1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Warenski Integral Mughal Khanjar Dagger & Sheath (Circa 2001)

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by betzner, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. betzner

betzner Home ToMorro Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Not many Warenski integrals around. Buster did only a few, during the period 2000 t0 2002. A pretty cool one, IMHO.

As I understand the story, Buster was going to make two of this type dagger, but never finished the second one.
    A hair under 12" overall, blade (handrubbed satin finish) a tiny bit under 7", handle (beadblasted) and blade from one of block of 440-C.

Better images will come later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  2. Marcel54

Marcel54

Jul 30, 2005
    Being all steel it is quite different from his other more embellished knives, but I really like it. That's because the shapes and curves really appeal to me, as is the difference between polished and matte!! Very understated.

Bob, is it yours?? if so great catch!!

Marcel

3. betzner

Jan 23, 2007
    Incidentally, the above post included the same image twice, which I've now corrected - so as to show both sides. Marcel, yes, it is.

Bob

4. J.Manuel

J.Manuel

Feb 24, 2012
    Very unusual Bob , nice -

5. Kohai999

Kohai999 Second Degree Cutter Platinum Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Heck, Bob...you keep going the way you are, you'll be the nicest dressed homeless living-out-of-his car person that I have ever known....with an amazing knife collection.:D

Beautiful knife, awesome execution.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

6. betzner

Jan 23, 2007
    Yeah, STeven, picture in your mind - me walking down the street, "flashing" my coat, but with Warenskis affixed into the side pockets.:D:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  7. peterinct

peterinct

Dec 13, 1999
    NICE acquisition Bob! Something VERY different but also very elegant. Would never have thought of Buster without knowing he made it.

Peter

8. Doug C

Doug C

Mar 15, 2005
    Magnificent piece, just amazing !
    Congrats, Bob !

Doug

9. Kevin Cross

Kevin Cross KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 13, 2006
    Now that is a very interesting Warinski. Certainly a nice addition to your collection, Bob.

10. Joss

Joss Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Awesome. If I'm not mistaken, Buster Warenski did at least 3 khanjars. There's this one, the one in David Darom's book, and then he was commissioned once to re-handle a real khanjar blade.

Nice pick up. ;)

11. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    anything with 'Warenski' on it always gets my respect and admiration, but this one is beyond the beyond.

My personal feeling is that this is one of his best. Keepin in mind that I've handled only one Warenski ever, (which I consider personally to be his best);
    [​IMG]

12. Joss

Joss Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 20, 2001
    That's the one. I don't know if he re-handled the blade or re-bladed the handle. In any case, it is stunning. The handle is typical of mughal work. They didn't go for sublety.

13. Mike Quesenberry

Mike Quesenberry

Jun 2, 2009
    The curves and contrasting textures are beautifully done. What an amazing piece.

14. David Sharp

David Sharp

May 23, 2008
    The way my tastes run I must say that is the most beautiful Warenski I have ever seen.

15. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    So cool. Thanks for sharing.

16. ddd

ddd KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 6, 2003
    Bob, "pretty cool" is an understatement... :)
    What a beautiful and completely different art knife relative to what
    can be seen on the Forum!

Julie did the handle and inlays, Buster ground the blade...
    This was one of Buster’s favorite pieces, it was created as a result of his long term
    interactions with Dr. Larry Marton, friend and collector, including the study of many
    antique Jambiyas. With this piece, Buster probably surpassed the ancient masters.
    Overall length 15 3/16” (386 mm)

All the best,
    David Darom (ddd)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  17. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Another superlative piece my friend......absolutely stunning. :)

18. Ellis

Ellis Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 16, 1998
    very interesting piece Bob, thanks for sharing
    Dave

19. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    He kept the elements simple, however, the artistry is commandingly complex.

[​IMG]

Bob has asked me if I'd spend some time capturing this one. Sometime in the near future. (It may take MUCH longer to finish than he's aware. LOL! ;))

Magnificent focus of your collection, Bob. Thanks for the post.

Coop

20. Patrick M.

Patrick M.

Oct 31, 2005
    What a collection indeed ! I never heard of this one, though I focus only on integrals and saw quite a few. Thanks for showing. And I can't wait to see it shooted by Coop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.