1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.
  3. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Two chef's knives

Discussion in 'For Sale: Fixed Blades' started by Remyrw, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Remyrw

Remyrw

Jun 17, 2010
    First - In the interest of full disclosure, these blades are not made by me. They are industrially produced AUS8 blades. I have been using one for almost two years now and love it, I have no qualms about putting my name on the final product.

Blades are AUS8, 7 3/4" long, 12 1/4" overall length. They are 3/32" thick and slice beautifully.
    The handle of the first one is stabilized box elder with mosaic pins for $150. I have applied a high quality clear coat then lightly buffed it for additional protection in the kitchen.
    The second is black on black G10 with the same mosaic for $100.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Shaw Blades

Shaw Blades

May 18, 2009
    Very nice

3. Remyrw

Remyrw

Jun 17, 2010
    Thanks.

Personally I think they look a lot better than the images can show. The g10 has a really smooth sleek look to it and the pattern in the G10 makes it look almost like a carbon fiber. The photos all seemed to look more like a texture though. These are really the extras, I made three others by request and have two more to go from those orders once I get some more of the 3/16" mosaic I need. I figured if I was doing some I might as well do a few more to offer on the net. It's worth mentioning that four of the customer ordered knives were repeat customers for this product. Two were for gifts and the two were requesting a Santoku rather than a chef's blade this time so they had both options. The other is actually a bread knife using the same wood as his Santoku. That customer is doing a complete set of kitchen knives in pairs. His first two were a small cheese/utility knife I made from aldo's 1084 and put the dyed box elder on to match a chef's knife much like the first here. The second two are a Santoku and the bread knife with some madrone burl, but I'm waiting on mosaic for those.
    I'm not normally a fan of factory blades as a knifemaker, but I use one of these and one of the santokus pretty much every day, often several times a day, and have been very happy. With that experience I am confident in the complete package being of high quality and performing well.