1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Warenski Lapis Dagger

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by betzner, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. betzner

betzner Home ToMorro Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    This one found it's way to me serendipitously. It's quite a unique Warenski dagger in that it is one of those most superb pieces, but without any embellishment - a REAL rarity. I marvel at the tulip guards, the quiet beauty of the deep color - it's just a wonderful piece, totally pure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. peterinct

peterinct

Dec 13, 1999
    ABSOLUTELY stunning Bob! As much as I love engraving, that knife doesn't need any. That lapis is as good as it gets, and the fluting, gold wire are perfect embellishment.

The blued guard looks great with the gold inlay.

CONGRATS!!

Peter

3. Mike Quesenberry

Mike Quesenberry

Jun 2, 2009
    Breathtaking Simplicity. I never get tired of viewing his daggers. Thanks for showing it Bob.

4. Charlie Choil

Charlie Choil

Jun 25, 2012
    Beautiful dagger! Congrats and thanks for the pics.

5. sparrow75

sparrow75

Mar 22, 2009
    Beautiful.. combination of colors are giving a noble appearance to the knife

6. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    That's magnificent.....congratulations on another spectacular find. :)

7. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Man your knocking um back :)

Some pieces don't need engraving

Congrats

8. JulianHayes

JulianHayes

Mar 17, 2012
    That is one beautiful dagger sir! love the guards.. Ever since I saw the Warenski Nunchaku set and dagger in one the knife mags last year, I have loved his designs. He accomplishes art knife beauty with simple, but exquisitely tasteful designs and execution. Indeed, no need for engraving on that one, a beauty indeed!

9. betzner

Jan 23, 2007
    Julian, if you wish to learn a bit more about some very representative Warenskis, here's some suggested reading:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Tut-quot-quot-San-Fran-quot-quot-Jambiya-quot

10. JulianHayes

JulianHayes

Mar 17, 2012
    Thanks betzner! love the sharing of info here, he did some really amazing art. I am going to have to show these threads to my family members who don't see knives as art, yeah they are crazy. Any of his blades makes it pretty clear! btw, that Khukri with the clamshell guard (I hope I am using the right terms, not really a d guard though) is unlike anything I have seen. Thanks, this is bringing my appreciation of blades to a new level.. again..

11. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    In a past life I was a DJ. I would often get B sides of popular (dance) songs, which were instrumentals; vocals removed.

I learned to understand the music compositions clearer, and liked some of them more than the vocal version. Less is more. We have a direct analogy going on here....

Ask any photographer what's the hardest to capture, and you ought to get the same answer: Blued polished steel. 91 images honed down to these three.

Worth the effort. This is a grail.

Thanks Bob!

Coop

12. Joss

Joss Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Love the handle, in particular. I'm partial to lapis - really a unique stone.

13. David Sharp

David Sharp

May 23, 2008

Couldn't agree more; what a beauty!

14. B . Buxton

B . Buxton

Jul 8, 2001
    Very Very Very nice,

Bill

15. Marcel54

Marcel54

Jul 30, 2005
    Bob, you did really good with this one. I love lapis, it is one of my favourite stones and that blued steel is great looking too.

Marcel

16. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    Super elegant. It's now one of my favorite Warenskis, and I'm glad it didn't get engraved.

17. Kohai999

Kohai999 Second Degree Cutter Platinum Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Superb, Bob.

You have been getting some supremely fine blades lately, to embellish upon an already fine collection of blades.

You deserve this.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

18. The Virginian

The Virginian Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Coop's images really punched it up to show how nice this knife is. The pics they had at the Arizona site when they were selling it really did not flatter it IMO. They seemed out of focus. And that white background . . . :confused:

The blued fittings really make a nice contrast with the lapis lazuli.

Good eye and a nice acquisition - especially if you got it at that price, or even less.

19. betzner

Jan 23, 2007
    Hey there, STeven,

This one was just pure luck. As alluded to above by someone, I found it just as it listed on a website that I almost never visit. Absolute serendipity. But I'll take ones like this any way they come at me. Same thing happened with a Loveless Archer chute I recently acquired. In the right place at the right time. I'll take luck over brains any day!

Best,

Bob

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  20. ddd

ddd KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 6, 2003
    Bob, what a classic! What an amazing classic art knife by the best!
    And what an experience it must be to hold in the hand!

All the best,
    David Darom (ddd)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.