1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

vintage camp knife

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by freddy1, Feb 13, 2010.

1. freddy1

freddy1

Jan 27, 2005
    i recently baught a kindda "old style" camp knife, hand made (not my hands:D).
    I post it cause i am quite happy with it.
    I put it closed to a john Greco Bowie, in order to give you an idea of it size.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the specs
    "Hand forged med. drop point camp knife, med. brown curly maple, 4 brass pins
    Blade size about-7 1/4" (18.4 cm)
    handle size about-4 3/4" (12 cm)
    width-1 7/16" (3.7 cm)
    thickness-3/16" (0.5 cm)
    1075 high carbon steel (oil tempered)
    58-59 HRC"

I test it few second outside, it works quite well :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so basicaly, for it price, i am more than pleased with it.
    After batoning a bit with it, it shows some marks but remains sharp, so i think the temper is well done.
    May-be i will order another one (smaller). Onlt problem is that it comes without shealth, i'll have to find a solution if i want to go in the wood with it.

2. sidecutter

sidecutter

Nov 28, 2008
    hmmm... looks a great kitchen knife too. :thumbup:

3. freddy1

freddy1

Jan 27, 2005
    honestly, i don't think so.
    You need a thiner blade in kitchen.
    I have two japanese custom knives perfect for the kitchen !:D

4. the lone gunman

the lone gunman Basic Member Basic Member

May 29, 2008
    Thats nice. bout the right size for camp duties, I think.

5. D lisch

D lisch KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 27, 2007
    When I think camp knife I think of a knife that can cut lunch meat cut the heads off my fish dig a hole for my fishing pole sharpen a stick for making shmores . chop up the vegetables for my fish head stew. and finish up with a game of mumblely beg. I think that knife would do all that very well.

6. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Nice looking design. I find my self more and more drawn to older simple designs.