast at 3 5/8" closed. Built like a tank.

Shortly thereafter I contacted Rusty on the phone to let him know how much I loved that knife and we just hit it off. I asked him if he made a larger version of the stockman and he just happened to have a 4" version which he immediately sent off to me (and which is displayed in the following image, #7). His work is very clean and though he owes a great deal to Bill Ruple for teaching him the ropes, his knives have a character and feel all their own.

9. jivedaddy

jivedaddy

Dec 20, 2002
    Great looking collection of stocked, Elliott....I never get tired of seeing those Erickson, they would make me a stockman convert.....all quite nice tho.

10. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
    #16 is my favorite of the batch. Since you're not using it, feel free to send it on to me.:D

11. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    That is a beautifull group, thanks for sharing. ;)

12. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Thanks, fellas. :cool:

Sam, it'll be in the mail soon...can't say exactly when...;)

13. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    It's like seeing good old friends again, Elliott. I remember most of their earlier appearances, and it is very enjoyable to see them back for a visit! Nice collection, of great makers, and a great pattern.

(you need a Ryu to balance things out!!:D)

14. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Charlie, I can't remember seeing a premium stockman by Ryu. Hmmm...I'll have to start investigating..."Sweet 16" does have a ring to it...

EDIT:...I've found a couple of images on the webz of variations. I'll revisit the notion at some point in the future.

15. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Elliot,

What a sunday morning. I have browsed through your selection a few times now. Just sitting under a tree with my girl, the dogs, my blackberry and the EDC.

[​IMG]

I have the challenge of putting together what I want for an upcoming custom. Your pictures really help.

BTW, are you and Charlie just kidding around or don't you already have one by Ryu? What makes it a premium stockman??

Thanks,

Kevin

16. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    I have a cattle knife and a locking wharncliffe trapper by Ryu but no stockman.

They call it "premium" because they were considered high end or high priced knives back in the day. (It's basically just a marketing term originated by the manufacturers.)

That said, any stock knife made by Ryu or any of the makers above definitely does fit the category of "premium" without requiring any hype. ;)

17. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Okay, thanks Elliot. Its fun to learn this stuff. I get it now :)

18. C Ben Susrool

C Ben Susrool Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I'll take #5 for the win. ;)

19. 338375

Nov 4, 2006
    :eek: I would know that Ruple in the second picture anywhere :D I didn't know there were three redbones in the set though :cool:

Just kiddin ya. Your pictures really show a wide interpretation of the Stock pattern. All good, just different. Thats a good thing though, IMHO. If all the knives made for a particular pattern were the same, it would get kinda boring.

All of the knives are terrific in their own way, but the Bose knife, is so incredible, I can't even find words to describe it. WOW.... I never thought I would say this about a knife, but in my eyes, that may just be the perfect slip joint. :thumbup:

Thanks for takin the time to share these Elliott. A lot of us have seen the knives seprerately over time, but when they are all together, it is almost overwhelming. In a good way of course

20. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Can't argue with your taste, Mike. :thumbup: