W.R. Case & Tony Bose Collaboration 2009 - Norfolk Wharncliffe

OK, now to siphon off my kid's lunch money again. 2 of them could stand to lose a little weight. Just tryin to be a good dad and all.:D

That's a great idea! I'll just snag my daughter's lunch money as part of the savings plan, lol.

Seriously, that's a gorgeous knife & would make a great partner to my C/B collab. Dogleg Jack in antique bone also. The F&F on these knives is incredible in that they're production pieces. They're limited, I know, & I believe with a smaller group actually making them, but still amazing that it's a Case.

I haven't handled all of the collabs, but of them, the one I have, the Trapper, & now this one...Love the design.

Wow, Tony and Case really did this one right. I am really glad to see that we still have craftsmen at Case who can deliver a production or "mid tech" knife at this kind of quality and price. This is really impressive. My only reservation about knife is that the stock scales don't do this knife justice.

Btw how much doe this knife weigh?

God Bless

Great post, Rick, thanks. I know a lot of us were waiting for a review and some eye candy like that for this knife. I sure was.

I agree, this is the best one of all the Collaboration Knives
Here is a scan of the two bones, both are nice.. though I wish the jigging was different to set them apart.

67749-Norfolk-Antique%26ChestnutBone.jpg

Nice pic, JpN. I'm sure many here will find it useful to see both bone colors side-by-side.

Kidwholaughs - Case lists the weight at 2.2 ounces, but mine weighs a feathery 2.06 ounces; a little less than the case swayback jack, which surprised me, especially since the latter looks and feels kinda like a toy compared to the far more robust and sturdy Norfolk.

Speaking of the swayback wharnie, here're a few comparison shots, since the SB is so well known and loved around these parts. You can clearly see the shared T. Bose pedigree:

Wharnies002.jpg

Wharnies012.jpg

Wharnies016.jpg

As you can see, the blade-to-handle length ratio of the Norfolk is better than many congress knives, though not by much, but the ergos and leverage are excellent. I particularly like the feel of that deep, swoopy 'S'-shaped curve across the main blade and handle spines, which coupled with the nice handle taper gives you scalpel-like control over that fine Wharncliffe point.

Last edited:
Rick,Thanks for this thread with the great pics
Obviously here,an outstanding pocket knife.:thumbup:-Vince

Thankee kindly, Vince. :)

I dunno if this pic-heavy thread can hold any more without bursting at the seams, but what the hell...

For those who plan to EDC their Norfolk but don't like fishing for a horizontally floundering slippie amid the usual accumulation of spare change and lint that inhabit the average pocket, there's good news! :cool: William Henry's 'medium' clipcase fits this knife to a tee. Looky here:

Clipcase02.jpg

Clipcase01.jpg

These things are perfect for keeping your knife clean and instantly accessible at the top of your pocket.

Thanks for the review and the great pics. I'm in line for one in Ebony and I'm starting to fidget!

Man this knife is too beautiful.

Rick-- thanks for the info. I guess it's that extra spring on the SBJ that made the weight difference.

Don't stop posting pic as you are led by the Spirit hehe

God Bless

These further pictures are driving me further into the abyss....

I might have to take to prostitution in order to raise the cash, er..that won't work either!

All I can say is WOW!

I have never liked buying any knife without seeing it first. I know a good dealer will always take back the knife if you don't like, but thats not the point....It's that you want a good knife...or in this case good looking Pearl.

I have been fortunate enough to be exposed to good pearl and the pearl that looks like it's a bar of soap.

When I ordered this knife, and up to today, when I received this knife, I kinda had that..."I hope its nice" feeling,

...So when I opened the box I sort of squinted my eyes. To my absolute pleasure I was completely blown away by the pearl scales on this Norfolk...I can truly say this scan does not do it justice.

WR Case really got a hold of some premium pearl for this knife....mark & pile both are superb. Thank You Case for doing such a top notch job on these.

67916-PearlNorfolk.jpg

Congratulations - that pearl is gorgeous. I'm a little surprised that Case got a hold of such AAA-quality stuff. :thumbup:

Is it the scan, or does that pen blade have a keener point than my bone-handled version?

On paper I prefer polished blades as I feel that polishing is an extra step and is an indicator of quality. Seeing the Norfolk side by side with the standard swayback has forced me to reevaluate my assumptions however. The Norfolk is just gorgeous. Although it is not polished, it is obvious that it is of higher quality as the lines are crisper.

Most of the photos seem to exaggerate the impression of a somewhat coarse "as-ground" finish for some reason. Actually, the Norfolk blades are beautifully polished; it's just a deep, glowing brushed satin with a lot of "movement" as it hits the light, rather than a comparatively two-dimensional tumbled or buffed mirror finish.

This pic hints at it, but you have to see it in person to appreciate it.

Norfolk03.jpg

Last edited:
JpN,

That pearl is outstanding for Case and those bolsters are begging to be polished and scrolled.

Doe a special group at Case make the TonyBose collaborations? The quality is almost too superb for production knives.

God Bless

I'm carrying this one today. I got it from Bluegrass Mountain Knives and they still had Antique Bone, Chestnut Bone, and MoP.

casebose-norfolk-1.jpg

casebose-norfolk-2.jpg

casebose-norfolk-3.jpg

casebose-norfolk-4.jpg

Back