1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Water under scales

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by DDDWho, Mar 19, 2017.

1. DDDWho

DDDWho

Aug 21, 2015
    I cut up a slab of ribs last night using my 632 Mesa with Micarta scales. After use I washed the knife in water, dried it and set it aside. This morning I got to thinking about water seeping under the scales. I removed the scales to find a seemingly abundance of water. I wiped it off and sprayed a bit of WD40 and put the scales back on.
    I realize the blade material is stainless and the Micarta is nearly indestructible but water left in a non ventilated place has to cause problems at some point and I refuse to remove the scales every time I wash the knife.

Hello 100 series.

2. Makael

Makael Leather Craftsman Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    You could glue them to keep the water out

3. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Sure an easy fix. DM

4. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Maybe a rubber gasket sheet cut to fit.

5. DeSotoSky

DeSotoSky Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Just curious, what kind of glue would you recommend?

6. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    2 part epoxy. DM

7. Badhammer

Badhammer Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2009
    You could apply a thin layer of clear silicone or even a coat of petroleum jelly and reattach the scales.

8. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    That would work as well. DM

9. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Maybe an air compressor?. Wouldn't take much to dry it out. I don't know of a full tang knife with removable scales wouldn't get water under in them.

10. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I agree. I think I would try a good coat of Vaseline/petroleum jelly on the tang and put the scales back on. This should work. But, if it is not satisfactory, I would try silicone. I would do these before permanently gluing down the scales.

11. DDDWho

DDDWho

Aug 21, 2015
    The scales seem to be tight, no gaps and holding it up to light I can't see any space between scales and tang. I'm thinking perhaps the water is getting in around the screws. If this knife is to be used for general purposes I need to get the leak fixed or put it in a drawer and use the 119. I will try some of the things suggested and see what happens

12. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    DDDWho, don't know if you have seen this thread. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ost-and-a-Question-about-Buck-632-Mesa-Knife/

The Mesa seems to be designed as an outdoor knife, not a kitchen knife. If used in food prep then washing and drying it after every use should be expected. If a knife with removable scales is used for food prep, spraying with WD 40 doesn't seem like a good idea...JMHO.

Yes, the 119 would be much better in 'general purpose' use. It wasn't designed as a kitchen knife either but would be easier to clean. Preston

13. J Hubbard

J Hubbard Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 29, 2001
    We don't recommend cleaning with water. Bad things can happen. you are better off wiping most of the BBQ sauce off and then using a mild spray cleaner that evaporates. to finish it up..
    Jeff