1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

What do you think of the new Busse Sword?

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by BePrepared, Jun 8, 2012.

1. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    This was introduced today

2. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Any blade with INFI is outstanding.
    This Kat is too long for most folks. I hope Jerry offers a 26" blade next. That length would be perfect!

3. horseclover

horseclover

Nov 21, 2000
    I find it hype in the first order and some may feel I will burn in hell for saying so but get a grip. Some are going to appreciate and spend on a "wonder" non traditional sword and more power to them but the whole promo of 'come on down, we'll cut a deal and be glad to have your money".

My two cents or so. Call it a buck three eighty's worth and I'll leave it at that. I know how I would rather spend the money but others are welcome to jump on the Busse bus.

Enjoy

GC

4. David Stifle

David Stifle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 20, 2008
    It looks like it has a very slender handle. Not having handled it, I wonder about the gripability factor when in a full swing.

5. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    I believe it has an identical handle size to the Busse AK47 which has a PERFECT grip for me (medium sized hands)

6. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I'll be honest--I think it looks way out of proportion. :eek:

7. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Jest like Jerry. :)
    That's a joke, folks. I love Jerry.
    And let me say, INFI is not hype. Use an INFI knife and you will see.

8. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    as much as i love all things Busse, i don't love the proportions myself. I don't find a 31" blade to be practical

IMHO the best busse swords to date are these 20" blade

[​IMG]

And these. 15" blade

[​IMG]

9. glockboy

glockboy

Oct 14, 2003
    Love it.

10. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    i would really like to see a side by side toughness test between the best traditional katana made today, and a Busse INFI sword.

i have a feeling that the INFI blade would out perform the traditional blade in every single category except cutting.

I would bet money that edge retention and lateral stress testing would end up HUGELY in the Busse's favor

11. SeaxyBeast

SeaxyBeast

Feb 2, 2011
    Busse's swords have never really spoken to me. I prefer a more classical aesthetic and don't see a lot of problem with ordinary carbon steel if the feel and temper are right. But that just leaves one more Busse for those who can't get enough of the modern 'tactical' look so it works out well for both sides.

12. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    I do believe that a zero ground Busse sword will cut, or out cut, the best of them.

13. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    i'm sure it would if you gave it a grind similar to that found on a katana, but i wonder how that would affect durability

14. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    It's INFI and INFI is extremely durable.

15. horseclover

horseclover

Nov 21, 2000
    The hype is the "come on down and spend money on me" while presenting a new blade. They may be the best blades in the world but then why does the introduction have to read so LOUD. It is an instant turn off for me, regardless of the product.

By the way, I have been on this board (and others) for some time and one might assume that I am familiar with the Busse products, even if I have not used one. I don't hate, Jerry or his product. I just don't find I need to be on that bus or spend money on his goods. I have no realistic expectation to ever need his knives or swords as a tool vs practical knife and sword like use.

Cheers

GC

16. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    I guess for me, what it comes down to is that i want blades that i can actually USE

i don't expect to ever be in a situation where a sword is the right tool for the job, but if i am, i want the sword that i have to be up to every task i might need

A katana will excel a slicing human parts off, but wouldn't last long if used to baton logs or chop limbs to create a temporary shelter

A busse sword will do as well against human targets, but hold an edge MUCH longer, and it also doubles as a survival tool

17. SeaxyBeast

SeaxyBeast

Feb 2, 2011
    Sounds like what you really want is a Busse bolo, then. The only reason to have a blade shape like that is to provide reach in combat and that reach comes at a price in handling for other tasks. People who needed more versatility for daily survival use a different blade shape.

18. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    yeah, i could see that, but i have training in using a katana/waki and it's by far the best blade shape for me to use defensively

I am aware of the losses in pure utility, but it does have the capacity to be effective there

19. bobbystoney

bobbystoney

Dec 13, 2010
    What do I think about them?

I think I need a couple.

20. MEJ

MEJ

Jul 24, 2011
    Zombie killing perfection!
    How much did those go for?