1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Umnumzaan love. Strange......

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by miso2, May 15, 2017.

1. miso2

miso2 Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I know that I like thin blade slicers. I know that I like front flipper or spyder hole for deployment. My current favorites are Spydiechef and Boker Exskelibur I. But why do I come back to Umnumzaan and fiddle with it constantly? I really don’t understand this attachment to the knife. Do you guys have similar feelings toward Umnumzaan?

Miso

2. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    The Umnumzaan has long been one of my favorite knives.

3. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    Thanks for the comment, Officer's Match.
    Let me ask if it is your favorite knife against your preference in terms of function/design/etc. I don't like Umnumzaan on paper (too thick and non front-flipper/spyder-hole) but love it in hand somehow.
    I am just wondering if anyone else have similar feelings like this......

Miso

4. Officer's Match

Jan 23, 2013
    I absolutely love the opening method for the Zaan, and it has cause me to open a lot of other knives that "straight forward" way. I love the feel in hand, even though I often don't prefer the straight line configuration in other knives (I find a Hinderer XM, an Olamic 247, Benchmade AFCK, Emerson Commander, etc appealing in their curved grip-to-blade shape). I love the simple, almost industrial construction appealing, and love the way the blade tang is basically flush with the titanium where my index finger curls under the knife in a normal grip. I guess in many ways, I identify with your quandary about the Boss's allure.

5. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    @Officer's Match
    I read that you really like your Umnumzaan from head to toe :)

I thought that I had done with Umnumzaan when I got Exskelibur I and Spydiechef. The latter two seem designed better for function than Umnumzaan and deliver. But I come back to Umnumzaan often. I guess I am trying to reason it and to find out what I really want to have in the future.

Miso

6. Officer's Match

Jan 23, 2013
    I guess the Umnumzaan just has its own personality, its own style. It looks like nothing else, and vice versa. And that blade grind, I find it just beautiful.

7. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Damn I HAVE to get the Excalibur framelock and an Umnumzaan. So much desire! God is gunna punish me.

8. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    @Officer's Match

Right. I agree to some extent.

Even though I HATE thick blades, I admit that the hollow grind of Umnumzaan is pretty thin to compensate for the thickness (it seems actually better than small Sebenza). I also admit that Umnumzaan is quite unique in design for the hawk absorption system and the ceramic ball detent/lock face. The sound and feeling opening is somewhat addictive. And at last but not the least, I admit that it is just beautiful, particularly for the blade finish.

What I am puzzled is, if I like Umnumzaan, what my grail can be. I thought a front flipper with a thin blade and deep grind should be, but I could be wrong.

This hobby is really a deep hole……

Miso

Officer's Match likes this.
  9. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
  10. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    In your opinion is it better to get the Excalibur framelock or the Feist? I was going to get the Umnumzaan but my local store sold out before I saved up the money. So far I got 2 sebbies large and small and an Inkosi large.

11. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    Can’t answer your question. I don’t own a Feist nor a Kizer knife yet.

What I can tell is about Exskelibur only. It is designed great to be a slicer. The cons are: (1) the scales are flimsy so as the lock bar, (2) the lock is not engaged very deep for hard uses, and (3) the fit and finish of the manufacture are very variable, some are excellent and some are mediocre (could be worse).

The bottom line is, if you want a ultimate slicer of titanium frame lock kind, your would not regret having a Exskelibur. Feist should be nice, but the blade of Exskelibur should be better for slicing at least on paper.

Miso

12. Judge Luco

Judge Luco Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2011
    I got one about two years ago. I traded it and went down the trading path
    Xm-18
    TAD Mk3
    Sebenza 25
    Etc. I just wasn't satisfied and I kept kicking myself for trading the zaan. My soon to be wife surprised me with a zaan for my birthday and even had it engraved for me. Now, I just don't have any real interest in another folder. A strange feeling for me. It's simple, tough no nonsense design and it just feels good in hand. It's tackled anything and everything I've thrown at it. From cutting steak to cutting hose off an engin.

[​IMG]

miso2 and Officer's Match like this.
  13. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    @Judge Luco

Thank you for sharing your story. What you have is truly a special Umnumzaan for sure.
    I would like to ask you why you feel "strange" for Umnuzaan after having other high-end folders.

Miso

14. Judge Luco

Judge Luco Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2011
    For a long time I hopped from one folder to the next chasing that "perfect" knife and now I just have no interest in the chase anymore. Every one I look at, it's just not my zaan. :p

15. firedude

firedude Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2017
    My favorite. I currently have a Inkosi and three 25's. Have had a 21 also. Umnumzaan by far my favorite.

16. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    I kinda like them myself

[​IMG]

17. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    My goodness! Old to new from the top?

Miso

18. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    @Judge Luco
    You scare me. I am waiting for my putative "perfect" custom knife and hoping that it is it.

Miso

Judge Luco likes this.
  19. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    @firedude
    I am actually considering to buy a large Sebenza 21 because I somehow love Umnumzaan. Sebenza has a thinner blade and may arouse me like Umnumzaan. One thing making me on hold is that I was not that impressed by a small Sebenza. It is a great knife, but does not seduce me like Umnumzaan. You seem to let yours go. May I ask why?

Miso

20. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    I guess that works..it was unintentional..Top being 2008 and bottom 2012.
    There has been one more added since I took this pic.