1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

The Drawing Board

Discussion in 'Redmeadow Knives & T.Knotts Knives' started by lessismore, Nov 26, 2016.

1. lessismore

lessismore Enjoy Every Sandwich Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    [​IMG]

Brainstorming. Let's see what we can come up with.

2. lessismore

lessismore Enjoy Every Sandwich Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    Saved spot

3. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    I hate to overwhelm your already full head but...

With the wharncliffe Corsair on the board, I wouldn't mind seeing a thin, smaller version of it like a "Corsair II" Bird and Trout. Toss a Corsair in a room with a paring knife. Light some candles. Play a little Barry White...
    Handle: 3.75" to 4"
    Blade: 2.75" to 3"
    Blade height: 3/4"
    ;)

I hope this is the kind of input you're looking for.

4. Dopic1

Dopic1 Amatuer Grinder Jockey Platinum Member

Apr 1, 2013
    "I'm gonna love you just a little bit more baby" if you make one of them.......:rolleyes:

5. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    That's Egg Zackery the stuff I'm lookin fer.
    A thinner, smaller, slicier, Corsair? Sounds good.

Keep the ideas coming and we'll pick a design and work the details. Meanwhile, I'll listen to some Barry:D
    [video=youtube;x0I6mhZ5wMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0I6mhZ5wMw[/video]

6. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    Do we want to keep the spine profile of the Corsair?
    (Slight thumb ramp, straight line to the tip)

What says everyone about blade length?

A steel thickness around .07, .09?

I just looked at a bunch of paring knives and the Corsair, sang them some AL Green and Barry white, and let them do horrible things to each other. I'm getting some scribbles that I'm really liking.

(I'll be heat treating the Corsairs in the next couple of days, don't worry, this thread won't take away from their progress;))

7. protourist

protourist [P] irate Member Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Thin is in. Thick knives sell to kids and fanboys, thin knives cut well. I like the spine of the corsair. Straight enough to be respectable with enough curve to still be sexy.

T. Erdelyi likes this.
  8. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    Couldn't have said it better meself, gotta have a little pin-up in there.
    [​IMG]

The old guard judging a stack of recruits.
    [​IMG]

9. Dopic1

Apr 1, 2013
    Oh, those are going be nice.... I may have to get on board with that!

10. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    I'll get the sketch cleaned up and we'll pick it apart. What's your take on a blade length Scott? The drawings always seem to come out around 2 7/8".

11. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Nice, John! I'm agreeing with that!

12. Dopic1

Apr 1, 2013
    You're spot on, I was thinking around three inches and possibly figured walnut handles? Or quatersawn Sycamore, Which I might just happen to have.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  13. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    That sounds good, what's that sycamore look like? I've seen some spalted sycamore that was amazing, never seen quartersawn I don't think.

Maybe a sheathed bird & trout in wood, and a kitchen model in synthetic of some sort? Just throwin that out there.

14. Dopic1

Apr 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

T. Erdelyi likes this.
  15. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    That's nice lookin stuff, I can see these in a lighter wood like that. How about Chechen?

16. Dopic1

Apr 1, 2013
    I have some of that too. :D

[​IMG]

T. Erdelyi likes this.
  17. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    It might be time for an intervention :D

18. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    I'll bring the truck, better not leave anything around that would cause a relapse:D

I've got a nice piece of Pennsyltucky Chechen;)

19. Dopic1

Apr 1, 2013
    I'm way beyond that...........:D

20. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    That is some nice looking wood, looks a bit like Bocote.