1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Tru oil

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Walt2, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Walt2

Walt2

Mar 13, 2001
    Seems like I remember seeing a thread sometime ago about thinning Tru Oil with something. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks for any info.

2. fast14riot

fast14riot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Why are you looking to thin Tru-Oil? I have used it a bunch, and with various things added. What are you trying to do with the Tru-Oil, maybe I can steer you to the right instructions.

-Xander

3. Raymond Richard

Raymond Richard

Jun 17, 2001
    Thin the truoil with a small amount of kerosene.

4. Tom Lewis

Tom Lewis

Feb 24, 2000
    There was a thread where tru-oil was mixed with Armorall to make it dry faster. I tried it and decided to just use the tru-oil the way it came out of the bottle.

5. Walt2

Walt2

Mar 13, 2001
    Thanks for the answers. I have used Tru Oil for years on gun stocks and on a few knives. Seems like the thread I saw said something about better penetration when thinned. Just curious is all.

6. elementfe

elementfe

May 3, 2008
    Search for "Bruce Bump" and Tru-oil. He has his own way of working with it and you sure can't argue with the quality of his results!
    Here's Bruce :

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...uce-Bump-MS-Winding-Feather-Fighter-WIP/page2

I've been using it straight from the bottle, and I don't think I've got it quite dialed in yet, but am liking how 4-5 light coats rubbed in look and feel.
    I'm not using it on anything oily like Cocobolo or Ebony, seems to always come out sticky. Lots to learn.
    Andy

7. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    BB's comments on the short shelf life can be lengthened a bit by removing the airspace in the bottle, keep a handful of marbles handy and drop them into the bottle to take up some airspace.

I think I got that from Brownell's Kinks books.

You can also try thinning with Acetone instead of mineral spirits.
    I think it dries faster.

8. fast14riot

Oct 27, 2010
    I have used it a ton like I said before. I found that it is sensitive to relative humidity. Definitely like it dry, 50% RH or less. I like to apply the finish during a cooling period, in the evening as to reduce outgassing of the wood or air expanding and causing bubbles. If used straight, I like o apply the first coat with sandpaper, then wipe the excess off across the grain. I do use the armorall method frequently, but the final 2-3 coats without it to reduce the milky haze. Acetone works very well to thin it if covering checkering or details you don't want filled in with finish.

The marbles is a good tip, but I also store mine upside down to reduce the chance of air intruding into the bottle. If you try the armorall method, be sure to pour a small amount of oil into a seperate cup so you don't contaminate the bottle.

-Xander

9. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I've used True oil for quite a few projects. It worked particularly well on an MI Garand parts gun awhile back.

10. Walt2

Walt2

Mar 13, 2001
    Do any of you use a buff at all? I never have tried it.

11. fast14riot

Oct 27, 2010
    To polish it out? I almost always cut mine back with #0000 steel wool for a satin shine after a month or two of curing. But I have used a white compound on a soft cloth to see how it looked. Don't know if its the best method, but I still ended up cutting it back.

-Xander