What knives are you hoping to find second hand?

NJBillK

Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications.
First off, I do not want this to turn into a WTB thread.

With that out of the way:
What knives do you have on your hit list that will be dedicated users?

List your top three in order of want or rarest to most common.

Rarest to most common:
1) Wenger Professional 4 layer
2) GEC #98 Camp or Whittler (used works)
3) Camillus C4 & R4

I will likely be grabbing a R4 soon.
I want a new fishing knife, and the Can Opener will be sharpened and have the bottom hook removed to act as a marlin spike.

What are your top three knives?

1. Modern
2. GEC 77 forum knife
3. Modern
Can we keep the thread focused on traditional knives please?

Good luck in your hunt, but I would like to see the thread remain on topic relevant to the subforum.
----
Tot:
I recently saw a site that has their knives sorted by year. I will be digging around to locate it for you.

NJBillK NJBillK thanks. I have found a few by year mostly Case xx and gec and a few other one off collectors club knives from other brands that were dated also but none I looked at so far have seemed special enough for those three years. Interested to see what you find though.

For me, just about any #15 or 77 Barlow in sawcut bone. I miss most of the ones I "need" when they show up on the exchange, but I have gotten lucky a few times.

1. Camillus/Fisk OVB Southwest Bowie
2. Case/Bose Norfolk
3. Queen/Burke English Jack

I've already found an imperial h6 fixed blade,so that's one check mark but here's what's left.

1 tramontina Bowie or similar " original Bowie "
2 US demo knife

Then there's an awesome little " USA " clip point key chain slipjoint with white handles which GT has posted pictures of that I'd love to find an example of. The problem is that they don't have any markings besides USA ( may be colonial ) so I guess i can't count a mystery knife.

Last edited:
There's one knife that checks off more boxes for me than any other as a user, but even if I could afford a new one, I'd be too hesitant to use it

1. Case/Bose Wharncliffe trapper antique bone
2. Same as above in chestnut bone
3. Same as above in any other material (although I think there's one more Jigged bone I'm forgetting...maybe)

Something over 100 years old.
Any with MoorMan's feed advertising (my grandfather was a salesman for them - I have a few, always looking for more).

1-A.G. Russell Premium Scout (Ebony)
2-Randall model 1-7 (Leather)
3-Buck 110 (Stag)

I found an Imperial Demo knife, Mil-K-818 stamped with my birth year (1964) for $5 a few years back. It was cheap as 1/8" was missing from the tip, and the take-down pin was missing. I re-profiled it to a symmetrical spearpoint and carried the heck out of it. There is something satisfying about carrying an object as old as oneself that has been put back into use by one's own hand. I doesn't look new, but neither do I. Sharpened up very well and sure can still get the job done without flinching.

Last year, I augmented the Imperial with a Colonial 2205 Military Scout knife marked 2016 to commemorate a trip to Normandy to finally visit my uncle's grave. I find that this one spends a lot more EDC pocket time than I had thought it would, I suspect because of the beveled edges on the handle. I find it a bit more comfortable for longer periods of use than the original Mil-K-818.

I have considered purchasing an Imperial 1964 marked version in undamaged but used condition, but have yet to push the buy button. I think part of me has become attached to the one I re-worked....

I only buy second hand at shows or that has been the case so far. I have always wanted a Case Barlow like the first Case that I got as a kid and I keep looking at shows. So, it would be a 60's vintage knife. But I am not going to spend $100 on one. I keep an eye out for certain Schrade USA folders also. I have a soft spot for them.

If I run onto an old Blackjack, I might bite as well. I like them.

Case-Bose Norfolk would be very nice, bone scales

Mike
I'd like to add a bone handled Norfolk to my collection also. I've got one in Ebony that is just great. So great I need another.

I would like find a Northwoods Norfolk someday.

But I've also started watching the old knives sticky at the top and several there have got me more interested in finding an old knife. Don't really have a type or brand in mind yet; 2 blades, good condition with a shield and 100 years old or older seems like a good place to start.

NJBillK NJBillK thanks. I have found a few by year mostly Case xx and gec and a few other one off collectors club knives from other brands that were dated also but none I looked at so far have seemed special enough for those three years. Interested to see what you find though.
Message sent.

Back