What knife do you take into the woods?

I'm also a fan of the TOPS tracker.A new addition to my hiking kit is the D2 exrteme Ka-Bar.I switch between that and a Fallkniven F1.

savagesicslayer said:
TOPS tracker ... D2 extreme Ka-Bar ... Fallkniven F1.
You've got a nice range of shapes and sizes there. Is any one in particular a favorite for a specific purpose, or are you developing your skills with all of them?

The Tracker is my primary knife.It's simple,tough and reliable.But I use them all for anything I can.The D2 extreme is new to me but I used to cary a 1095 Ka-Bar for years so the transition isn't very hard.

I don't ever go deep into the wilderness, but if I did, I'd probably carry my Strider AR or Spyderco Manix for small jobs and a Becker Patrol Machete for the big jobs.

Victorinox Hiker and a $10 Frosts, but I usually don't go to far off the beaten path.

If I am going to be in the woods for a while then I take my RD7 a multitool and a minicovert. Sometimes I will bring my Machete or small Ka-bar instead of the RD7 but that is happening less and less.

shaldag said:
I always have a few folders in my pocket (some of you nitpickers might consider that I carry more than a few).

When I'm walking around in the woods, I do like a fixed blade. At the moment, my favorite one is:

orig.jpg

Big enough for just about any job, except really hardcore brush clearing.
Small enough for comfortable carrying.

That looks very nice!

Schrade Sharpfinger.

Alternately, Bear and Son Feathermate Zytel skinner, Gerber Profile 4" (makes a great rock hammer), and probably the exact same $9 Frost fixed-blade skinner the poster above mentioned.

If I'm going far from the parking lot or staying overnight, Cold Steel SRK. Great for chopping down trees, cutting up old tires, opening cans, etc.

One or two folders (Gerber or Kershaw), and the Kit Carson F4 knockoff that my keys are attached to.

A pair of cheap multitools.

WEB2 said:
modified ontario 6" butcher knife

That had not occurred to me, but the more I think about it, the cooler it sounds.

Modified how? and what do you use for a sheath?

Sometimes I carry a Randall 12, but latley I have carried a Busse FSH or my Roberts Bowie. Along with that I carry my SAK Forester/huntsman(pending) and my military. It seems like alot but when you have a sak in one pocket my mili in another, and I have my large blade on my belt. If I am goin camping I bring a grainsford Bruks and my Stihl :D (saves time).

Cold Steel, Recon Tanto...I'm looking for an excuse to use it lol...too big for EDC....perfect camp knife....

Philippine made bolo (pre WW2) on the belt , CS X2 Voyager in pocket, Emerson Lagriffe (neck), Ontario Wakazashi (shoulder harness), Gryphon M35
duck taped to ruck.

I carry one, and sometimes two, of three knives into the woods with me. One is a damascus blade with stag handle that I've had for 15 years ... maker unknown. No markings on it at all. The other two are blades by Angel Sword. One is a wootz blade with bone handle and an edge with wear that is incredible. The other is an Angel Sword hand forged blade with a curved stag handle that fits my hand like it was made for me. The damascus blade has been all over Colorado and the Texas hill country with me. The other two I've carried all through the hill country and used on many camping trips this past year or two.

None of the three were cheap but they've held up better than any other knives I've had and two out of the three have saved me a few trips to the hospital. The only reason the third hasn't had the same dubious honor is that I'm getting a bit more cautious in my old age! lol

I would definitely not have a second thought about buying from Angel Sword again.

I'll have to find some time to take photos of them for the forum -- maybe someone here will be able to identify the damacus knife.

Update...

Now that it's not raining every weekend, I've been getting out in the woods again, and fine-tuning my gear. The BRK&T Fox River is working out well, but I got tired of lugging that Leatherman Charge around, considering how little use it gets, and I was always afraid of losing those 1/4" bits. The Vic Huntsman is nice, but I'm really missing the convenience of one-hand opening.

So... I've ditched the Huntsman and Charge for a duo that complements each other very well: a Victorinox One-Hand Trekker and an old Leatherman PST-II.

The OHT hardly weighs more than the Huntsman did; I gain one-hand convenience, a longer and locking blade, a longer saw, but lose scissors. The PST-II gives me the scissors, a better assortment of flat screwdrivers, a diamond file, and of course, pliers; and it weighs less than half what the Charge + bits did.

Oh, as for the Ratweiler... while I love the big beast, I find myself going back to a hatchet for chopping and splitting. I picked up one of those little Vaughan Sub-Zero Hatchets, and over the winter I re-profiled it per OldJimbo's suggestions, and DANG the little bugger works well, and weighs a helluva lot less than my old all-steel Estwing.

Ontario Kukri (from Brigade Quartermaster) in a horizontal kydex rig, Becker Campanion in a kydex sheath from On Scene Tactical (Thanks, Eric) , Gerber Recoil, a large folder (usually CS Recon or CRKT M1), and a Kershaw Chive for digging out stubborn thorns and splinters. I'm still waiting on my hawk from K5 but, when it shows up I'll probably find somewhere to carry it, too. You can never have too many sharp edges around. Gotta watch out for those sly Iowa cottontails... Watch out for the squirrels, too.:eek:

If I'm out hiking and camping, I always take my Marbles Fieldcraft with me. It's the most useful outdoor fixed blade I've ever used, by quite a large margin. I also keep a SAK Huntsman in my pocket, for a multitude of uses. If I’ll be doing any rough camping, a GB hatchet or axe gets packed as well.

For light hiking, I can live with just the SAK Huntsman, or maybe my Swisstool Spirit.

If I’m fishing, I carry my Spyderco Military, along with the Swisstool Spirit. It’s an awesome fishing combination.

I tried carrying a large fixed blade for a couple years, but couldn’t find enough uses for it, to be able to justify the extra weight. It always seemed like a bad compromise between my Fieldcraft and a hatchet or axe.

I tend to carry a large folder, like the CRKT M21-04 or the Spyderco Massad Ayoob; and a fixed blade. My EDC fixed blade of choice is a SRKW Howling Rat, but when I finally get my Battle Rat I'll have to see...

Back