Recommendation? To Double or Not To Double? (thumb studs)

get double thumb studs on my 21 or not?

• yes

Votes: 39 66.1%
  • no

Votes: 20 33.9%

• Total voters
  • I am right handed and my knife is at CRK for spa.
  • so I have the oppurtunity to have them install
  • a new double thumb stud. But, $35 is $35
  • why would I want or need a double other than just
  • because it's cool? :cool:20170503_123550[1].jpg

You'll be able to open the knife with either hand.
You may not ever need it, but if you do, it's there.

I would do it just for aesthetics. I think that the single stud looks silly. You sent it in for a spa, which is mostly to improve the aesthetics. If you're going to do that you might as well spend the couple extra bucks in my opinion. Of course, most would agree that my opinion is worth less than $35 so there's that.

i thought about that as it is difficult to open left handed w/ no stud..

I usually start opening the blade with my middle finger on my left hand and then just push on the blade with my thumb the rest of the way and it usually works, with an extra stud there it would be just a c-hair easier.

If your knife is of the small variety i've found it harder to start opening with the left handed stud vs a large, it every persons hands are different I guess.

I had them installed on three knives that I just got back.
  • I think it looks better.
  • You can open it with either hand.
  • I actually open most of my folders by pinching but studs (or both sides of the disc) with my thumb and index finger.
  • I like all my CRKs with double studs better than the singles and any knife I send in will get them.
All of these but the Regular got double studs.
_DSC4530%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsesvkgu4o.jpg

The carbon fiber inlay Insingo in particular looks much better with them in my opinion.
_DSC4602%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixle%208_zpsoa0gahsr.jpg

_DSC4603%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsxu3nokyz.jpg

I like and own both types. The left-hand stud on a right hand knife is not really that comfortable or accessible, so I use the index-finger hook method of opening a right hand knife with my left hand, typically, even if it has double studs.

The greatest advantage of the single stud is it takes the stud out of the cutting path on the side of the blade you would typically engage with the material your are cutting. You mainly notice this if your messing around with making marshmallow roasting sticks, feather sticks etc, which most wouldn't use a Sebenza for anyways. I do notice that one advantage of the single stud at those times that I'm fire building or camping with one.

Get the double. What if you lose your right hand one day (god forbid) you don't want to lose your chance to open your Sebenzas too do you?

Also there are many times where I am holding something in my strong hand and opening my knife with my weaker hand. I believe this type of thing happens all the time. I think all CRKs should come with double thumbstuds in today's day and age. There is no valid reason not to except that CRK changes its traditions at a snail's pace.

Also if you ever plan on reselling that knife a double thumb stud will be only seen as a positive.

I like and own both types. The left-hand stud on a right hand knife is not really that comfortable or accessible, so I use the index-finger hook method of opening a right hand knife with my left hand, typically, even if it has double studs.

The greatest advantage of the single stud is it takes the stud out of the cutting path on the side of the blade you would typically engage with the material your are cutting. You mainly notice this if your messing around with making marshmallow roasting sticks, feather sticks etc, which most wouldn't use a Sebenza for anyways. I do notice that one advantage of the single stud at those times that I'm fire building or camping with one.

Can you describe the index finger hook method to me? I am a leftie that generally carries righty knives. The way I have been opening my righty Sebenzas is to use my middle finger to push the stud out then thumbing the blade the rest of the way open. If there is a better way I would love to know.

This is easy....
2x studs, for all the reasons already mentioned, such as: aesthetic balance, ease of opening with off hand, etc.

I'm thinking the only reason for a single stud is to avoid catching on your pocket when drawing your CRK.

I'm working on some new lyrics about this issue...sing this to the tune of "Short People" by Randy Newman:
"Single stud's got no reason / Single stud's got no reason / Single stud's got no reason / To be"

I don't necessarily agree that the single studs look bad. The newer ones have that very nice machining detail on the back, and in some ways, especially on a PJ 21, they represent a knife distilled down to its basic parts with "no frills", which I like.

If you think long enough about it, you realize that the reason why the 25 and later Inkosi did not have the single-stud option is that they would have had to manufacture a different size of single-stud for the new blade thickness. The double studs on the inkosi and 25 are likely identical to the double ones on a 21, just with more of a gap between them. That makes the single stud a unique feature on the 21 that one day we may come to miss.

One things for certain, if CRK discontinued single-studs, all of a sudden that would be the thing to have.:D

This is easy....
2x studs, for all the reasons already mentioned, such as: aesthetic balance, ease of opening with off hand, etc.

I'm thinking the only reason for a single stud is to avoid catching on your pocket when drawing your CRK.

I'm working on some new lyrics about this issue...sing this to the tune of "Short People" by Randy Newman:
"Single stud's got no reason / Single stud's got no reason / Single stud's got no reason / To be"
aesthetically yes i think it will look and function better.

Back