What to take?

Next week, I'm helping my friend move way up north to Humbolt county and will be staying for awhile helping her get settled in and to start furnishing a small apartment she owns that will be mine for when I visit and vacation there. I'll take an assortment of Bucks to leave since I plan on flying up there most of the time when I go for a visit. I don't want to face the issue of taking knives with me on the flights in the future.

I'm going to take either an early Empress set or a newer set with the wood handles for sure. That should take care of my kitchen duties, and of course I'll take a 301. I'll probably do some fishing in the area, so I'll need something for fish cleaning and bait cutting. I'm sure that there will be other chores around the "farm" that will require a sharp edge, so I'm open to suggestions.

If it were you, what would you take to leave there?

Dave,

You need to take one of everything for your home away from home;).

jb4570

You have the small pocket knife covered.

If it were me, the next knife I would take would be a locking folder with a blade in the 4" range, give or take. I Consider that kind of knife a must have when up at camp. Big enough to get most any job done. Discrete enough that it won't bother anybody when I carry it. I have a 110, a 486 and an Opinel #10 and one of those is pretty much with me at all times.

If youre leaving a tackle box, a fixed blade stores easily there.

Gotta take, your very life may depend upon it, something that can pull the cork from a bottle of that terrific Pinot Noir known to inhabit N. CA. where its cold, colder than your neck of the woods anyway, and hypothermia can set in w/o much warning. A Buck Swiss Army Knife might just be the ticket.

It happened to me in Yellowstone. Hot water back at the lodge didn't help. Wine saved me. Cork screw gave me access to life saving wine! Learn from my mistakes. Somebody should.

Last edited:
Dave,

You need to take one of everything for your home away from home;).

jb4570

John, I'd love to do that, but the apartment isn't large enough. ;)

You have the small pocket knife covered.

If it were me, the next knife I would take would be a locking folder with a blade in the 4" range, give or take. I Consider that kind of knife a must have when up at camp. Big enough to get most any job done. Discrete enough that it won't bother anybody when I carry it. I have a 110, a 486 and an Opinel #10 and one of those is pretty much with me at all times.

If youre leaving a tackle box, a fixed blade stores easily there.

Yep, as a minumum, I'll take a 110, a Vantage and pehaps a fixed blade or two. I don't even own an Opinel. I had one at one time and gave it away. I just couldn't warm up to a knife that looks like a High School shop project. ;)

Up at camp? This is the only kind of "camp" I've been up to in years.

Lopez2-17-10.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta take, your very life may depend upon it, something that can pull the cork from a bottle of that terriric Pinot Noir known to inhabit N. CA. where its cold, colder than your neck of the woods anyway, and hypothermia can set in w/o much warning. A Buck Swiss Army Knife might just be the ticket.

It happened to me in Yellowstone. Hot water back at the lodge didn't help. Wine saved me. Cork screw gave me access to life saving wine! Learn from my mistakes. Somebody should.

Well Steve, I guess that I'm not a true Californian. I live right in the middle of wine country, seems everyone around is growing grapes and making wine. In fact, the horse ranch that Laurie is retiring from is being turned into a vinyard and winery. But..................................................... I CAN'T STAND THE STUFF! :barf: I'd sooner take medicine! Laurie doesn't care for it either, though she will drink it under duress but only if it's all that's available.

The Swiss Buck is a good idea though. I have several versions and I just might need the corkscrew to open a bottle for other folks.:)

Don't get me wrong, I never touch strong drink, well except for medicinal purposes and only as a last resort.

However, if you should find yourself falling flat on your face, after self-treatment for hypothermia say for example, have an excuse ready like: I'm carrying so much cutlery that my weight distribution is off, or the floor was uneven and needs sanding, or "your excuse here" etc.

And, had you been there that night in the Yellowstone Lodge and seen this overgrown lug face plant on the dance floor, you would have heard the uneven floor excuse mumbled to concerned nearby citizens that October night.

Don't get me wrong, I never touch strong drink, well except for medicinal purposes and only as a last resort.

However, if you should find yourself falling flat on your face, after self-treatment for hypothermia say for example, have an excuse ready like: I'm carrying so much cutlery that my weight distribution is off, or the floor was uneven and needs sanding, or "your excuse here" etc.

And, had you been there that night in the Yellowstone Lodge and seen this overgrown lug face plant on the dance floor, you would have heard the uneven floor excuse mumbled to concerned nearby citizens that October night.

OK Steve, I'll believe it if you will. ;) I didn't say that I didn't take a taste now and then, but my taste runs to something clear or gold that goes well with salt and lime or an occasional foaming brew. :D

So far, I'm packing these up. With them, I think I have just about all my bases covered but on second thought, I think I'll also take a filet knife and one of the new bait knives along. Nothing fancy, just a good serviceable assortment. I have dups of all, so they won't be missed here at home.

ForLoletaa.jpg

ForLoletab.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, I just realized that neither the BuckTool nor the Swiss Buck has a corkscrew so I'll throw this one in just in case.

ForLoletac.jpg

David, where on the central coast? Within FM radio range of KPiG? Man, I miss that station. That and Watsonville Speedway and the East Texas BBQ.

Regarding Opinels, I think they pair nicely with Buck lockers. Same honest value and ruggedness. Unlike shop class projects, I've never seen a busted one short of total abuse. The Bucklite Max series is close in terms of performance / gram but to be honest, my 482 has already developed wobble and no Opinel ive used wobbles, despite use just as hard or harder.

Looks like you've got the locking folder category well covered. Would love to hear your thoughts on usin th 110, 486 and Vantage side by each.

I agree with the saw, hatchet and 119 (or the wooden handled Empress Set in your case). I always carry these in my truck during my travels, plus a 110 and shovel. They have gotten me out of several jams. Yet, I travel in more hostile areas than your motorhome setting. So heat is with me always. I like your idea of a good bait knife too. DM

Folding saw and hatchet... Buck of course......300

I agree with the saw, hatchet and 119 (or the wooden handled Empress Set in your case). I always carry these in my truck during my travels, plus a 110 and shovel. They have gotten me out of several jams. Yet, I travel in more hostile areas than your motorhome setting. So heat is with me always. I like your idea of a good bait knife too. DM

I don't have a Buck saw and only have one Buck hatchet. I guess I'll just have to hope that those kind of items are already there. I could take a 119, but I figured the large butcher knife in my kitchen set would do.

Dave, I also carry the BuckTool in my travels as I find it very useful. Its a ugly knife but a good tool. DM

Back