The knife that never needs sharpening

00000966_3207.jpg

tech analysis... really damn sharp

just get a vibro-blade...

A Vibroblade is a melee weapon used across the Inner Sphere. The Vibroblade is used (and most often shaped) like a conventional sword, but also includes a power pack in the hilt for a series of motor systems. When activated the Vibroblade's cutting edge ocillates at a very high speed, cutting through anything in its path.

Vibroblades are available in a variety of sizes, ranging from personal weapons to experimental BattleMech sized versions.

or a monomolecular blade...

Last edited:
A blade that never needs to be sharpened?? What fun is that? Hell, I enjoy sharpening almost as much as I enjoy using my knives. It's like meditation :D

I've got a bunch of them in my safe. They're made by a company called "Safe Queens, Inc."

Seems to me that with the right very smooth coating (DLC ?) on the "flat" side of a chisel grind you could come close to an edge that was potentially "self-sharpeneing" as it was used. At least in theory. :)

Yeah, but they eventually need to be refocused and we all know what a PITA that is!
And, they EAT batteries (which seem to always go out at the most inopportune times)....and try to find replacement parts, sheesh.

There are knives that never need to be sharpened... They're called self sharpening folders. They sharpen themselves when opened or closed, so you technically never have to sharpen them.

Seems to me that with the right very smooth coating (DLC ?) on the "flat" side of a chisel grind you could come close to an edge that was potentially "self-sharpeneing" as it was used. At least in theory. :)

If DLC is that great, why not make a blade from it? :p

There are knives that never need to be sharpened... They're called self sharpening folders. They sharpen themselves when opened or closed, so you technically never have to sharpen them.

But only if you don't mind a very coarse and often rolled edge. :p

Ceramic can't be sharpened with as fine an edge as steel !
They do wear but sharpening is not a DIY job. It must be polished as scratches on the edge can be stress risers. You can send them back for sharpening ,at least te good ones.

I have but don't use a self sharpener.It must be close to 50 years old .A blade of soft stainless with one side of the edge coated with carbide .The softer SS side wears faster than the carbide side so it stays "sharp" .Because of the carbide it can though cut almost anything !

Do a little diggin on Buckcoat. Buck tried that years ago, and then discontinued them fairly quickly.

Mete, most claim that ceramic can be sharpened to a higher level than steel. Any thoughts on the seeming contradiction? For knives, I'm still with steel all the way.

Just a PSA, the newer generation of ceramic knives from Kyocera is much tougher than the old ones. That and they also rounded off the tips and heels, since those are what break off. There is a youtube video of some drop tests of a newer one.

Me2, Because of it's inherent brittleness ceramic blades have to have a greater angle so the blade isn't as 'sharp' as steel. For real sharpness glass is capable of a very fine edge !

Thread title reminded me of the CRKT Edgie...

6442_large_145.jpg

The secret is diamond-coated spring sharpeners built into the folder frames, placed at the precise angle to give the blades a sharpening stroke as they are closed and opened. Not only do you never need to sharpen the Edgie blade with stones or wheels, but you should not, because it may alter the blade's proper self-sharpening edge angle. Of course, it is important during a long cutting work session to periodically open and close the blade to maintain the edge.

Back