Vintage lobsters let's show'em

I guess one of my interests in these wonderful old lobsters in that very few companies (except custom makers) produce these anymore. I'm really pleased to see the contributions from other members to this thread. Some of them are stunning works of craftsmanship. Let's keep them coming.

Here is a KEEN KUTTER THIS ONE HAS 3 BLADES WHICH ARE A SCISSOR,A BLADE WHICH IS ETCHED "KEEN KUTTER" AND MEASURES 1 3/4 LONG NEVER SHARPENED AND A FILE BLADE. MILLED NICKEL SILVER LINERS AND MEASURES APPROX. 3" LONG. CHARLES
View attachment 260520View attachment 260521View attachment 260522View attachment 260523View attachment 260524

Beautiful knives Mick and chuko. Here's another sleeveboard. Just marked Sheffield England, it is a high quality knife nonetheless. I think it dates to the early 1900s.
12-04-08014-3.jpg

That little blade on the bottom/right is so cool!

Any idea what its intended purpose was? Looks like a cross between a miniature scalpel and a tiny corn knife. I love it! :cool:

attachment.php

Rick: I thought it was a cuticle knife (?).

Here is a HUMPHREY GRAHAM & CO. SHEFFIELD LOBSTER ca. 1900. The knife measures 3". The pearl scales are beautiful. Shield and pins are nickel silver with milled brass liners. Check out those stove pipe (?) kicks on the blades.

View attachment 260836View attachment 260837

Last edited:
Charles, Great thread. I love lobsters, so many different patterns. Here's an odd ball pattern, although it's damaged I feel it's interesting enough for this thread. It's marked Hibbard Spencer Bartlet & Co. I'm guessing it was made by New York Knife Co. Barry
OVB%20FT.jpg
OVB%20BK.jpg
OVB%20BKSG%20OPN.jpg
OVB%20CLOSED.jpg
OVB%20FUNNY%20LOB%20CUT.jpg

Barry: That one is cool! I collect NYK and have come across some interesting patterns, but that one takes the cake. Thanks very much for showing.

I agree there many interesting patterns of lobsters and they are such quality craftsmanship. Here is a small (2 1/4") sleeveboard by New York Knife. Charles

View attachment 260863View attachment 260864

The little blade that looks like a cross between a scalpel and a corn knife is a scraper that removes the thin curtain of cuticle at the base of the nail. The material removed is usually seperate from the cuticle itself. I have lobster that has a cuticle pusher and a cuticle nipper. The nipper is a curved jaw flush cutter. If I figure out how to post pictures, I will post it.

Here's a quick pic of some I have, I'll put the specs in later, the Pearl Lobster actually is so old it has an ear pick for cleanin' your ears out.

069-1.jpg

Some interesting lobsters there. I look forward to your detailed descriptions.

Here is another sleeveboard with multiple tools. This one is a R.Klass 'Kissing Cranes.' 3" closed five blade sleeveboard lobster, in excellent condition.* Milled brass liners with scissors. Charles
View attachment 261103View attachment 261104

Also featuring multiple tools, this ivory-scaled lobster is marked "Sheffield Made" and "R. Routledge Birmingham". Richard Routledge, 64 Bull St. was a late 19th-early 20th Century merchant; maker unknown.

Attachments

• Routledge lobster.jpg
    Routledge lobster.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 21
Here is another pearl multitool sleeveboard lobster. GEORGE WOSTENHOLM I*XL SHEFFIELD PEARL SPORTSMAN GUNSTOCK LOBSTER PATTERN, milled nickel silver liners. The button hook dates it to 1920's or before. A pin crack on the reverse side. Charles

View attachment 261211View attachment 261212

Back