1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Trio of Capable Knives - MUCK, BushMaster & Bushcraft

Discussion in 'Koster Knives' started by Daniel Koster, May 5, 2012.

1. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
  2. creativeguy

creativeguy Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Looking to try that Bushmaster next!

3. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 19, 2007
    Who is making your sheaths for you Dan?

TF

4. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    These are by Butch Hagedorn - lives nearby.

Dan

5. Tooth & Nail

Tooth & Nail Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Dan, Any plans to offer the Bushmaster and / or the MUCK in stainless? I bought both knives in CPM3V when you first offered them because they are amazing designs (I really appreciate their weight compared to other, similar sized knives), but in the (wet) climate I live in stainless would be a nice option.

6. Skinny

Skinny

Jan 21, 2009
    Have you noticed any corrosion?

In my experience with 3V, it has been incredibly corrosion and stain resistant almost to the point of being stainless.

7. Tooth & Nail

Tooth & Nail Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Skinny - I haven't noticed any corrosion, but I am careful to wipe the knives down and keep them oiled. This is obviously a good practice regardless of the steel used, I'd just like to have the bit of extra protection stainless affords if I don't do my part.

8. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    3V really does do a good job of resisting rust. Even a little neglect usually only results in surface rust - easily removed with NevrDull or Flitz, etc.

I don't foresee using stainless on the MUCK, but perhaps a 19c27 version of the BushMaster...great suggestion.

9. mctrinket

mctrinket

Feb 26, 2012
    How does one order a MUCK? I want one!

10. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
  11. mctrinket

mctrinket

Feb 26, 2012
    Outstanding!

And what about the Bushmaster? Can I also email you about ordering one of those models?

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  12. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
  13. mctrinket

mctrinket

Feb 26, 2012
    Joined!

Thanks Dan.

14. Remo1

Remo1

Sep 17, 2010
    Love the looks of these and have recently become a 3V fan. I'm going for the Bushmaster for sure. The other two are tempting though.

Just joined the mailing list too. At least I think so - no confirmation yet.

15. discdoggin

discdoggin

Jun 6, 2010
    Likewise, subscribed!

16. Brummie

Brummie Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I have all three of these models. They are indeed very capable designs, and I love the handles. The only thing I would change is to skeletonize the handle on the Bushcraft, like the other two, as I feel that would improve the balance as well as shaving a little weight.

Hoping Dan will do another run of the WSS in 3V before too long, so I can complete the family.

17. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Brummie - which version do you have?

The latest version with 0.100" thick 12c27 stainless and palm-contoured handles really lightens up the whole package and improves the balance and overall feel.

Dan
    KosterKnives.com

18. Brummie

Brummie Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I have a flat ground Bushcraft in 3V, which I got directly from you in the first half of last year, I think. Certainly a lot thicker than 0.1" stock. Balance point is around the second finger, if I remember correctly.

By contrast, the Bushmaster feels very well balanced to me, despite the meaty handle. I really like it as an all-purpose outdoors knife.

19. arislan

arislan

Apr 26, 2011
    Dan are you taking orders for the stainless bushcraft? I'd like to get on the list if you are.

20. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001