The NEW Post Your Campsite/gear/knife/hiking/anything Outdoorsy Pic Thread!

Kearsarge Lakes, Kings Canyon NP:
KingsCanyon2009559.jpg

KingsCanyon2009580.jpg

KingsCanyon2009654.jpg

Hillsborough River trip last week. We did nine miles on one the most wild and pristine cypress swamp rivers I have ever been on.
The water was crystal clear. We could see bowfin, gar and even dozens of wild plecostomus catfish over a foot long. There were bald eagles, every kind of bird you could think of and hundreds of alligators from babies to over nine foot long

If you ever get down Tampa way the good folks at Canoe Escapes will set you up.

042.jpg

027.jpg

023.jpg

015.jpg

Here's a 4 min. video of my camp fire last weekend.I had my Bose sound dock with & thought I'd add a song to accompany the fire vid.
The song is the Nighthawks' Jump into my fire.
Just turn the volume down if you don't want to hear the music.
Click & enjoy the warm fire,then click the box in the lower right corner for full screen.

Last edited:
A little beach and tidepool fun at night... : D

Tons of sea turtles sleeping, probably passed by at least 10 on this small stretch of sandy shore. Didn't want to disturb them and get close enough to provide something to scale, but these were some decent sized ones.

a111c379.jpg

cbd2d97b.jpg

086c85fe.jpg

(gotta love the shells)

b8044d5b.jpg

Humpback Cowries. Hawaiians used the best shells as octopus lures. Pretty ornamental shells as well, and you can find some pretty big ones.

2772c5d3.jpg

7e5e7527.jpg

Ha'uke'uke - Shingle urchins. The spines are actually flattened to form that armor plating, allowing the urchins to survive in the wave zone. If you find good sized ones, pry/knock them off the rock; the yellow eggs on the inside are edible.

If you prefer crab, there are lots of good sized 'A'ama crabs running around and feeding at night.
4b86af1b.jpg

Horn-eyed ghost crabs also abound on the sand, and digging them out of their deep spiral holes or chasing them down provides hours of entertainment for young island kids. Hell, it's still fun now.... : )

d7fbc1aa.jpg

814d5ac2.jpg

750adda0.jpg

Last edited:
Back