Treasures Found!

Thanks for the great photos, guys. Awesome ... I LOVE those EOs. I will try and get some more pics of the Camillus Jumbo up as soon as I can. Ya think I should slide over and pick the other one up for twenty-five bucks?

WHOA! Fellow addicts ... I went back to the shop to pick up the other Camillus Jumbo and fate overtook me. The blade rapture ... the sky opened up and out came the knife angels. Turns out the place is changing locations and they are in the process of a move. I walked in and the lady smiled and I asked "Still got that half price deal on the knives back there?"

She answered, "Yep, why don't you buy the whole lot so I don't have to move them?"

"Why don't you make me an offer?"

"Maybe I will. How about two hundred bucks for the whole sheebang? Guy passing through offered me three fifty a month ago after I just got 'em all, but I had to get some values before I could do that. Then you bought a couple last week." We walked back to the display case. Probably thirty, maybe forty knives, all folders, almost all American made and identified, almost all name brand, older knives. Most priced at $25, $38 and a few at $50, one at $65. (Keep in mind she was now at half that.) I drooled a little, but wiped it clean before she could notice.

"Two hundred for the lot huh?"

"Yep. I haven't had 'em that long really. With this move, it's just more clutter to pack. I'll even throw in the cigar box with those ten dollar specials." (Six or eight more knives, including three or four SAK copies and a Pakistan made barlow.)

"Hmmm ... well, I didn't really bring that much cash. Can you squeak it down a little more?"

" ... One seventy five will buy the lot, but that's as low as I'll go."

"I'll take the lot for one seventy five. Thank you. That's a great deal."

"Well, maybe you can do somethin' with 'em. I really don't do much with knives. I take care of the guns mostly."

"Oh", I said, "surely I will find a few to swap or sell in this bunch. I'm no expert or renowned collector, I just love knives."

And with that, I paid the women and brought home an entire, bulging cigar box of antique folders, all individually bagged and labeled. I'm still shaking. I haven't even opened it up to really inspect the contents yet. More to come on the story, that's a promise. What a day.

Last edited:
Good fortune for sure!

Once you get over the shakes, how about some pictures?

I was going to request a picture of the bulgy cigar box in the interim, but that suddenly sounded inappropriate.

Congratulations on an unexpected windfall. I hope there are some good 'uns in there, and look forward to your pictures. :thumbup:

~ P.

It's a comin' ... thanks for the kind wishes everyone! I can't wait to get caught up so I can dig into the treasure.

OK friends, I did a rush on this because I am leaving for three days, so no "up close and personal" photos on any individual knives. Here's what the day produced:

i-WtFxhq4-M.jpg

The BOX ...

i-4GS3b6K-L.jpg

Opened ... treasures revealed.

i-mGRkVps-XL.jpg

Everything laid out ... and here are some notes and the contents:

This lot of knives was sticker priced at a total of $1027 for a total of 35 knives. They were reduced to half price, making the sticker value $513. I bought the entire box for $175. Most were vintage, American knives and name brands.

List:

Column 1 (far left):

Schrade 225H 5” – 2 blade
Victorinox Switzerland Stainless Rostfrei
No maker mark 5” single blade
Fairmont Cutlery Co, N.Y. – 2 blade jack
Kutmaster, Utica N.Y. – 3 blade
Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co – 3 blade
Schrade+ SP2 locking blade
Japanese stainless “easy open” single blade
Pakistan manufacture Barlow
Four (4) Swiss Army Knife knock offs ... one is old and marked with a whale logo, made in Germany (Solingen), the other three are China junk, although the stainless one is alright.

Column 2:

Kent N.Y. City USA single blade
Diamond Edge 276 – 2 blade
Lawton Cutlery Co. – 2 blade
Schrade USA 340T “Old Timer” - 3 blade
Camillus N.Y. Easy Open no. 33 – 2 blade
Kutmaster Utica N.Y. - 3 blade
Pocketeze Robertson USA – 2 blade
Imperial Prov. R.I. – 3 blade

Column 3:

Schrade Walden no. 825 – 3 blade
Camillus N.Y. Easy Open no. 33 – 2 blade
Shap-Leigh D-E HDW - 2 blade
Camillus N.Y. made Masonic advertising pocket knife reads “Scottish Rite Bodies - Valley Of Quincy Illinois – 100th Anniversary 1866-1966”
Wabash Cutlery (A) with (faded) photos of nude women beneath scales – 2 blade
Wabach Cutlery (B) with (severely faded) photos of nude women – 2 blade
Case XX no. 2137 – single blade

Column 4 (far right):

Marked stockman 3 blade (unknown mark)
Henry Sears& Son 1865 - 3 blade
Schrade+ Uncle Henry no. 897UH – 3 blade
Anvil Prov. R.I. “Honed Edge” – 2 blade
Camillus N.Y. Switchback with Sword Logo – single blade
Boker USA no. 8573 with miniature dime inlay – 3 blade
Camillus N.Y. “Jumbo” – 2 blade

Now ... I have to get busy packing! Looking forward to talking about some of these with you all!

Last edited:
I'd say you did good. What part of Wi are you in? I'm thinking I need to check the junk stores around here now. :)
A quick search comes up with Kent knives were made for Woolworths by Comillus during 1931-1955. I thought it was a cool knife so did a google search on Kent.

Last edited:
If anyone sees something you've been looking for, I would consider passing on the good find.

Last edited:
The words helluva smokin' deal come to mind. :)

The Camillus pieces look particularly nice. Congrats on the haul.

I'm in Stevens Point. I never come across anything even close to what you found. Great score.Do you have a favorite out of the bunch?

I'm in Stevens Point. I never come across anything even close to what you found. Great score.Do you have a favorite out of the bunch?

Haven't had time to really chew on that yet. I'm just delighted to find a few Schrade Old Timers, a Boker and that Case XX ... but I'm a bit overwhelmed. I probably have less experience collecting than most of you do so this is a particularly sweet treasure chest as I am learning so much as I go. I went back to get the other Camillus Jumbo ... so that's a fave, but I've never owned (nor have seen) a Camillus with the sword logo before either. GAH! So much coolness ... so little time!

I never find any nice old knives at any pawn shops I go to. Just junk fantasy knives made of pot metal.

2dog, mate, as soon as I saw that middle knife-the Camillus yellow Jumbo Jack, that is one stunning knife, and yes lets learn more about it-if the lads above have provided more info I apologise as I havent yet had time to have a look at the links!, I really like the look of that knife!

Back