1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

The new Sanrenmu 913P looks rather attractive...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Dagon, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dagon

Dagon

Nov 12, 2007
    Gentlemen (and the odd lady),

Here is the new Sanrenmu 913P. I think it looks rather good.
    Blade is 8CrMov14 (57-58HRC), 3 5/16 in. (8.4cm), 1/8 in. (3.29mm) thick.
    Of course, I'd prefer it without the serrations, and without the black coating, but still.

To my -admittedly incomplete- knowledge, I think that it is also an original design, without too much inspiration borrowed from western brands. Comments on this one?

[​IMG]

2. like em sharp

like em sharp

Sep 13, 2011
    Well, first question that comes to mind - is it an actual SanRenMu or another counterfeit put out by MingRen? It looks like an original design at least.

3. vortex

vortex

Nov 9, 2001
    By any chance wasn't the donor of the handle a Benchmade Vex? ;)

4. Dagon

Dagon

Nov 12, 2007
    Ah yes, I compared them now and the handles and clip are very close indeed.
    With the Vex a China-made product, i can imagine that the OEM manufacturer has recycled part of it.

5. brets-ftw

brets-ftw

Sep 11, 2010
    was never a big fan of the vex and now the 913, just not my cup of tea I suppose, espesially with those thumb studs looking very non-lefty friendly

6. ASBOB

ASBOB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2008
    The blade looks like the one on the BM Bone Collector and its mini version, too.

7. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    I disagree. The BC's edge is straight for longer and then curves up more drastically towards the tip (like the Spyderco Stretch or another hunting/skinning/dressing knife), and the spine is entirely different. It's closer to the CRK Insingo than the BC (but even those are pretty different).

8. like em sharp

like em sharp

Sep 13, 2011
    It doesn't look anything like any of the Bone Collectors

Edit: Okay, took a closer look, they're not even remotely similar. What exactly are you seeing the same?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  9. timberweasel

timberweasel

Jan 5, 2011
    Blade shape reminds me of the Chinese-made Kershaw Compound... ;)

10. Dagon

Dagon

Nov 12, 2007
    Well, you will be able to compare near EVERY blade to some other on the market, and this one does not look more like others than if you compare western blade styles.
    I still find it rather nice. Bring on the uncoated plain edge variant!

11. timberweasel

timberweasel

Jan 5, 2011
    I certainly agree, sir! :)

Now the question is, would you buy an SRM 'expensive' production folder if they moved to higher end materials? I mean, Rough Rider brings some good materials to the table for dirt cheap... Imagine an SRM line that uses wood, bone, pearl, even micarta and/or carbon fibre, and say they sell for $50 or perhaps even offer a steel 'upgrade'... a 5x bump or so to their current pricing niche that would place them on par with mid-range offerings from 'The Big Three' manufacturers. Would you buy 'em? If the designs looked right, I'd probably buy a few. Could make SanRenMu a real competitor!

12. like em sharp

like em sharp

Sep 13, 2011
    I like SRM, but.... warranty. Warranty is an issue for me. I've broken who knows how many knives from just about all of the major companies in my knife collecting/using career and if I start to shell out more than say, $30 I expect backing. Even if SRM stepped up and offered a lifetime warranty (why not, the companies they OEM for like CRKT do) having to send it back and forth from China because there are no official NA suppliers would be a pain.

13. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Blade looks to be almost the same as the Sanrenmu 939. I'd take the 939 over the 913.

14. Buttmunkey

Buttmunkey

May 23, 2011
    Ya know it's kinda pointy and has an edge, it must be based on...

15. Dagon

Dagon

Nov 12, 2007
    For $50 you begin to enter the realm of, say, the Spyderco Delica. Even in its FRN handle, I would most likely take it over a bone handled SRM. Or perhaps if they grow their reputation over time: BMW also started as a llow end car manufacturer.

16. Liveitloud

Liveitloud

Jul 1, 2006
    Looks pretty much spot on with the handle on the Vex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 100eyes

100eyes

Sep 12, 2008
    The blade kinda looks like the one on sheepsfoot griptilians.

I've had my fill with SRM and other Chinese knives, too low in quality for my tastes.

18. unit

unit

Nov 22, 2009
    The opener on the Vex blade looks pretty much spot on with the...oh never mind;)

19. Liveitloud

Liveitloud

Jul 1, 2006

HAHA, yeah doesn't it. That's probably the only reason I have it.

20. 1robinhood

1robinhood

Apr 26, 2013
    Have to agree - Picked up a SRM 913p and a SRM 939 knife for under $30 shipped - for the money - they are just fine for my needs. I almost went for a Kershaw Turbulence or Compound - but I wanted to try out something new...

The handle on that SRM 913p is pretty nice - the blade with serrations - meh - it's okay - but it is quite smooth to open - looks like bronze washers in it?

The Black blade coatings are not my cup of tea - and the metal type is the kershaw compound- quality metal (unless they are being dishonest about the metal type) will be my general use knife for wear and tear.

Anyhow - not bad for the price paid - I'll stick with my USA made Kershaws from here on out though.

Last edited: May 3, 2013