1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

V8 rat trike from hell

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by tyr_shadowblade, Mar 10, 2009.

1. tyr_shadowblade

tyr_shadowblade

Jan 3, 2006
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my motorcycle.

It has an Oldsmobile 307 mill with a Rochester Quadrajet and straight pipes that I spot welded some baffles in to make it closer to street legal.

It has an automatic transmission and burns rubber in the first 2 gears.

Goes from 0-60 in about 5 seconds. No front brake. No windscreen. No helmet either.

Trike is insane. I will probably die on it later this year.

2. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    that is pretty insane but I like it.

3. Cougar Allen

Cougar Allen Buccaneer (ret.) Platinum Member

Oct 9, 1998
    Um ... how about wearing a helmet and only getting grieviously messed up later this year? Your head is an important part of your body, and we'd miss you here at Bladeforums (Besides, there aren't any headless Aesir. What would you use for a username?).... Also, how about dual front discs? Tell yourself they're only to look cool ... not that it isn't an awesome ride already, just that it could be even more awesome with dual discs....

4. SIFU1A

SIFU1A

May 12, 2001
    looks like it could fun lol, suggestion to add front brake is a good one, brakes are never a bad thing, and do be carefull i have lost 2 buds thru the yrs, both were wearing helmets too.

5. gajinoz

gajinoz

Sep 2, 2003
    Feh, brakes, pttthhhhht, bunch of pussies.

Live fast, die young.

Ummm.. since I'm now approaching "old" there is no need for me to die, so I'll pass on any offers of a ride ....

Interesting vehicle.

6. mack_t_knife

mack_t_knife

Oct 5, 2006
    It is not likely to get air borne.

Where's the pintle mount for the machine gun?

7. xbxb

xbxb Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2005
    How does the front wheel stay on the ground?

8. De4thStr1ke

De4thStr1ke

Oct 20, 2008
    Same here, that thing looks fun! :thumbup:

9. mwerner

mwerner

Apr 23, 2002
    Years ago, when I used to read motorcycle magazines, they had an article on someone who'd put an Allison aircraft engine in a trike frame....
    That's some serious horsepower.

10. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    Looks like a fun ride. How easy is it to register something like that?

11. 555

555 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2007
    So this is what you've been working on that I've been reading about. Cool.

And just in time for Summer. :) :cool:

BTW Congratulations on your 5,000 posts on the Blade Forums. :cool:

12. Bushman5

Bushman5

Oct 31, 2007
    needs a side seat for a machine gunner

13. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    Nice work. Yes, you're nuts. Most geniuses are. (Compliment only if you built this thing.) ;)

Was that a front-wheel drive conversion? How did you create the driveline, if not?

Coop

14. tyr_shadowblade

tyr_shadowblade

Jan 3, 2006
    The original builder is Perry Estel from Greeley. Trike was built in 2005 for his personal use, but his wife didn't like it. Titling a homebuilt trike varies from state to state. CO only requires a safety inspection from the state police. Headlight, taillight, mirror, and horn make it street legal here.

Trike was in sorry shape when I got it. Needed fork seals, wheel bearings, a few bolts, battery, master cylinder, tires, belts, hoses, fluids, filters, etc. Removed some weird luggage rack thing that I think he made while intoxicated, the long stem chrome mirrors, and a scratched up windscreen that would go opaque in direct sunlight. Removed a bit of surface rust as well. Tires were BAD -- every time I peeled out pieces would fly off.

Mill is from an '82 or '83 Toronado that he chopped off, leaving the subframe intact. The FWD steering linkage is bolted down tight. Front end is from a '75 or '76 CB750 he found in a junkyard and welded on as is. Just had it professionally rebuilt. Several loose spokes, shredded rim liner, tube about to blow, corroded bearings and blown seals all fixed. Put on some kewl vintage boots as well. Rear wheels from an Iroc Z. Holley air filter.

Next year, if I still have a job, I plan on swapping the front end for a 41mm wide glide (with dual discs) and having the engine rebuilt.

Frame is SOLID and engine is directly over the rear wheels (unlike a VW) so the front end doesn't get too light. Rear suspension is outstanding -- I've taken 90 degree corners at about 40 mph and I have yet to lift one of the rear wheels off the ground.

15. citizensoldierNY

citizensoldierNY

Feb 21, 2008
    Needs more chrome;) Just pulling your leg, considering most people just fabricate Harley clones or mod existing models it is always nice to see something new, especially when it looks good. As for the helmet, don't sweat it , they only mess up your hair:D

16. xdshooter

xdshooter

Apr 18, 2007
    Have you considered replacing the 307 with something larger? For the price of a 307 rebuild, you could go a long way toward 400 cubic inches!

17. tyr_shadowblade

tyr_shadowblade

Jan 3, 2006
    Small block is the way to go on a project like this. Ports on a Olds 307 are tiny -- a Mopar or Chevy would've been my choice. Petrol capacity is only 12 gallons. 400 ci w/ dual 4 barrels would drink that up quick. This is a long distance cruiser that can be called upon to drag race if required. Waiting on the saddlebags -- a pair of surplus jumbo black mechanic bags to be affixed to either side of the seat with black zip ties.

18. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    Thanks for the details. Smart conversion using parts from the dregs of GM's worst era: Early 80's. (This car was a POS when new.)

I knew by looking at the front end before your post where he got it. I was right, too. :)

Finding bolt-on front brake parts for that would NOT be hard. Don't wait.

Be safe. Kinda.... ;)

Coop

19. xdshooter

xdshooter

Apr 18, 2007
    Well, your transaxle has the BOP (buick, olds, pontiac) bellhousing pattern. I'd bet someone makes an adapter plate for a chevy, I don't think a mopar would fit. I was thinking a big inch small block, not a big block. With a large inch small block and a single vac secondary 4 barrel, you could still get decent milage (until you get your foot into it!) Also, crates engines these days often come with aluminum heads, intake, and water pump. That could take some serious pounds off the rear end of that thing.

Also, we are ready for some action shots. Tire burning that is.

20. type00rev

type00rev

Sep 29, 2008
    That looks like a helluva ride!! I'm diggin' the semi old-school Camaro wheels!! How much does it weigh and how much HP is it putting out?

Kinda reminds me of this:
    [youtube]1EgltE06tXo[/youtube]