Titanium Frame lock WIP and introduction

thanks SilverLighT!

so yesterday i wanted to tap holes for the clip... i got one but broke my tap on the other two.. so i dunked TI frame in ferric chloride and in the morning cleaned the holes and started again..with success this time :D

after that i fine tuned the blade and the handles, cut the titanium stop pin/thumb stud put the detend ball ball in...and now i have to wait till monday to get this blade heat treated...

i'll have to order some thick g10 or some more TI bars or both for standoffs , i think i have enough to finish up one more knife. what do you guys think about g10 as a standoff material?

463eb970.jpg

00.jpg

000.jpg

6.jpg

2-5.jpg

1-5.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
ok finally today i finished one...

i didn't know if i should put only orange peel or orange peel + heat color.. the last pic is frame after orange peel

thanks for all the comments!!!

2.jpg

1.jpg

22.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

thanks guys!!!

today i got one more... few final touches and shes gonna be done..
i decided to stone wash this one...so first i hand polished frames and blade and than after 2hrs of tumbling this is the result
pics:

01.jpg

1-3.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-1.jpg

Wish you all happy Easter :)

thanks Alphahunter ;)

today i received ".204 thick titanium... enough for 3 more knives...i'm gonna make some small adjustments to the current design..
1111.jpg

Very nice looking knives. Have you ever tried thread forming taps? Something to check into, but do your research well! They are pre-drilled at different sizes, and they are stonger, but I have snapped a few, and they harder to remove when you do.

@soulpatch
no i haven't but i definitely will.. wanted to get tapmatic but it's a bit too expensive for me right now

@butcher_block
thank you
and just to say that dealing with spyderco (mr. Jhones) was is a real treat... and their prices are more than reasonable!

Lovely rugged design. I like it. I was wondering how you cut out the lock spring. It looks very sweet. Or are the handles laser or waterjet cut?

Brian

thank you everyone,

handles are waterjet cut, of course all holes are smaller and the frame is a bit oversized so i can drill and ream the holes to my liking and sand the edges on frames..
cut out is made using a mill , 10mm. it's done layer by layer , i have to take it to this guy that does mill work for me as i don't own one (yet)...

i'll post a youtube vid soon, as for the finish,
the black one is done by dunking the blade in ferric chloride for ~5mins and than stonewash for 10~15 mins (i saw it from jake hoback), the last one is made by only stonwashing for 2hrs in a tumbler.. i used stones and ceramic media and sprayed heavily with wd40 prior to tumbling.

here's a short video, sorry for the crappy picture but i filmed it using my phone..

[video=youtube;8_4uyms2Sto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_4uyms2Sto[/video]

Those Wiha screwdrivers are great, good quality stuff.

8Gq9P.jpg

How do you make this slot for the locking functionality of the folder without a mill?

QPTVt.jpg

if you're referring to the cut out on the lock side , i have to take it to a guy that has a mill and a lathe... he did the pivot, cut and drill the standoffs ( i taped them and screwed up +20 taps in the process) and lock cut out..

i tried doing the cut out using a drill press but the end result wasn't the way i like it...

Back