1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

What do you consider to be the Omega Speedmaster of Knives...unchanged and still....

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Mathew J, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Mathew J

Mathew J

Apr 7, 2002
    relevant.....

The Speedmaster has been in production since the late 50s and is virtually unchanged which includes a plastic crystal when most others have moved on to sapphire, larger cases, and more modern features....yet the Speedy is a true classic that IMHO is as relevant today as it was then....

What if any knives/brands would you consider to be comparable to the Speedy Pro and or Omega...

Thanks

2. Sword and Shield

Sword and Shield

Apr 3, 2004
    The Buck 110. Nearly as old, and unchanged. The Case 3254 in carbon is there, as well- basically unchanged since the 20s.

3. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2011
    fixed randall 1. folder yep buck 110. but i dont like to compare knives to cars or chronographs. unless we are comparing heuers to knives.;)

4. Bill1170

Bill1170

Dec 20, 2007
    Anything by Randall would qualify. Timeless lines and wonderful in hand.

5. slimshaneee

slimshaneee

Jun 24, 2008
    I thought of buck 110 or 112

6. JWRobinson

JWRobinson

Mar 31, 2012
    Some astronauts got Case MC-1's issued so that sort of fits but not a "timeless design" like my Speedmaster Pro (mechanical). Other Astronauts carried Randals so I'll have to vote for the Model 15 Airman.
    BTW. The Moonwatch series uses a "hesalite crystal" and not plastic. They scratch easier and I've had mine polished a few times but they were intentional used so small sharp pieces of sapphire crystal would not be floating about the capsule should something happen to the watch.

7. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I first thought of Buck but I think Randall would be a better choice.

Even thought he Speedmaster is still available in almost its original form, it is also available with sapphire crystals and it is also available in restyled versions. By coincidence I've been wearing my Omega Seamaster Pro this week.

My Randall's:

[​IMG]

My Omega's (wearing the blue one this week):

[​IMG]

8. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I also thought about the Randall's and Buck 110. There's also Opinel, and some of the Victorinox SAKs have been around a long time, and there's the Kabar and F-S of course. Some of the EK knives haven't changed in a long time. What about the Marbles Ideal?

9. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency

Jun 28, 2007
    Sebenza is more in the same pricerange as the Omega. However it's been tweaked more over the years.

10. kaosu04

kaosu04

Apr 26, 2005
    I would vote for the sebenza too. Small revisions but very much the same. The speedmaster is the same way. modified just enough to stay current with the times

11. Sufler

Sufler Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2005
    How could you mention the "Moon" watch and not the model 17 Astro in the same sentence?

http://www.randallknives.com/catalog.php?action=modeldetail&id=24

For a folder? As previously mentioned... Buck 110, Sebenza. Interestingly enough, a Spyderco Delica/Endura would fit the bill too. Like the continuous subtle improvements to the Speedmaster, the Spyderco has also seen subtle changes that don't take away from original iconic design.

My perception of Omega has changed now that they've gone with in-house movements and made themselves less accessible to the "general" public - they're pursuing a certain level of exclusivity. Seven years ago I would have compared Omega to be more like Benchmade (710)... not any more.

Looking at it from another perspective, since Omega is now worn by James Bond... I'd like to guess what sort of folding knife he'd carry. Probably a William Henry. ;-)

My question would be... which knife matches the Submariner? hehe

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  12. Mathew J

Mathew J

Apr 7, 2002
    Hey all,

So yes sorry for calling it "plastic" and not hesalite....and also I should have been clearer in specifically saying the Speedmaster Professional Moon Watch with Hesalite front and steel back, forget at times I am not on a watch board as that is normally where I do the bulk of my posting.

Also I was thinking folder, not fixed but either would suffice for the sake of the discussion I guess.

With that said, and knowing of the Randall Astro model, I personally equate Randall as a whole more with Rolex but that is as someone who knows only very little about them beyond some of their history, availability (or lack thereof), pricing, and seeming mixed emotions of communities about their products.

I would personally have suggested the Sebenza but it is only what 20 years old and I hear alot of people compare CR to Rolex again, guessing due to price point when compared to other makers in the market.

As for Suffler, the Subdate would have to be a knife that has a classic "style" but has been pretty modified to update to current tastes and styles, as to me the new model is pretty "modernized" with a larger case, ceramic bezel, and the only true improvement with the better bracelet and clasp

Thanks

13. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I thought I recognized your name from days in the late 90's and early 00's on timezone. But its a big world and internet and could be lots of matthew j's out there. Figure now you are the same fellow. Still a rolex guy or have you evolved?

14. Badhammer

Badhammer Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Buck 110 and 119, timeless!

15. Mathew J

Mathew J

Apr 7, 2002
    Hey,

So yup that is me, still on timezone as well as watchuseek, that is pretty much the extent of my forum participation these days and even that is getting to be less and less.

As for watches, if money were to fall from the sky then there are plenty of brands I would love to own, but given that hasn't happened yet I still tend to gravitate towards those which are not too expensive and "reasonable" to service.

Not really into Rolex any longer, still own one, but now more of a fan of Omega, especially the Speedy pro, I owned one briefly and switched it for a white blue aqua terra, but am thinking of selling my Submariner for another Speedy Pro as I feel that just speaks to me. I also find I prefer to post in the Omega forums as well as like the attitude in there more, not as much self importance and or they don't put the brand on some pedestal, rather just some good people that like the watches.

Here is my AT just cause I love posting pics of it:

[​IMG]

16. Sufler

Oct 15, 2005
    Agreed. I myself like the non-Cs too.

So, which folding knife have you decided on?

:thumbup:

17. JWRobinson

JWRobinson

Mar 31, 2012
  18. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    I'm not sure where you got your information about the Omegas, but maybe 8 years or so ago, I tried to get my old late 60's vintage Omega repaired at a big authorized dealer and they told me that Swatch Group, who owns Omega and a number other old brands, was no longer supporting the old classic watches. Once their supply of parts they inherited ran out, tough titties.

19. JWRobinson

JWRobinson

Mar 31, 2012
    They still support them. My wife just got me a Seamaster at the Jared's near you in Citrus Park last month. Per them warranties are no problem but all the new Omega's are about $2500 more expensive as they have switched to their own movements, screws in the bracelets, and the ceramic on some models. The older one's movements were made outside (not sure who) but any decent shop can fix them. I had the hair spring replaced in my Speedmaster a few years ago at a place in Trinity FL as it was out of warranty anyway. Quick and inexpensive. Anyway, the salesman did seem a little concerned as I think he knows most of us who buy Omegas are not trying to emulate wearing a Rolex and the company seems to be wanting to compete with Rolex in terms of price and proprietary movements.

20. Sufler

Oct 15, 2005
    Omega used ETA supplied movements. These movements were "modified" by Omega. Plenty of companies did this including Breitling and so on, this was a few years ago. Swatch group is now the owner of ETA and will only supply ETA movements to within Swatch group watch entities. Omega is owned by Swatch Group. However, Omega's business plan has changed. They're growing in exclusivity. They're pouring more money into more technological advancements including their proprietary and patented escapements. In the 50s, 60s, and throughout most of the 70s Omega was the watch brand... not Rolex. I can only guess that they are trying to emulate that today.

:thumbup: