• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Tim Britton Knives: Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just word of caution. I bought an EZ Opener from him in 2011 and think highly of it. In May of 2012 I ordered a straight blade from him - and was quoted 2 months. In July I started emailing and calling trying to find out what the status was. It took me until August to finally get a response and at that point he didn't remember the order. So, we started all over again - again with a two month promise. In October, not having heard anything, I started trying to reach him again. After weeks of trying to reach him I finally got an email about his father-in-law being sick, then dying, then moving his mother-in-law etc. All very sad. All the more believable if he had been a little more forthcoming with the info and a little more pro-active on letting me know what was going on. During the first week of December I actually got an email saying the knife was ready to be shipped and asking me for the blade inscription which I immediately gave him. Two weeks later tried to reach him to find out the status. I was told this time that the knife was done and would be shipped in 24 hours. Ten days later - no knife - and again unable to reach him.

Today got an email from him saying that he got word from the US Post Office that the envelope to me was found "empty" at their processing hub. He offered to send me a pocket folder in lue of the knife that I had ordered 8 months ago. Once agan emailed him, told him how frustrated I was and asked him to call me so that we could figure this out. Sent back an email refusing to call me - saying he was "relaxing" before flying out to the Vegas knife show and again offering a folder - or my money back.

At this point I decided to google him and found a note on this forum from another buyer who had waited months for a knife ony to be told that his knife has also been "lost in the mail".....

I really don't know what to make of this guy - the knife I have is good. Maybe this whole transaction just went bad. On the other hand, seeing that someone else had EXACTLY the same excuses from him raises my suspicions. I guess my advice would be - if you see him at a show, and there is something that you like, then buy it. On the other hand, if you are thinking of ordering something, I would suggest a more reputable guy.

A LOT of views, but no responses?

I noticed this is your first post Reloader, sorry it is a negative one.

I can not add much information other than my experience meeting Tim at Blade a couple of years ago and buying one of his "Baby bullets".

He was a friendly guy and seemed sincere in providing nice knives at a good price to customers. He is not a young man and the health related issues may be as he stated.

Hopefully the situation will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Good Luck,
Peter

I had similar expirence with Tim Asked for him to make a larger version of one of his fixed blade knives. He agreed, he asked for a deposit I sent it to him, The completion date came and went, Finally after multiple calls he said it was ready I sent in payment and recieved the regular model , not what i ordered. I contacted him and sent it back he told me that he would have it made in less then a month I contacted him again after a month he had told me it was finished he was just waiting to get it back from he sheath maker. Another month passed and no knife ot refund i called him again and he stated that He had no intrest makinf fixed blade knives anymore and told me that he would refund my money. It took a few more moths before I finally received my refund.

I will give credit where it is due he does make some nice looking folding knives and if I was in the market for a folder I would give him a shot, But would not recoment him for a fixed blade unless you are buying it at a show and taking possesion of the knife at the show

Last edited:
I've dealt with Tim many times and never had any problems. I'm surprised that you encountered the problems that mentioned. I hope it works out for you.

I just finished shooting a knife for Tim. It's stunning and well made. An engraved folder.

I can only speak for MY experiences, and I've never dealt with an easier and more amenable person. He's making incredible folders and is a regular on the show scene. Pays me ASAP.

I hope this works out for you, and you guys get it right. As always, a phone call is more meaningful and efficient than emails. Call him.

366-923-2062 (Listed: Knives Annual 2013)

Coop

Tim has 7 shows scheduled on his website. For a man of his age I don't know how he can make knives for and attend that many shows a year. :confused:

Chuck Gedraitis Knives, back in June 2008 you said about Tim Britton "He's only making certain models for a reason." What are you trying to say about the gentleman? Be direct.

I'll let you make your own assumptions. Here is a picture of Tim at an A.G. Russell show. Count the number of knives on his table that you can see. Multiply that number by the number of shows he has scheduled this year, seven. Add knives for orders and dealers and what number do you come up with? I can't make that many knives a year and I'm half his age.

Still not very direct. I don't want to assume, 'cause it'll make an ass of u & me :)

I'd like to know what you know, not what you assume.

He's got a fair amount of product, but per the quality of his slipjoints, there are many positive testimonials on this site. Most of his customers are happy. Most testimonials also indicate his prices are reasonable. Maybe Mr. Britton makes his folders with techniques similar to those used Bob Terzuola, Rick Hinderer, etc.

Maybe he's just better than you :)

like Paul Harvey used to say....here's the story behind the story. By the way thanks COOP for your friendship. I'll accept orders occasionally, prefer to make what I want to and everything seems to flow, and I don't get tired or bored. What this unhappy customer fails to mention is that he received 14 emails from me advising him of every detail related to his order. My father in law died and Deb and I moved her mother down here to be with us.....impact on my schedule and my psyche was a bit overwhelming. I finally finished this knife and specially engraved a presentation for free and sent it to this customer. 3 days later I received a "damaged package notice" from mail in Atlanta. I immediately email this customer and offered to replace this knife with a more expensive folder (no extra charge)and finish it the day b4 I was leaving for a show in Las vegas. Even this wasn't enuff. I offered a refund and that wasn't acceptable to him; so I offered to finish another knife when I got back from the show.....that didn't appease him. OK.....where do we go from here ! I refunded his $ in full and he still is an "unhappy camper". Nothing more I can do and not much else to be said. The matter should be closed, but he goes online......WHEW !!

this Gedraitis dude would do a heck of a lot better if he spent less time sniping at others on forums and more time working in his own shop. I've heard all this crap from him before on the forums, but he was quiet for a few years, and now he surfaces again with photos of me at a show ? I responded to a post from him once before where he suggested that I had someone(s) making knives for me. I've been at this business since 1972 and there will always be resentful beanheads who hide behind computers and take potshots at those who have "risen above the crowd". Comparing me to Hinderer and Terzuola is a HUGE compliment....both fine knifemakers and true gentlemen. We all use (at least so I've heard) waterjet technology to replace metal cutting bandsaw....I even use it for my liners. This streamlines folders making hugely ! Thanks to my friends and customers who understand that my reputation is in my work, not sniping at others on forums. I'll be in Little Rock for the Knifemakers show in Feb, and NY/NJ in March. Please stop by and say hello. Happy 2013

I have no personal knowledge and no dog in this fight but I've heard the occasional rumor over the years both on these forums and elsewhere on the web and it is disturbing, to say the least.
It benefits no one in this community to either proffer (or accept on their face) false allegations, or worse, to be in the position of having to defend oneself from such claims.

As long as Mr. Britton is putting the record straight in this thread, perhaps he can put these rumors to bed once and for all by letting our members (and his potential customers) know what (if any) parts or processes are outsourced (both here in the U.S. and/or overseas) and what is done entirely within his shop by hand.

This should (hopefully) clear up any misunderstandings and/or unwarranted accusations.

My thanks in advance on behalf of all our members.

Last edited:
Tim,
You have been making knives for a long time and have such a wealth of knowledge about them. How about becoming more of a contributing member of this forum and helping others learn what you know? How about showing some of us youngsters how you make a knife with some WIP photos? I'm sure the knife buying community would love to see your work and the steps you take to make a knife. It would help educate the buying public on what goes into making one of your knives.
Hope to see more of you on the forums.

thanks Chuck.....you have touched my conscience. I do owe you guys something.....Blackie Collins and Frank Centofante ALWAYS shared with me and many other fledgeling makers way back when. Previous to this time, only time I visit forums is when someone tells me someone is talking trash about me. I can do better..... So here goes my "secret stuff" that allows me to make almost one slippie per day:

1. start with thin steel. I HAD a stash of 2.4mm bg42 sheet which was an overage for some knife company. now using s35vn
2. 3 most important words in knifemaking, flat, flat and flat.
3. I use 416ss for liners and bolsters, have it profiled by waterjet; all metal parts are waterjet profiled, even bolsters
4. fasten bolsters to liners with spot welder (2 spots), pound flat fit with lead hammer
5. use only the finest handle material and keep it thin, reduce size from bottom side only
6. ALL blade grinding is done with a very old variable speed Porter Cable reversible disc grinder at a VERY low speed.
(even a monkey could grind blades if speed is slow enuff.) Coarsest grit used is 220 alox
gottago cut what few hairs I have left, more this afternoon on grinding and finishing steel. Promise to save you a ton of time and cut fingers !!!!
and by the way.....thanks for reminding me that I've been selfish.....that's true, and I have. I'll try to do better. regards, Tim

To the OP, I would suggest taking the maker up on the refund. Even if he bangs you out the knife you want, you will always have a sour feeling about it.

Of course, with my tastes, it would be hard to resist taking one of his slipjoints.

Well the OP has one post and never returned. That says something too.

Tim, you should show Chuck how to pin a slipjoint, he's likes to screw 'em :) and in my book, it ain't a real slipjoint if it is screwed.

I would appreciate if Tim would post some WIP pictures of his slip-joints and how he pins them together. It better be right before it's pinned otherwise one has the task of taking it apart to adjust it.

BIG issue for pinning is when holes aren't PERFECTLY aligned or being in too big a hurry and striking the pin head so hard that pin bends rather than just rounding the head and filling the chamferred hole. I use a very small hammer and use nickel silver for handle pins, 416ss for pivot pin. holes are all reamed.....even the best drills I can buy drill irregular holes. I use a lot of drill bits.....throw them away at the first catch or whine. Re the nickel silver pins, try and find pins with hi brass content....shines like gold. Everything HAS to be aligned and working well b4 I cut off the pins.....and then crown the heads with a jewelers hammer. You'll never see a pinhead in one of my bolsters.....just something I'm touchy about.
All of my grinding is with a disk sander.....abrasive paper backed with black tool box liner from Lowe's....durable and forgiving, but not mushy. Horizontal disk has been breakthrough for me. Steven Rapp came to visit and shared this with me....all of his grinding is on a horizontal disk, moving slow as a snail. Watch for his folding knives soon to come.....gonna make us all look like amateurs. Other makers often ask me how I grind such small blades.....not small when I grind them.....they're the end of a strip of steel ! Nail nick is another often bothersome issue.....I use a fly cutter in a mill drill or a small EDM machine for wierd shapes. (I'll check in with you guys from time to time. My new "TANGO" tactical is exciting to me......whole different ballgame, and very forgiving. Guess I put off using titanium long enuff..... Regards, Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back