1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

What is the best lubricant and/or rust inhibitor?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Folderguy, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Folderguy

Folderguy

Jun 26, 2010
    What is the best lubricant and/or rust inhibitor?

While 3 in 1 oil works alright for lubricating the pivots in folders, I suppose there are superior products available.

I've found some pages online evaluating several different products for rust inhibition for firearms, but wonder what the best stuff is for a folder's pivot. I'd especially like to know which product will produce the smoothest, longest lasting lube for a folder's pivot.

Eezox apparently was the best of the rust inhibiting products, better than Breakfree.

Given the various qualities of lubricants available, which one is the best overall?

What do you think?

2. 2brothers

2brothers

Apr 22, 2007
    http://www.super-lube.com/where-to-use-super-lube-ez-160.htm

You can find it at auto parts, sporting goods and hardware stores.
    Both in grease and oil. Excellent product

3. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman

Sep 19, 2009
    Chris Reeve's flourinated grease is my favorite. it's a bit pricey but it's grease so I think it'll last longer than stuff like 3-in-1 oil, which is more or less what I used to use. the CRK grease has a bit more resistance, but I felt oils kind of made the knives seem too loose.

4. Folderguy

Folderguy

Jun 26, 2010
  5. Folderguy

Folderguy

Jun 26, 2010
    Actually, I'd like the smoothest, slickest lubricant that will last and not break down easily. Is the resistance of the CRK grease markedly greater than 3-in-1?

6. ec9

ec9

Jul 25, 2010
    I use Mil-Comm MC2500 on all my knives and guns. I live in FL and have never had rust on anything the stuff is great. I usually just buy the 2oz spray bottle.

7. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman

Sep 19, 2009
    no I don't think it is. I thnk the knives can still be deployed quickly if necessary, but i just won't feel loose, it'll be very smooth though. it's about $15 I think. it's thicker than oils so it'll definitely last long.

edit: has anyone ever tried dow33 or dow55 on their knives?

8. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Birchwood Casey made a product called Sheath. The best rust preventative I've ever used.

9. Hitzy

Hitzy

Jul 14, 2010
    Breakfree CLP, same stuff I use on my guns

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  10. seelow123

seelow123

Oct 4, 2008
    i just use regular gun oil/lube,works fine with all my knives.

11. j man

j man

Aug 1, 2010
    I use Automotive Silicone. Dirt & grit will not stick to it . Nothing will stick to it.:thumbup:

12. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman

Sep 19, 2009
    I always thought of Breakfree CLP as a jack of all trades, but a master of none. I've got some right here, but I always use an oil or grease for lubricating

13. Hitzy

Hitzy

Jul 14, 2010
    I got a gallon of it free, been using it for about 10 years and still have some left.
    It's a great lube and rust inhibitor, not the greastest cleaner.

14. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    by far and I have used everything on firearms and blades is

Sentry Solutions tuff Glide and there other prouducts like there grease and bore coat are top notch

15. Alann45

Alann45

Jul 4, 2009
    :thumbup: Used it for years on my guns too, seems to work just fine on my knives.

16. 2brothers

2brothers

Apr 22, 2007
    http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-oil-with-ptfe-high-viscosity-ez-56.htm

The 51010 Oiler. Gets into tight places and works great on fishing reels.
    It's impervious to saltwater, gasoline and is safe on everything.

http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-multipurpose-grease-ez-49.htm

This is the grease that I use for assisted opening cavities. Stays put and won't run or separate. 1/2oz tube is plenty.
    Academy has both, I believe Dick's Sporting Goods has it too.

And no, I do not work for them. :)

17. tskorte

tskorte

Jun 27, 2010
    I use sunflower oil (or any oil used for cooking really) for mine (keep in mind I am learning on the subject of knives, just heard from it from my pal which has some knowledge, hehe). That way I can use my knives to cut bread etc. withouth getting some serious stomach warfare. :)

18. Beyond You

Beyond You

Jan 26, 2008
    wd-40

19. T Schloz

T Schloz

Oct 3, 2001
    Breakfree CLP is what I use.

Tom

20. Reorx

Reorx

May 5, 2010
    As mentioned above, I use the same thing that I use on my firearms... I like Weapon Shield... Do some research - you might like it too! ;)