1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

What is Sleipner steel similar to?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by FlaMtnBkr, Jan 3, 2010.

1. FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Oct 20, 2004
    Does anyone know what steel Uddeholm Sleipner is similar to? It is supposed to be a tool steel and has the following alloys:

C 0.9
    Si 0.9
    Mn 0.5
    Cr 7.8
    Mo 2.5
    V 0.5

I'm no expert on this so any info that is known or can be speculated from the alloy content would be greatly appreciated! I assume that with the chromium at only 7.8 that it will rust fairly easily. It would be great if someone could tell me what other steel this should behave like (stain resistance, toughness, etc). The knife is supposed to shoot for a rockwell hardness of 60-61 if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Ryan

2. Dagon

Dagon

Nov 12, 2007
    HERE is an ├╝ber-informative link to a datasheet pdf.

I read on another steel site that it can well replace D2, with reduced chipping risk.

3. FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Oct 20, 2004
    I have seen that and also seen the reference to being similar to D2. I also don't see anything about it being a particle metal so I guess I was wrong about that.

Anyone else have any experience or thoughts on this steel?

Thanks!

4. chipper1

chipper1

Oct 11, 2012
    looks like another ok steel nothing special - but take a look at the Uddeholm Vanadis 60 !!!!

5. salmonkiller

salmonkiller

Dec 9, 2006
    A super fancy sounding steel similar to D2

6. Gator97

Gator97 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2000
    It's not all that similar to D2, however there are several direct equivalents listed here - Bohler-Uddeholm Sleipner Steel. Lionsteel is pretty happy with it BTW.

7. idaho

idaho

May 5, 2005
    Sleipner is one of 8% Chrome, Molybdenum carbides tool steel family.
    This family is quite large, starts from less than 0,5% carbon, and ends at over 1,1% carbon.

Steel from this family has good response to secondary hardening, high stain resistance - chrome is dissolved in matrix, and higher toughness to wear resistance than "common" tools steels like D2.
    It means that you get better toughness at desired hardness/wear resistance and vice versa.

For me it is near perfect knife steels.
    You take 0,5%C type for 10 inch blade and 0,9%C type for 4 inch thin blade.

8. TRUSOPPS

TRUSOPPS KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 21, 2016
    http://www.uddeholm.com/files/PB_Uddeholm_sleipner_english.pdf

very good steel for knives, maybe little better than D2.

9. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    This is the steel used in the 2014 Blade Magazine Overall Knife of the Year. It was the CRKT Hi Jinx (Ken Onion design) made by Lion Steel.

10. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    It's kind of in a similar category to 3V and vasco/cruwear/PD#1/Z wear etc. A bit tougher than D2 and maybe a bit more wear resistant , near M2 fully hard ( rc 64-65) wear resistance wise. Everything from dies to industrial slitter knives.