1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Two man cross cut saw

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Don'tkillbill2.0, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Don'tkillbill2.0

Don'tkillbill2.0

Feb 5, 2012
    I thought people in this forum would appreciate the saw albeit it the size and only use being a long term camp. Still though a great tool and learning how it works helps one understand modern saws.

[video=youtube_share;-4oJ3u7HS5g]http://youtu.be/-4oJ3u7HS5g[/video]

2. fmajor007

fmajor007

Apr 1, 2010
    That's not something ya see everyday - very interesting. Thanks for posting it!

I've never used a saw like that, but even I can see how effective a tool like that would be (especially if a chainsaw wasn't available!).

3. neeman

neeman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Learnt to use them in Scouts (a long time ago)
    Great for team work

4. Don'tkillbill2.0

Don'tkillbill2.0

Feb 5, 2012
    Actually they are great becasue they cut fast with do so with much less noice than a chainsaw. In an hour 2 people can do a lot of work with out the need for hearing protections.

5. PB Wilson

PB Wilson

Jul 17, 2006
    When I was a kid we had a seven footer and it worked fantastically if you had two cooperative people. We processed a lot of firewood in a reasonable amount of time. Nothing like a chainsaw, but man it was a great experience for my teenage shoulders. The designers of some of these traditional tools really knew their stuff. Sawdust flew!

I imagined us making a pit like in the Eric Sloane books to rip some logs into boards. Probably way too challenging but I'm sure it was absolutely possible.

Thanks for sharing that video. Nicely done.

6. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    we used two man saws on the farm when I was a wee lad. I was not old enough, but my Uncles and Dad would make short work of a stack of logs.

7. Don'tkillbill2.0

Don'tkillbill2.0

Feb 5, 2012
    A well sharped saw with 2 experienced cutters is can make short work blocking fire wood not as fast as a chainsaw but still fast and a lot quieter.

8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I have a one man cross cut in my garage that is relatively new. I just can't bring myself to buy a chain saw to use twice a year for 30 minutes each.

Grew up with 2-man cross cut saws. Cut a lot of wood that way. You can still buy new ones at places like Forestry Suppliers and Ben Meadows. Something tells me that Forestry Suppliers may not be in business any more?? I buy various things from Ben Meadows from time to time.

9. Bo T

Bo T

Feb 12, 2011
    They both seem to be in business. A 5.5' 2-man cross cut looks to set you back about 3 Franklins by the time it's at your door.

10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    They are not cheap. I suspect they don't sell many except to hard core woodsman types and perhaps the preppers.

11. Don'tkillbill2.0

Don'tkillbill2.0

Feb 5, 2012
    3 bill US ouch! Still I'd like one someday albiet I'll get the jointer and raker to match.