1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Think this one's worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by the possum, Mar 17, 2017.

1. the possum

the possum

Jul 31, 2002
    I found this unmarked head in Dad's shed. I couldn't resist cleaning it up a little.
    [​IMG]

But as you can see, it's been worn quite a bit and has a thicker edge.
    [​IMG]

Overall, the geometry seems pretty similar to a (presumed) Woodslasher boy's axe I have, except it looks like it's missing more than an inch of steel:
    [​IMG]

I think I'll go ahead and mount it, but am trying to decide if it's worth the effort to thin and reshape the haft, or use up one of the precious few I've got with good grain. I'm tempted to just stick in on an off-the-rack hardware store haft & just keep it as a splitter. What say ye? Would you put in the work to give it a nice classic helve?

2. SC T100

SC T100

Apr 2, 2014
    It's a good axe with that high centerline. Either file it back for felling/bucking, or use as-is a splitter. Either way it's very likely a high quality axe.

3. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I think you have a good plan. Stick it on a decent hardware store haft and put it to work.

4. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Yes, great user.

5. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Looks like it will make as solid and efficient axe as most that come through here – marked or not.

A comfortable/shaped/solid handle (nothing crazy) might make it something you pick up and use with confidence.

[​IMG]

I flipped the photo perspective just for my own curiosity and thought it pulled my attention to the bit end. Left to right reader lol.