The Large Inkosi; An Ongoing Review

BMCGear

Gold Member
This thread was started as an initial review for the CRK Large Inkosi. After owning my first Inkosi for a couple of months I decided to sell it. I regretted that decision and purchased another. I plan to continue to update the thread as I find that most reviews are initial reviews and not long term. I'd like to establish a long term review for people who are considering this fine knife.

Updates:
10/4/16 - #30
10/31/16 - #37
11/14/16 (sold the knife; talked myself out of owning a knife so expensive) - #47
1/23/17 (purchased a new Large Inkosi) - #48
3/30/17 - #61
5/28/17 - #80
2/3/19 - #84

Original Post:

I'd like to start a thread to share my thoughts about the Inkosi having owned several 21's in the past. If you're considering an Inkosi but not sure maybe this will help.

A little history:

Before bladeforums I had never owned a knife costing more than 75 dollars.
I first saw a Large 21 and was immediately struck by the clean lines I learned more about the brand and knife later on.
I was shocked anyone would ever pay that much for a knife. Buying a Benchmade that cost 90 dollars almost killed me.
I eventually gave in and had to try one; a buddy told me that every knife nut owes it to themselves to own a Sebenza.
I bought a small 21. Sold it for a large 21 and eventually sold it.
I've now tried both the Large and Small in the drop point and Insingo blade shape.
Even had a Large Micarta 21.

I somehow always managed to sell the 21's I would get. Mostly for monetary reasons as I still felt guilty carrying such an expensive knife but also because the 21 didn't quite fit my hand as well as I liked. I wanted the precision of a CRK though. The 25 never struck my interest because of the two finger choils. I held a 25 at a knife shop while on vacation and was shocked at the comfort I experienced. The Inkosi was something I knew I had to try.

What I like better about the Inkosi (initially):

The blade shape
The handle shape/design and overall ergonomics
The jimping (I don't remember the 21's jimping being like this; but I could be mistaken)
The clip placement
Double thumb studs (every now and then when the knife is not in my pocket I'll pick it up left handed to use)
The lanyard placement and no "pin" if you remove it.
The smoothness (there was literally no break in period)
I love the notch in the top of the blade.
Larger pivot (I believe the 21's pivot to be plenty strong but I do like the look of the oversized pivot)

I haven't taken the knife apart yet to have an appreciation for the internals and I haven't sharpened it to see how the different grind sharpens.

Overall the Large Inkosi is everything I was looking for in a Chris Reeve Knife.

Last edited:
Sorry, not sure if that was already in the title. I have s small and a 25, which I like a lot. Seems like this is bound to be a winner too

I have found the 25 and large 21 to be very different knives, too. I am glad you found so many things to love about the large Inkosi! The jimping is probably my favorite difference between the 21 and the 25/Inkosi.

Can't wait to here how you like it over time. Hope to come back here for up dates.
I must say the one I bought at blade this year is great!! Love mine for sure. Great addition to the CRK family.

Thanks bluemetalchurch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more. The large Inkosi is amazing. The small is really great, too.

It doesn't get talked about much, but the lack of a lanyard pin is a huge plus in my book. 😀

I am not a huge fan of large knives in general, but the large Inkosi is a terrific knife and has forced its way into my weekend rotation!

Thanks,
This just makes me want a large even more.......

Isi (initially): [/B]

The blade shape
The handle shape/design and overall ergonomics
The jimping (I don't remember the 21's jimping being like this; but I could be mistaken)
The clip placement
Double thumb studs (every now and then when the knife is not in my pocket I'll pick it up left handed to use)
The lanyard placement and no "pin" if you remove it.
The smoothness (there was literally no break in period)
I love the notch in the top of the blade.
Larger pivot (I believe the 21's pivot to be plenty strong but I do like the look of the oversized pivot)

I haven't taken the knife apart yet to have an appreciation for the internals and I haven't sharpened it to see how the different grind sharpens.

Overall the Large Inkosi is everything I was looking for in a Chris Reeve Knife.

Over the years CRK used different jumping. I agree I like the jumping on my Inkosi.

I bet you find after a few weeks of using its going to get nicer and smoother! I know mine out of the box was nicer then the 21 I handled the same time at the store. I also know its been nicer then any of the small sebenza I have had. They all got better after braking in, its just the Inkosi started nicer and got nicer still when it broke in.

Congrats on a nice knife.... now you might start lusting over the inlayed model ;)

I have a small Inksoi that I LOVE!!

I am glad that you are happy with your large. I happen to think that the Inksoi IS the best knife CRK has ever made, so far.

I have a small Inksoi that I LOVE!!

I am glad that you are happy with your large. I happen to think that the Inksoi IS the best knife CRK has ever made, so far.

Wow!! That says a lot. I could see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you've bought your new favorite knife. I got a 25 (Starbenza) early this year. I already had "a few" quality knives & have bought knives since the 25, but when I walk out the door, the 25 is always in my pocket.

I disassembled mine the day after it came to see what makes it tick & somebody on the forum here has a signature line that describes the knife perfectly. It goes something like: A designer's job is not finished when there's nothing left to add, but rather nothing left to take away. (I probably misquoted that, my apologies)

I do plan on updating this thread as I continue to use this knife. It is a great knife and is my favorite folder.

Somehow this thing gets better everyday. I'm loving this knife.

I'm super happy for you man. Can't wait for my chance to pick one up. Knowing that you're a guy who likes to move forward in his collection and trade up (which isn't a bad thing at all), if this knife stays with you into the future that will speak volumes about its design. Maybe there is a chance that Anne and the crew have knocked it right outta the park in the Bluemetalchurch world. Time will tell........keep us all posted, and if you do at some point sell it, let us know why.

I'm super happy for you man. Can't wait for my chance to pick one up. Knowing that you're a guy who likes to move forward in his collection and trade up (which isn't a bad thing at all), if this knife stays with you into the future that will speak volumes about its design. Maybe there is a chance that Anne and the crew have knocked it right outta the park in the Bluemetalchurch world. Time will tell........keep us all posted, and if you do at some point sell it, let us know why.

Yea, I've never been a "collector" in the since that most people are. I love the Inkosi though and I take pride that its in my pocket everyday. I would like to grab a large 21 in the future to have as well. As far as an EDC goes though the Inkosi is it, for me.

It's been over a week and this knife is with me everyday. I carry it at work in khakis with no issues and people aren't scared of it either. Usually I get a "ooh" or "wow" as they see it. I showed it to a friend who isn't into knives much but is into cycling and he was immediately impressed with the titanium. Today at the post office one of the ladies needed a knife to cut something with so I handed her my knife. She said it cut pretty good but her daddy always said a knife wasn't sharp unless it sliced paper; she was impressed when it did.

The Inkosi is a winner guys. Everyday I put this knife in my pocket it makes me happy. This is the CRK I've been searching for.

Back