THERE is NOT an answer for EVERYTHING!

I have tested it on 5160 and i got more card board cuts, finer edge, and 10 degrees more lateral flex untill break but this was also only done on two blades no more not a lot of money:)

Too many variable there to determine causality. Sub-zero quench converts the retained austenite in high alloy steels. You'll typically see a 1 - 2 point HRc increase after a -90 - -110°F sub-zero quench (the Mf point for most steels) in dry ice/acetone (for example). So to prove if the freezer treatment is doing anything, put one knife in the freezer, leave the other on the workbench. Measure any difference in hardness between the two.

The Ms-Mf (Martensite Start, Martensite Finish) charts in the AMS Heat Treater's Guide (or any modern metallurgy book) will show you the percent of retained austenite reduced for a specific temperature. There's almost no conversion until -90 - -110°F.

I am just not going to post heat treats anymore have fun with your text book answers everyone.

When did knifemakers become so whiny/preachy? Why can't eveyone just do they're own thing and have fun and make some money if you are inclined to?

Sam, I would not generalize based on Chad here. He's just trying to make friends and doing a darn good job if I say so myself. :D

I will post my personal comments.

I would not trust advice from an electrician who says he doesn't understand how electricity works.
I would not fly in a helicopter worked on by a person that doesn't understand how it flies....and says it shouldn't
I don't know how much he has studied these fields, or what books he has read, but both these things are common scientific knowledge,........ and despite the internet wives tales about bumble bees not being able to fly, that is well understood ,too.

I would also not put much stock in a HT defense by a new maker who does not understand HT, but blindly follows someone else's advise over the vast majority of well studied and experienced people who have proven facts to go by. That isn't to say that Ed's advise is wrong, it is just that chad doesn't know enough to get as defensive as he has. His "facts" used to present his case also don't help his argument, either.

I don't think we should open the Ed Fowler HT debate again, as it has been pretty well worked over. Most of us have agreed to disagree.
Ed's a nice guy, he makes a good knife, he is happy with his HT, end of story. If people want to talk about it, I suggest a PM or taking it to Around the Grinder. Shop Talk isn't the place for it.

I think Ed's advise to make your knives and test them to destruction is good advise.

I suggest chad make his next 20 or 30 blades in the metal he wants to learn how to use, test them to destruction, and keep detailed records on every part of the testing.They should be identically shaped and size, made from the same batch of metal stock, individually Heat Treated in groups of three with the same HT specs - That is three separate HTs, not three at a time. If all three blades of a test set aren't the same, there is a variable in the HT that needs to be addressed. With the charts of temperatures, times, grain structure, hardness tests at several places on each blade, and all the other testing data, he will learn how he wants to adjust his HT. Every change will require a new group of 3 blades to be made. All knives should be identical, and all equipment should be the same.
As suggested by lazlo, before a certain process variation can be valid, it has to be compared to the standard. So making a three blade test set exactly by the books, and comparing it to the different methods being explored is part of the procedure. Merely doing one set of parameters and saying it made a good knife doesn't mean that it is better or that another method isn't good.
Side-by-side testing of both processes gives the best results. To make it really accurate, blind testing is the only way not to bias it.
Each tang should be marked with a number before HT, and the number recorded. Then the blades should be heat treated, and the detailed HT notes made for each numbered blade. Put away this HT sheet.
After HT, the tangs should be covered with tape or simple handles ( which should all be identical), and the blades finished and prepared for testing. This means you should not be able to tell one from the other. When ready for testing , each should have a letter or ID mark placed on the tape or handle. The detailed records of the testing should be kept for these letters/marks.
After the destruction tests are completed, remove the tape/handle and match each tang number HT data with the handle letter test data. This prevents pre-conceived impressions affecting your test data.

Now, as moderator;
If this stays civil, I'll let it run. If there is any more name calling or insults, I'll lock it and give warning points.
If you don't like chad's or someone else's ideas.....just hit the ignore button instead of send.

Me thinks your goal is to make 1,000 post within six months time, you are not a rare bird around these parts. We've seen them come and go.
Make a hundred knives then stop by and give us your qualified opinion.

Fred, I've got over 500 knives behind me and I'm still not qualified, as for as number of post---- I don't talk very much. Jerry

Stacy,

I like the intervention.....especially coupled with the advise about blind testing (perhaps double blind would be better?). As Chad is a newer member to these forums...his opinions don't hold much weight...possibly they will in the future.

I've always, however, admired perseverance and genuine curiosity as to...Why? My appreciation for those who are tenacious in their pursuit of our future is unending. Passion for ones argument is good...just so long as enough of that passion can be left for the research. Proportionate energy for appropriate task.

Bobby,

Hershey, PA

I will post my personal comments.

I would not trust advice from an electrician who says he doesn't understand how electricity works.
I would not fly in a helicopter worked on by a person that doesn't understand how it flies....and says it shouldn't
I don't know how much he has studied these fields, or what books he has read, but both these things are common scientific knowledge,........ and despite the internet wives tales about bumble bees not being able to fly, that is well understood ,too.

I would also not put much stock in a HT defense by a new maker who does not understand HT, but blindly follows someone else's advise over the vast majority of well studied and experienced people who have proven facts to go by. That isn't to say that Ed's advise is wrong, it is just that chad doesn't know enough to get as defensive as he has. His "facts" used to present his case also don't help his argument, either.

I don't think we should open the Ed Fowler HT debate again, as it has been pretty well worked over. Most of us have agreed to disagree.
Ed's a nice guy, he makes a good knife, he is happy with his HT, end of story. If people want to talk about it, I suggest a PM or taking it to Around the Grinder. Shop Talk isn't the place for it.

I think Ed's advise to make your knives and test them to destruction is good advise.

I suggest chad make his next 20 or 30 blades in the metal he wants to learn how to use, test them to destruction, and keep detailed records on every part of the testing.They should be identically shaped and size, made from the same batch of metal stock, individually Heat Treated in groups of three with the same HT specs - That is three separate HTs, not three at a time. If all three blades of a test set aren't the same, there is a variable in the HT that needs to be addressed. With the charts of temperatures, times, grain structure, hardness tests at several places on each blade, and all the other testing data, he will learn how he wants to adjust his HT. Every change will require a new group of 3 blades to be made. All knives should be identical, and all equipment should be the same.
As suggested by lazlo, before a certain process variation can be valid, it has to be compared to the standard. So making a three blade test set exactly by the books, and comparing it to the different methods being explored is part of the procedure. Merely doing one set of parameters and saying it made a good knife doesn't mean that it is better or that another method isn't good.
Side-by-side testing of both processes gives the best results. To make it really accurate, blind testing is the only way not to bias it.
Each tang should be marked with a number before HT, and the number recorded. Then the blades should be heat treated, and the detailed HT notes made for each numbered blade. Put away this HT sheet.
After HT, the tangs should be covered with tape or simple handles ( which should all be identical), and the blades finished and prepared for testing. This means you should not be able to tell one from the other. When ready for testing , each should have a letter or ID mark placed on the tape or handle. The detailed records of the testing should be kept for these letters/marks.
After the destruction tests are completed, remove the tape/handle and match each tang number HT data with the handle letter test data. This prevents pre-conceived impressions affecting your test data.

Now, as moderator;
If this stays civil, I'll let it run. If there is any more name calling or insults, I'll lock it and give warning points.
If you don't like chad's or someone else's ideas.....just hit the ignore button instead of send.

WOW I FEEL LIKE I DONT KNOW HOW TO TYPE! but when i read over my stuff i see that you guys just keep reading what you want to read.

i never said that i did not know how electricty works, i never said that i did not know how these aircraft systems work, and i was obviously wrong about the helo not being able to fly comment. but i did say that electricty is still a theory! and i also said that these aircraft systems can do things that i could never do, i was simply testifying that we have a very strong knowledge of how electricity works but we do not know EXACTLY how it works. which is true! this is why it is still THE THEORY OF ELECTRICITY.

Friends do not treat each other this way.

Knifemaking is a mixture of science and philosophy, and probably a few other things. This fact is inescapable and is “why” there are no absolutes and no answer for everything...

WOW I FEEL LIKE I DONT KNOW HOW TO TYPE! but when i read over my stuff i see that you guys just keep reading what you want to read.

i never said that i did not know how electricty works, i never said that i did not know how these aircraft systems work, and i was obviously wrong about the helo not being able to fly comment. but i did say that electricty is still a theory! and i also said that these aircraft systems can do things that i could never do, i was simply testifying that we have a very strong knowledge of how electricity works but we do not know EXACTLY how it works. which is true! this is why it is still THE THEORY OF ELECTRICITY.

You should read up on what a scientific theory is versus theory as used in common speech. They are not the same thing.

Fred, I've got over 500 knives behind me and I'm still not qualified, as for as number of post---- I don't talk very much. Jerry

I probable talk to much, have over five hundred knives behind me and still consider myself a student of the craft.
I think thats why a lot of us stay at it; there is always something to learn and many ways to improve. All thats needed is desire and an open mind.

Regards, Fred

Good post Stacy!

Chad I gave advice to let it die earlier in the thread and didn't mean it in anyway against you! I was worried about the mess a thread like this stirred up last time as a internet community. I'm glad you are so passionate about knife making! Just keep a open mind in case you are wrong so you can freely admit it and test like stacy said. There are little things we should always test in knife making to improve wether it be heat treatments to simple things like handle shape and sizes. I wish nothing but the best for ya and remember to enjoy the ride!

You should read up on what a scientific theory is versus theory as used in common speech. They are not the same thing.

So true. Very few people really understand the word "theory"... a great deal more think they understand it but prove otherwise when they use it. You can almost always identify the misuse of the word because it will either be bolded or capitalized (or both), because they want to emphasize they don't think it's a fact. By the way, "fact" is another word often misused by the unwashed masses.

Look guys just because you do not think something works because the lab geeks can not figure out why it works, does not mean it does not work! For example my job! I am an electrician, electricity is a theory we still do not know exactly how it works but we know it works. Just because these lab geeks can not find out how fowlers heat treat works does not mean it doesnt do amazing things to the steel. So lets stop talking about how austenite transfer happens at -90 degrees and only in a milli second because there are many things that we can not explain exactly but we can give a cause and affect to a process. Lets stop citing books of info and start giving more info to those book writers. Start testing fowlers process compared to yours and let me know if your process is better. Dont tell me i am wrong because a book says its wrong. Because yet another example of my job i work on H60 sea hawks which is a helicopter and scientificly a helicopter should not fly so try and tell me that it does not fly because those lab geeks say it cant fly. Start contributing to more information instead of breaking down people who are trying to contribute. if everyone was like 30% of the ppl on this forum, we would have no information for those 30% to read and quote all day long.

Ahem. Actually, our understanding of the theory of electricity and magnetism ... and its practice ... is very likely our supreme scientific achievement. We understand E&M better than anything else in nature, and that understanding leads to extremely precise and accurate predictions. Certainly, the mathematics isn't always easy to grasp or to manipulate -- but, please trust me, it does work very well.

I speak from knowledge, here. I have the degrees and the experience.:)

Not trying to be argumentative -- just wanted to clear up a misperception.

Knifemaking is a mixture of science and philosophy, and probably a few other things. This fact is inescapable and is “why” there are no absolutes and no answer for everything...

I know my limitations.

Science is my career and my passion. When we enter the realm of philosophy and art, I back away and bow at the successful practitioners ... such as this gentleman.

I have no qualifications to speak on this subject, but the "just a theory" thing bug me a little. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but the word 'theory' is used very differently in a scientific context than in regular English. Scientific theories are hypotheses that have been repeatedly tested and have not been disproven or overturned by the available evidence. Widely accepted theories, like the theory of gravity, atomic theory, and the theory of evolution, have undergone intensive testing and are supported by all available evidence. They are comprehensive enough that, should contrary evidence emerge, it would more likely disprove a small piece of the theory and cause it to evolve than force us to move to an entirely different explanation.

Sorry for the rant.

Back