1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Waiting for Knives ordered MONTHS ago is killing me!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Bolt, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Bolt

Bolt

Aug 28, 2007
    As much as I hate to admit it, I think I am starting to like the idea that Thomas over at Kershaw is now adopting. When you get to see a new knife from them, it will be in the shipping stage. I am beyond sick of the extremely long waits for knives that are released to the public at Shot Shows/Blade Shows. You place a pre-order, and then you just sit around and hope for months. Then, you see some people begin to get them, yet it still seems as if it will be more months of waiting after you talk with your dealer. Am I alone on this? Being a knife nut, I think I would rather not have the carrot dangled out infront of me any longer. I am waiting for the Becker Machax, which seems like it will never actually happen, the Spyderco Techno, the ZT561, and the Kershaw Cryo. WHEN, WHEN, WHEN, WHEN. Sorry for venting.

2. SpookyDriver

SpookyDriver

Dec 10, 2010
    Wait 5.5 years for a custom 1911 and the few months you wait for a production knife will seem like nothing. :)

Patience is a virtue, after all.

3. CWL

CWL

Sep 15, 2002
    I suggest that you never order a Randall Made knife then.

4. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm on Reese Bose's list...I think I have 4 more years to wait. :)

5. brewcitymike

brewcitymike

Aug 26, 2011
    Yeah, Bo will probably be dead long before most of their current orders are even started-knock on wood though. A Randall truly is a knife of knives but two or so years is too much for me to ever commit to. And I'm just kidding about bo as I highly doubt he still works in the shop making the knives.
    But I will never wait like that for any production knife. If its gonna take more than a week or two to get to me after payment is received then it better be a custom piece. I know how you feel though as I am super impatient too. I'm the guy that would rather pay more to get it sooner and even waiting more than a month or two for customs drives me insane,lol

6. Huntsman Knife Co.

Huntsman Knife Co. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 10, 2010
    I just try to forget that I ordered it and then it feels like Christmas when its time to pay and you get the package.

7. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    ^ this is what i do.

i have two knives on order right now that should ship between april and june (hopefully). i try to keep them off my radar so it's a "surprise" when they arrive.

8. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    I think a lot of people have no idea what patience really entails. I'd rather wait as long as it takes for a knife to be delivered, than a piece of junk in a hurry. There is no way that the manufacturers can win with a crowd like this. They complain about fit and finish when they try and push a knife out quickly, then they get blasted when it takes forever to get a knife out. Can't win for losing, especially with the "I want it now!" generation. I find it silly.

9. jossta

jossta Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2006
    I ordered a DB Fraley this year. Delivery time is 10/2018. Kershaw ZT waits aren't too bad compared to custom wait times.

10. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    you hit the nail on the head. i rather wait a little longer than have to correct a F&F issue or send a knife back for warranty. plus, probably everyone on here has more knives then they actually "need", it's not like we're stranded without cutting tools.

11. peso_de_fuego

peso_de_fuego

Apr 24, 2011
    Pre-ordered a Spyderco M390 Military and ZT 0777 sometime in September. Site said Military would ship April 2012 and to my surprise I got it a few weeks ago :D Best surprise ever! Wish the same would happen for the 0777. I've read on BF that the 0777 has gone through different steel changes for its composite blade, one being M390, which got me supper stoked, but after the guys at ZT worked with it, it wasn't up to their standards, looked horrible, so it was nixed :( In short I'm glad they're going through the motions before sending out a half-assed product. Even though, I wish I had it already I don't mind waiting just a little bit longer for the best.

12. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    +1 Preach it Jm! :)
    I didn't even cover the poor store owners that get slammed because " horrible customer service because my blade was ground .000001" too much on one side!".
    Oh the humanity.

13. Magnaminous_G

Magnaminous_G

Jul 13, 2011
    Heh, I'm on a two year wait list for a Rod Garcia knife. What I don't understand is the folks who wait 10 years for a Ray Mears bushcrafter and pay $900. When Rod finally calls me, I hope I remember my order...

14. Shawn7656

Shawn7656

Feb 15, 2012
    Man I never thought of having to wait YEARS for knives.... I had to wait two months to get my BM 42 and I died a little inside waiting for it :(
    (Though I wasn't told it was on backorder until AFTER I ordered it)

15. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    lol :)

16. Final Option

Final Option Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2012
    To BrewCityMike I met Bo Randall in July 1989 and bought a Trapper off him in the shop. He passed away December 1989. I'm still in contact with his son Gary. The wait is over 4 years and only one knife per family every 3 months.

17. Bolt

Bolt

Aug 28, 2007
    I get waiting for customs, but it is the production knives that present a knife at a show, and then it is over a year for it to see production phase, then pre-order happens, and the months upon months of waiting to get it. I guess in all honesty the Machax is fueling most of this because I have a large tree to cut down, and I would love to have it for limbing the thing once I drop it. But I think the tree will be down and cut up before the Machax will ever get here. I am not really a have it now person, as I have plenty of cutting tools. I simply find it frustrating when you are presented with a new knife, and it could fit a need in your system of use, but getting your hands on the items takes forever. Again, I see waiting for custom pieces, but production pieces should be released to the public when they are available for purchase. Just my 2 cents.

18. dark impaler

dark impaler Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2011
    also waiting on the techno...when, oh when, oh when...lol

19. T.K.C.

T.K.C.

May 7, 2005
    I have waited 4-5 years for a custom knife. Months? Pfffffft.

20. Big Mike

Big Mike

Aug 30, 2006

:yawn:

I suggest you stop pre-ordering and buy knives that are available.

Big Mike