The NEW Post Your Campsite/gear/knife/hiking/anything Outdoorsy Pic Thread!

Camped with my boys for a couple of nights and a short mile back.

Good times, good food, good weather. can hardly wait for the next trip.

[video=youtube;-ZBQXJ3Yms4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZBQXJ3Yms4[/video]

[video=youtube;5TXzzuU5kPA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TXzzuU5kPA[/video]

Very cool. I've never even seen snow like that. Were you ice fishing also?

Great to see winter finally upon the land, and such enjoyment :thumbup: Nice comfortable setup too. 8th pic is a perfect Christmas card.

How did the whittled snow shades work out?

Great to see winter finally upon the land, and such enjoyment :thumbup: Nice comfortable setup too. 8th pic is a perfect Christmas card.

How did the whittled snow shades work out?
The Snow shade work awesome and are warm on my face to boot.:cool:

The Snow shade work awesome and are warm on my face to boot.:cool:

Ohhhh! Now I want one! Can carves ivory?

125j2ip.jpg

Spent Friday night camping near Grant Grove in Kings Canyon NP, then yesterday we saw some big trees. Here is one, with my son and daughter-in-law.

Spent Friday night camping near Grant Grove in Kings Canyon NP, then yesterday we saw some big trees. Here is one, with my son and daughter-in-law.

Such a great time to be up there! I miss seing the snow up there by general sherman tree or big meadows. Where do you camp when you're up there during winter?

Such a great time to be up there! I miss seing the snow up there by general sherman tree or big meadows. Where do you camp when you're up there during winter?

Winter is by far my favorite time to be in the sequoia groves. We used to always snow camp at Lodgepole, but apparently they don't allow that any more. This time we camped at Azalea right by Grant Grove.

Used my RS6 wsk for some fire preparation yesterday.
The wsk design is hard to beat in this area.
Sorry for some dark pics but that's how it was... dark, wet and cold :)

WSK_5714.JPG

WSK_5712.JPG

WSK_5717.JPG

WSK_5719.JPG

Winter is by far my favorite time to be in the sequoia groves. We used to always snow camp at Lodgepole, but apparently they don't allow that any more. This time we camped at Azalea right by Grant Grove.

Bummer about lodgepole, we used to find some great muleys up there. I used to volunteer at the Visalia YMCA skateboard camp about 5 miles down the mountain at Sequoia Lake every summer, stayed for the winter. :)

pCGIiGw.jpg

Tt6Qsgh.jpg

What's your take on azalea? I haven't been up there in a couple years.

What's your take on azalea? I haven't been up there in a couple years.

At Azalea they still have you use marked campsites, and the parking spots were cleared of snow (tents went on the snow). At Lodgepole in the winter they just plowed the main parking lot but left the actual campsites and their associated parking spots unplowed. One year I was there when there was 10' of snow on the ground. Azalea is warmer. Lodgepole is a little higher and is at the bottom of the canyon that drains the Tablelands. All that cold air from the Tablelands (plateau at 10,000-11,000') flows down canyon at night and it gets rather chilly.

Yesterday afternoon my dog stumbled on some animal remains, I think it was a roe-deer.
searched for the skull to take home... it was broken and cracked but enough to try and clean up.

Ree_00.JPG

My tracker helped out building a fire to cook it clean... not sure if that's th eprper way to preserve the skul
Ree_01.JPG

Ree_03.JPG

Ree_06.JPG

Hungry anyone? ;)
Ree_07.JPG

Boiling away
Ree_08.JPG

Back