1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

What is this 112?

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by Plumberdv, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Plumberdv

Plumberdv

Sep 26, 2008
    I really like this little beauty, but I'm curious about it's original origin. I'd call it a build out except that it doesn't have a build out number. It has what I think is a "Special Projects" number but I've not been able to find it in any of the lists. The regular 112 is a "0112BRS" where this one is a "0112BRSSP17", and I'm guessing (speculating really) stands for Special Projects 17.

Does anyone have any information about it? Who ordered them, etc.?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. sitflyer

sitflyer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    I saw one of them, and it was listed as a Build Out...
    But I see that the code on the box would indicate otherwise...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  3. Plumberdv

Plumberdv

Sep 26, 2008
    I know that's what the seller says. I have about thirty or so buildouts and they all have "BO" in the number though. Such as "0112BO1" or "0110BO6", etc.

4. sitflyer

Mar 10, 2011
    Yeh, sorry about that, I went to check my build out boxes and caught that:eek:

5. Sithus1966

Sithus1966

Jan 24, 2008
    That's a strange duck indeed. The 450 is usually a rubber handled model.

[​IMG]

6. BG42EDGE

BG42EDGE Banned BANNED

Nov 6, 2009
    Excuse me, but isn't that the duck everybody has been saying they should make?

A 112 with a drop point?

7. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, but it looks good with that blade. I've always like the Prote'ge' it is lights feels good in the hand and came with a lanyard hole. DM

8. jb4570

jb4570 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Hi Dave,

Send an email to Joe H. He can look it up via the number on the box!
    jb4570

9. Plumberdv

Plumberdv

Sep 26, 2008
    I'll do that today.

Well, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck......................... It sure fits the description of a buildout except for the number, doesn't it. :)

10. sitflyer

Mar 10, 2011
    I'm now curious as to how many of these are out there...hope Joe chimes in on this one for you Plumberdv...

11. imafritz

imafritz

Dec 30, 2008
    Is the BRSSP for Protege or Special Project?

Its not listed in the special projects lists.

12. Plumberdv

Plumberdv

Sep 26, 2008
    Kev, I've checked out a few of my collection and every one of the knives that I own with SP in the number was made for some vendor or the other. For instance, the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 110 is 0110RWSSP73.

13. oregon

oregon

Jan 12, 2005
    I was chating with Jacob (who lives in Post Falls neck of the woods), vendor in question, and it was his opinion that this was a production model that Buck once made. Therefore bringing that model back in a limited manner even this model gets its old model ID and not a unique buildout ID. Also, I didn't think that the pic looked like Rosewood but he assured me that it is Rosewood.

14. imafritz

imafritz

Dec 30, 2008
    Got it Dave, I didnt read your whole op to see you were already speculating that:eek: A.D.D. strikes me again.

15. Plumberdv

Plumberdv

Sep 26, 2008
    Interesting theory. I've sent Joe an e-mail asking him to look it up for me. Another thing, the handle material is definatly NOT Rosewood. It's the same laminate as on the current 112's and 110's. Later I'll take comparison pictures of the rosewood handled 110's and this one to show the difference.

16. oregon

oregon

Jan 12, 2005
    Thank you Dave. An attractive folder on all fronts. I don't think that I would have ever discovered it were it not for your sharp and clever eyes. Challenging model number.

I've talked with jacob about commissioning builds at Buck based on his specs. It is possible. I notice that he has a huge relationship with our friend in your state. Fun to see the embellishments done by the master.

17. Plumberdv

Plumberdv

Sep 26, 2008
    Here's the 112 between two rosewood handled models. You can see that the handles don't look like rosewood on the 112. Please excuse the moustache hair on the AG!

[​IMG]

18. Joe Houser

Joe Houser

Aug 24, 1999
    I remember the knife, a standard 112 with a 450 blade, but i dont know if they were made for someone in particular or not. Usually, if you see a build out, it is an attempt to use up old inventory. Since the 450 is now discontinued, maybe they did this as a build out to use up extra 450 blades. The only problem with this thought is that I dont see them using a SP (Special Projects) part number on a build out.
    I'll be back in the office again sometime next week and will hopefully find someone that knows the answer. I'll relay that answer to Dave's email.

19. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Thanks Joe. It's been a while. DM

20. Plumberdv

Plumberdv

Sep 26, 2008
    Yes, thank you Joe. Don't be such a stranger!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you when and if you find the answer.