1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

ultimate hard use / abuse knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Raphael.caluwe, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Raphael.caluwe

Raphael.caluwe Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2010
    So I am mostly into folders, and am a couple of knives away from having all I want (for the moment ;)). I am going to buy a spyderco military, a microtech utx-70(yes I found a dealer who still has some in stock!=D) and a spyderco dragonfly tattoo for my girlfriend. After that I will be looking for a really tough fixed blade, preferably quite large, approx 10inch+ overall. Not to edc, but really for hard use!

post suggestions please!

2. Raphael.caluwe

Sep 24, 2010
    ps, i dont want busse, cause i think they are ugly :p sorry for busse fans!

3. DCL Knives

DCL Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2012
    First thing everyone's going to ask you, how much do you want to spend and what type of abuse are you planning on putting it through. ;)

4. MT Knives Buyer

MT Knives Buyer Banned BANNED

Aug 7, 2012
    I didn't ask him any of that
    I am just giving him a direct answer
    UNLESS YOU WANT A FIXED BLADE FOLDER PLEASE IGNORE THE TITLE

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  5. MT Knives Buyer

MT Knives Buyer Banned BANNED

Aug 7, 2012
    Microtech Crosshairs are good
    Sorry I didn't realize it said FIXED

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  6. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Well...I'm confused.

Here's the fixed blade answers....Ontario Ranger, Kabar Becker, Bussekin, ....

7. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    you fail at life :grumpy: ;)

On a more serious note, WHICH busses do you think are ugly? They have essentially every single knife shape you could want in the 10" OAL department

INFI really is the "ultimate hard use knife" steel

If you don't want that, you're going to be looking at the 1095 CroVan from Becker, or a custom as a decent alternative.

*EDITED TO ADD

I had one of them... not a great knife for the price IMO. Edge holding was adequate, but the edge tended to chip rather than roll under abuse.

8. Maddogg774

Maddogg774

Sep 19, 2011
    Ontario Rtak 2, in 5160 if you can find it is you best bet. Questions: 1. What does looks have to do with it working great? 2. Do you think all Busses look the same?

9. RogueBowie

RogueBowie

Nov 16, 2011
    BK-2!!!

The blade after batonning through a POS China Folder:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stripped the paint and some sanding and brand new again:
    [​IMG]

As a bonus it is made in the USA and is very affordable, plus it is made out of 1095CV which is an awesome working steel, at least IMO.

10. Raphael.caluwe

Sep 24, 2010
    well, experience has learned me that when I like a knife the price really isnt really important, but to stay serious, I wont pay more than 500usd.
    Well, on the busse website they only show 2 models. the team gemini and the argone assault, wich I dont like.
    also, im quite confused mt knives buyer...

11. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Just get a Junglas.
    $200 or less, and it has a sheath.;)

Go out there and beat the hell out of it!

12. DCL Knives

DCL Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2012
    I would get a custom then, but that's just me:)

13. Maddogg774

Maddogg774

Sep 19, 2011
  14. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    For $500, then yes, that's what I'd do.

Big Chris on the forums here has been making huge choppers out of 3V that look good, will handle anything, and cost less than $500.:)

15. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    Basic 7

[​IMG]

Badger Attack

[​IMG]

SAR 6

[​IMG]

Satin Jack

[​IMG]

Ash 1 LE

[​IMG]

Euro 4

[​IMG]

TGLB ( This is MY go to survival knife)

[​IMG]

Do you think those are ALL ugly?

16. zuluninja

zuluninja boricua grinder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 25, 2009
    a machete? they have been "hard use" forever...

17. Raphael.caluwe

Sep 24, 2010
    no, looks dont have anything to do with performance, but I want a knife that I like to handle, and looks play a part in the pleasure of handling for me
    the scrapyards seem really nice
    anyone got experience with esee ?

18. keatonirizarry

keatonirizarry

Mar 31, 2011
    Check out strider's fixed blades. I don't own any strider fixed blades but I would imagine that they are very strong based on the materials and blade thickness. Having held one before.

19. HuntBomb

HuntBomb

Sep 18, 2009
    Busse, whether you think it's ugly or not. And there is plenty of variety on the Busse FS subforum.
    Scrapyard (Busse kin) also has great offerings at the moment. Numerous blade lengths at good prices and they take a beating.